Friday, November 8, 2013

New York Comic Con 2013 weekend part 1

NYCC is a convention I always dread and look forward to at the same time. On one hand you get so many free combos in organized or semi organized settings, on the other hand you have to fight tooth and nail for these combos, and even break the rules. Let us see how all this played out. I will divide this report into two. Part 1 is Thursday and Friday, which you will read here. 

Thursday

My NYCC journey actually started away from NYC about 1 hour from my house. It was an event where I planned to meet X-Men actors Ben Foster and Taylor Kitsch. Director Peter Berg was also supposed to be there. 

I get myself into the event. Turns out Ben Foster no showed! Sucks cause I had photos for him to sign, but not a huge deal as I already have a combo with him. Then I see Taylor Kitsch and ask for a photo op. He was nice and can be. I could have asked for autos right there and then but I didn't want to risk losing my good standing among some of the people at this event. Though I probably would have been ok. I walk around and see Peter Berg and get a photo op. He's as nice as can be. 

The event ends and I wait outside for Taylor. He signs my 8x10s no problem. 

Former US Navy Seal and book author Marcus Luttrell comes out. I figure might as well ask for a photo op. The woman with him (his wife maybe?) goes "you got a photo inside". I look at her with this face and tell her "no I didn't" she goes "I know I saw you but go ahead". I then proceed to show her the photo ops I did get inside as I take a photo op with Marcus, who was nice as can be. 

Full list of photo ops

Taylor Kitsch photo op

Taylor Kitsch autographs



After this I head to Joresky's place to spend the night.  

Friday

We arrive at NYCC and get some info for a Vampire Academy signing. We find the table and line up for it. Not far from there is a Felix the Cat booth. I go up to what seems to be the creator of the character, but turns out it's his son. I get a photo op all the same as nothing else is going on. While the Vampire Academy folks were all  names for me they all look like awesome "you never know names" so I figure I might as well get them while they are happy to be doing combos. And boy were they all happy! The signing included actresses Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry, Sami Gayle, actor Dominic Sherwood, director Mark Winters and writer/creator Daniel Winters (he also wrote Batman Returns!). 
I got photo ops and two signed posters. Plus it does look like a decent movie so I may have to check it out. 

After this I go to the booth of John DiMaggio (Bender in Futurama) and elect to only get a photo op to cut down costs. Then to a free signing with Dave Wyndorf, lead singer of hard rock band Monster Magnet (only cause Joresky wanted him, no idea who that is). 

We then get info for the Chucky signing, which was one of my main wants as far as the ticketed signings go. Joresky got a ticket thanks to a friend of his, but I remained ticketless. I stand in line regardless then I SCORE a ticket on the floor! I couldn't believe it! Before I get to the signing table I see someone getting ready to leave. I chase him down and beg for a photo op which he didn't want to do saying he had to leave. But I eventually score that photo op. I had no idea who that was at the time but turns out it's Alex Vincent AKA Andy from the Chucky movies, a want of mine who charges money at cons! As I get to the official signing Jennifer Tilly is her usual friendly self. But I had no need for a photo op. Got her on the Chucky poster though. Also got combos with Don Mancini (director), Brad Dourif (voice of Chucky), Fiona Dourif, and Danielle Bisutti. Besides the poster I had Brad Dourif sign my Cult Classics series 4 Chucky figure! Always a great feeling to get for free somebody who charges money at cons. 

Then I stand in Veronica Taylor's short line and get a photo op. She voiced April O Neil in the 2003 TMNT cartoon. Next up, free combo with Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks and author of World War Z). He and Shane Davis signed a comic book they were promoting. 

Now I wanted to virgilize David S Goyer, who wrote Nolan Batman, Man of Steel, among others. I had a friend hold me a spot as I go to get Tyler Mane. A good name both wrestling wise (WCW) and movie wise (X-Men). He was charging for autographs, but I go up to him and ask for a photo op and he does it without charging me money even coming around the table for me!

Back to David S Goyer and the cast of Da Vinci Demons. I go to to Goyer he goes "I'm only supposed to sign one but I'll do two". I get him on my Dark City blu ray cover and my Man of Steel magazine. But after some persuasion I get him on my Nolan Batman Trilogy booklet from the blu ray set. Then got a photo op with him and the rest of the cast (Tom Riley, Blake Ritson, Laura Haddock, Gregg Chillin). 

Next up was the TMNT signing. Joresky was already there, with a ticket. But I was ticketless. Despite that I manage to get in the signing and scored everybody! Rob Paulsen (voice of Donatello, voiced Raphael in old TMNT series), Greg Cipes (voice of Michaelangelo), Hoon Lee (voice of Master Splinter), Josh Stermin (writer/executive producer) and JR Ventimilia (writer/executive producer). Didn't need a photo op with Rob as I got one last year at NYCC. But I happened to have a vintage TMNT 8x10 on me. The one he signed for me last year got smudged so I was happy for this chance to make it up! And for free nonetheless since he charges as cons! I quickly whipped up my 8x10 and had him sign it. Also got two posters done by everybody. 

We then went to artist's alley. We look for Jerry Ordway, co writer of the Death of Superman story line, but sadly he had gone for the day and was not due back till Sunday. I wanted Peter S Beagle, author of The Last Unicorn. I go there and see his handler discussing prices with a group of girls (how much for DVDs, blu rays, books, etc). While all this was happening I ask him if he could sign my Last Unicorn graphic novel. I wanted it on the title page but he wanted to sign another page. I didn't want to argue so I could discretely walk away from this without paying money. But he wanted it in gold which wouldn't look good on purple. So I ask him to use black which he does. Then I get a photo op and casually walk away with my free combo as his handler is still talking to the girls. We then find out Kevin Eastman is not due till tomorrow. The final get at NYCC is a photo op Liam McIntyre which I split with Joresky. 

I left NYCC having forgotten about Jerry Only of the Misfits, but no big deal as he would be there Saturday. We also missed Jerry Ordway but he comes back Sunday. 



Here is where I got screwed hard. Joresky had some info on Thomas Ian Nicholas. I needed a photo op with him so I drove to the spot. Turns out the time Joresky gave me was completely wrong! And I missed a couple of celebs at another spot where Joresky was 

Had I known the true time I would not even have gone to begin with. So I cut my losses and joined Joresky. We decide, rather stupidly to try for Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz. Already have Craig so Weisz was my main want. We run into none other than  at this spot! When the witching hour came Craig actually posed for me for a split second but I failed miserably. A photo op without a mustache would have been cool but not a huge deal. Weisz was worse than Craig with photo ops. I did however score autographs from both on a program (which technically completes my Daniel Craig combo). So I guess it was at least one step above a complete failure.

Now remember the Mary Elizabeth spot where I would live to fight another day? This day would finally be here! I arrive and there's a woman waiting to meet up with Roger Reese (she must have been his friend or something). So I knew for a fact he was coming out of that particular door (the place has two doors). He comes out and is as nice as can be. I get a combo. I then wait some more and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio from Scarface is there in all her glory! Got a combo and extra from her! Success! We see Alessandro Nivola again but have no need for him I just tell him hello and that I got a photo op with him and he gives me the thumbs up. HCIT. 

For the final spot of the evening, we are outside a venue for Ginger Baker, the drummer of Cream. I would not stay till he comes out (though no one was able to get him). But while there I got a photo op with the drummer of Red Hot Chile Peppers, Chad Smith. This ends a very fruitful day. And it was off to sleep.

NYCC Friday photo ops part 1

NYCC Friday photo ops part 2

post NYCC Friday photo ops

Brad Dourif

Liam McIntyre

Tyler Mane

Roger Reese

Chad Smith

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

Stay tuned for part 2 of my NYCC report which will be Saturday and Sunday (and the full list of autographs from Friday through Sunday at the end of part 2). 

No comments:

Post a Comment