Monday, August 21, 2017

Monstermania Cherry Hill August Report

After a day in NYC (report coming soon), I arrive at Monstermania on Saturday. This would mark my first Monstermania since Martin's death. Monstermania was one of his favorite cons so he was always a staple there. It was tough being there without seeing Martin's updates on facebook or running into him. 

My two top wants at MM were technically repeat names. My Kate Backinsale shot has shades, a security guard photo bomb, and a bad pose. Perhaps 1 out of these 3 would have been tolerable, but all 3? Definitely a worthy upgrade. And second Val Kilmer I got 10 years ago at Chiller but he was fat and had shades on. His one man shows don't allow flash and recently have been cell phone pics only, no camera. Given the shot I had, zero chance I would have gone and spent money to any of them with restrictions like that. But at con pro ops he was using flash and I had other reasons besides him to be at this con. This coupled with him being on the brink of death, it was now or never if I wanted a slimmer no shades Val shot. 

I had other wants as well but luckily I managed to split stuff to make it affordable. 

First photo op of Monstermania was Tom Morga who played both Jason and Mike Myers. Then Alison Lohman, Ethan Embry, and Jonathan Ke Quan. Got an upgrade in Burt Young. Free shot with Jeffrey Combs. Another top want of mine at this show was Daphne Zuniga from Spaceballs. Then split a combo price with child actor Noah Schnapp. 

Went for Stephen McHattie from 300 and The Watchmen. His combo price was $5 more than the photo op. So I got the full combo. Got a free shot with Robert Brian Wilson. Then got Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante. 

Hung out with a few people while in line for Kate Beckinsale. Got that pro op. Then went down for artist Mark Texeira who was super late to this con. Throughout the day I was actually going to the table and checking for him. He did art for Marvel and also some of the early original Masters of the Universe mini comics. I had 3 of them, he said he does full front/back sketch on them for $5 or simple sign and sketch on front for $1. I had him do the full thing on one of them while doing the basic one on the other two. Got a photo op as well. The final photo op at Monstermania would be the Val Kilmer pro op, which to my delight featured the most wonderful flash I ever saw. 

I was beat so I went home after the con. When I downloaded my jpegs I noticed they were less than 50% the quality of the John Cusack jpegs form Wolf Studios earlier in the year. But luckily I emailed Wolf about this and they promptly sent me my full resolution jpegs which I very much appreciate. They also told me they were trying a new system and they are reverting back to the old one, which is a good thing.  

Kate Beckinsale

Val Kilmer

Daphne Zuniga

Noah Schnapp

Stephen McHattie

Full list of Monstermania photo ops

Autographs

Back mini comic sketch

No comments:

Post a Comment