Monday, January 9, 2017

First report of 2017: The A list and the freezing cold

The months of December, January, and February I normally hibernate and limit myself to indoor combo hunting. But here there was an event where a good number of A listers were slated to show up and of course there's always a chance of randoms above and beyond who was on the list. Sadly, the spot isn't known to have the best access and has multiple points of entry and exit. Furthermore, historically many bigger names get driven in and out. But as they say, gotta play to win. After all, how devastated would I be if I stayed in a nice warm place and then hear that people did well. I had internal tears as I decided to avoid the worst case scenario (ie me staying home and the event going well). 

I had a few flights but most of them got cancelled as the celebs found other methods of travel. That was a bummer. The only flight I had that was still valid was Jordin Sparks which arrived the day prior to the event. I was doing non-combo related stuff and figured I'd check out that flight because 1) I had some 8x10s printed years ago that never got signed and 2) perhaps other people I don't know about are on the flight. 

When I got there turns out there were Masters that had the same idea I did (ie to check for randoms). 
When the witching hour arrived I was told that Cheryl Hines walked by me. But since I got photo ops with her I didn't make the effort to scramble to baggage and look for her. 

Then it was time for Jordin. After talking to TMZ she was nice as can be. Asked if I have another color pen so I gave her black instead of blue. One picture she signed was a photo op from when I last met her and she remembered the event it was from. I told her she had a good memory. After she was done signing she goes "let's take another picture for your collection". I had no intention of asking her as it would be a downgrade from what I have but since she asked I of course did it. After the first shot she goes "I messed it up let's do another" and we take another shot. Wow why can't all celebs be that nice. With this I got my first combo of 2017. 

The next day was the main event. And boy was it a day I was dreading like no other as I knew I would be in for a long and cold evening, possibly for nothing. I put on 3 layers of socks, 2 layers of pants, 3 layers of tops, plus my coat. 

First I go to a spot for Samuel L Jackson. He does one per and I get my Mace Windu figure signed. Next spot for George Lucas. Wait and he shows up but ignores us all. 

Next up I go wait for the main spot and where I begrudgingly planned to spend the next 10 hours or so. A little bit ago I had received a call from a Master who told me that both Tom Hanks and Stephen Speilberg are slated to show up. Luckily I always keep my random stash of stuff in the trunk of my car and was able to pull out my items for both and have them ready. 

Looks like some activity is brewing up and I leave the warm car to stand there. The spot isn't even open and George Lucas arrives as he realizes he is early. I get an autograph and I get a selfie with Mellody Hobson (already have a great photo op with Lucas so didn't bother). I saw someone else get a second auto and I try for a second but to no avail. 

Saw Meryl Streep stand in line to go into the event. We were three asking for stuff and she goes "sorry I'm not doing it, I'm not working". At one point she even backs up and bumps into me and I apologized. That was a pretty crushing defeat as she was right here next to me, even ran into me, and I had nothing to show for it. 

Next up I get photo ops with Lena Dunham (first fresh actor/actress photo op of 2017), get Charles Barkley (upgrade), and producer Jeffrey Katzenberg. Then David Letterman shows up and just because it's easy and a novelty I get a photo op with santa bearded Letterman (I had seen him with the beard in the past but didn't bother cause it was chaotic and not worth fighting for). 

At this point they began to set up barricades and with barricades more people started joining. Dammit! This went from being "decent" to absolutely garbage! Additionally we were not very close to them. 


Some of the names that showed up 

George Clooney
Don Cheadle
Tom Hanks
Gloria and Emilio Estefan
John Legend
Jordin Sparks
Stephen Speilberg
Paul McCartney
Brad Paisley
Jon Hamm
Usher
Nick Jonas
Steve Harvey
Sarah Jessica Parker
Matthew Broderick 
Bradley Cooper
James Taylor
Harvey Weinstein

I'm sure I'm forgetting more. All I got was actor Wendell Pierce and an update with Gloria Estefan. Also Harvey Weinstein blew me off for a photo op after signing (he was one that I was able to get up to). Wow 2017 just started and not only punches but multiple BIG BLOWS to face all through!  

So we all go since we don't anticipate any activity for at least a little bit. I go to the car as I have to move it from one free spot to another. Grab a bite to eat, park, and head back to the spot.

Some positive things happened:

1) The wretched barricades have taken down.

2) All the guards that were working earlier are now gone (probably their shift ended)

3) All the non combo hunters are gone (leaving 5-7 combo hunters throughout the night)

Thanks to the combination of the cold and not being in NYC, this was a refreshingly low number ESPECIALLY for the caliber and quantity of potential names. 

As I head back to prepare for exits George Lucas, James Taylor, and Harvey Weinstein leave. I get another Lucas auto, James Taylor auto, and blown off again by Harvey Weinstein. 

Shortly after other combo hunters arrive. Stephen Speilberg, someone I still need a photo op with, is spotted leaving. One guy tells us he has no time and has to catch a plane to which a combo hunter replies "these planes won't leave without him". As he arrives we plead he says he will do it. Sadly, he rejects photo ops. He signs one per and as I get him on my ET poster he asks who else signed it. This was pretty crushing as I've seen this guy so many times but have yet to get a photo op. I do however get his wife Kate Capshaw who was in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. So that's a consolation prize at least. 

This would not be the only crushing defeat as Paul McCartney comes out and says he's not signing and I try asking for photo ops he says he's not taking pictures. One Master even begged and pleaded all the way to his car to no avail. As he left he rolled down the window and wished us all a Happy New Year. 

Now comes a huge entourage. Robert Deniro, Meryl Streep, Magic Johnson, and Charles Barkley. I tried begging Meryl as a Master breaks her down for an auto. I beg more and she agrees to the shot! I couldn't believe it! I then score that near impossible A list photo op HOLY CRAP! Didn't bother fighting for a Deniro shot as he had a full beard and it would have been a downgrade. After this I was on my knees thanking the combo Gods for my first A list photo op of 2017 and knowing that my entire ordeal was officially not for nothing! 

Besides this I see Jon Hamm but already have photos with him so I don't bother going after him. I see Common come out but don't bother with him. Other photo ops I got include Rachael Ray (update), Patti LaBelle (update), and basketball player Grant Hill.

After our last photo op an hour passes and nothing happens. Then we see cars pull up to another exit so we run there. Seems exits shifts and we probably missed more names waiting at what was now the wrong exit.

Some things that happened at this stage of the evening.

Saw Steve Harvey and had to break him down for a selfie. He goes "ok c'mon quick" and he cuts it off after like 2 people.

Saw Jerry Seinfeld and Julia Louis-Dreyfus walk but didn't bother going after them as I had them both. Saw Kerri Washington but also had no need to go after her. Sam Jackson again didn't fight for a photo op because he had a beanie on. Got an auto sadly it got smudged.

Got Connie Britton update. Jon Bon Jovi did nothing for no one. Tom Hanks actually signed one per and I got him on my Apollo 13 laserdisc completing my project, finally! I also stood there and did photo ops. I of course took one but the photo op is essentially garbage compared to my older shot as he has a full beard, a beanie, and spectacles.

A Master spots a car with Bruce Springsteen in it. He runs to the car naturally me and others follow. We plead for Bruce for a roll down and he rolls. The driver starts to move but stops. When it's my turn as he is signing my item the car is moving again and I scream "HEEEYYY" luckily the car stops and my autograph looks fine. Thankfully I already have a photo op so had no huge need to fight for a car shot.

Kelly Rowland didn't stop my shot didn't turn out sadly. I got her before but needed another shot. Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis are spotted. I have Jason so many times but upgraded my Olivia to no shades.

Eddie Vedder is spotted he says he will do one per but no photo ops because he "looks like shit" as he put it. I have someone else help me with an item so I got my Peal Jam vinyl already signed by two other members and a CD.

At this point Eddie, Jason, and Olivia are just hanging waiting for their rides. I plead with Eddie for a photo op he laughingly goes "I'm pissed off but let's do it" as he goofs off and does a few photo ops!

Saw Don Cheadle but had no need to bother him. Got up and coming actress Cody Horn. Also basketball player Alonzo Mourning.

Snow beings to pick up. At this point we all decided this was done.

Despite the hardships and the cold, the ups and downs, the punches, the big blows, the pain and suffering a photo op with the near impossible Meryl Streep, combo with Eddie Vedder (who himself is pretty tough), plus many more bonus autographs and photo ops, I'd say my first endeavor of 2017 was a sweeping success

I left my home at 2pm, I returned it was 6am. That was 14 horus well spent.


Some other notes:

This evening was truly a prime example of "gotta play to win". Success was not even close to guaranteed as lots of people usually drive in and out of that spot. This time almost nobody drove in (Springsteen, Jay Z, Beyonce did).

To show you that there are no rules when it comes to what could bring success and failure in combo hunting, who would have thought that between Meryl Streep, Stephen Speilberg, and Paul McCartney, Streep would be the only one of those 3 to actually do full combos! Wow just wow.

Meryl Streep

Olivia Wilde

Eddie Vedder

Kate Capshaw

Full list of photo ops part 1

Full list of photo ops part 2


Now to showcase some autographs

Star Wars items

ET poster

Music autographs

Apollo 13 laserdisc

Jordin Sparks 8x10s



No comments:

Post a Comment