Monday, May 26, 2014

Formula One Legend Mario Andretti Signing

I know I have been behind on my reports, and I do intend to make good on them. April and May have been such a busy time combo hunting that I haven't had time to make reports. But I'm kicking off the slump. And there's some good stuff coming, including photo op of the year candidates. 

This was a day in the beginning of April, and I set out early to try and meet Jimmy Carter at a spot. According to a good source he was supposed to be at a spot at 7AM. It puzzled me that a guy his age would be up that early, but I didn't question the source. I got to the spot and it wasn't looking good. No secret service in sight, nothing. As I found out minutes later, he CALLED INTO the event and did not show up (although he was in fact in town). 


Now the day was looking like a total waste, but there was a signing for Formula One Legend Mario Andretti. He was appearing at a Grand Opening for a Virginia Tire and Auto. I figured since I was already out I might as well hit that up. Although I had no merch on me since this wasn't in my plans, and from experience I know free signings hardly if ever have anything good. But I had an MLB ball on me and a camera, so I could hopefully salvage this with a full combo. 

I arrive at a spot and stand in line. I can confidently say that this was the best and fan friendliest signing that mankind has ever held. Where do I start. 

Let's see. You had free drinks, you had free donuts. But it didn't end there. They actually had decent photos to get signed. AND they had a photographer taking people's photos with a big ass camera. They handed you a card where you could download your photo. 

I reached Mario Andretti. Quiet guy but was nice as can be, and you were not rushed for either autographs or photo ops. WOW how refreshing, WOW! None of the "no posed photo ops" bullshit, none of the "no extra items" rubbish. If heaven were made up of autograph signings, they'd all be run just like this one. I got the photo signed and was even asked if I wanted my name on it or not. When it came to the photo op, me being me said I wanted to use my own camera. The photographer put his big ass camera aside and snapped the photo with my camera, then he said he'd snap one with his as well which he did. I then got the MLB signed. 

But it didn't end there. You could go inside the actual place and get a free gift bag! I got the bag and wow the goodies inside! A jump start cable, a tire pressure measuring device, stuff I actually needed to buy but never did! 

Days passed and I went on the link they provided. No bullshit $15 fee for a digital copy, but a nice crisp photo op that I actually preferred over the one taken with my camera! 

While this day was initially a bust, I salvaged it with a combo from an A level race car driver which helps me have a well rounded collection, and I got some free stuff. 
So it was a decent morning 

Photo op

Autographs

FREE STUFF

Overview of the line






No comments:

Post a Comment