Go to a hotel where a few celebrities are staying. First spotting is actor Jonathan Banks. I get an updated photo but he ignored my autograph request. Then get Mary McCormack, Mickey Guyton, and Andy Grammer. Sadly, all updates or upgrades, nothing fresh.
Later that evening, I decided to try for an upgrade with another big name. This time Sting. Not the WCW legend Sting, but the legendary musician Sting. I first went for Sting in April 2010, over 16 years ago. He wasn't really trying to stop but I manage to get a couple of walk along shots. The photos from that day aren't the best quality. So, this was at least a repeat name with some meaning.
A few years later I saw Sting again at an event with other people. Couldn't get another photo but I got autos. I also saw him another time in NYC where he was giving out autos but I didn't get one.
Now fast forward to May 2026 many years since I last saw Sting and over 16 years since my photo op with Sting. He was doing a show on a very rainy night and after the show he went to the airport to fly out. I manage to see him there and hope to get a combo. He took a photo op with someone but didn't want to take a second one with me.
I then ran after in the lobby, and he was ignoring me and his people began shooing me away. I was now outside in drunk and salvage mode trying to get his guitarist Dominic Miller who was smoking a cigarette.
While waiting for him to finish smoking I look in the lobby and see Sting is still hanging out. I go back inside and try to beg more, and his people try to stop me. But then he signals for me to come on over. I then selfie it and successfully got the photo op. I attempted to ask for an autograph, but he was not having it. Go back outside to wait and get a photo op with Dominic Miller.
Overall, not a bust because I consider this photo op an upgrade over my photo op from 2010. And I got Dominic Miller who was the guitarist in all of Sting's solo albums since 1991 (starting from the third solo Sting album).
Two takeaways from this:
Sting is still rough around the edges 16+ years later. He hasn't changed for the better or for the worst.
At 16 years and 1 month, this may be my longest gap between getting a photo op and getting an update or upgrade photo op.
Fresh off my Sting success I go to a flight the next day for Ryan Cabrera. He is super nice and I get an upgrade plus autographs. I find out NFL player Vince Wilfork is flying in so I get a photo op with him.
Back to the hotel from the previous day. I get an update with Noah Wyle plus autographs and I get a photo op with his wife Sara Wells (who is a minor actress). I see Jonathan Banks and tried to ask for autographs but he outright declined autographs. I see Gary Sinise and get an autograph. Had no need for another photo op. My day ended with a 14 year updated photo with actress Melissa Leo.
No comments:
Post a Comment