Monday, March 25, 2013

First disaster weekend of 2013


Over the years I've received a lot of criticism of "not enjoying it" and "viewing it as a job" when out hunting for combos. Most (but not all) of this criticism stems from people who don't actively do it much and do not realize the hardships that come with the territory. While there are times you strike out with A-list combos, this report will be a very good example of why it is not all roses and honey. 

This 3 day ordeal took place at the end of January begins on a Saturday. The evening was initially supposed to end with an event featuring Jessica Alba. Upon driving into the city I find out that Jessica Alba was wining and dining in Paris, France. WTF? 


I scout out at a spot then arrive at a hotel where Chris Cornell from Soundgarden was spotted. While there I see a car that is most likely going to be driving some A list celebrities. Shortly after another car pulls up and I see actor and rapper Common, who was a want of mine as he was in a couple of movies I like. Most notably Terminator: Salvation. He was cool and I got a photo op while he went in. Sadly did not have time to get my 8x10s. 

Then that impressive car goes around back to the docking bay of the hotel and goes inside. It's obvious that whoever is there decided to avoid fans. Turns out it's both John Mayer and Katy Perry! Combos with both would have made my weekend, but this was obviously not to be, and just the beginning of the hardships that lay ahead of me. 

As Common was leaving the hotel I did manage to get two 8x10s signed. With no Chris Cornell in sight I decide to leave the spot. I checked out the venue were Alba was supposed to be at since other celebrities were supposed to be there, but after inspecting the situation I decided that no one there was worth risking that kind of time and decided to call it an early night and gear up for the days ahead ($5 in parking gone to waste) 



Sunday starts off with an event at a spot where I historically succeed when it comes to combos. I stand there and my first gets are Chita Rivera and Rita Moreno. I then receive word of a restaurant where Rosario Dawson, Kerry Washington, and Eva Longoria were dining. I was debating whether or not I should leave my post and head there. I stupidly decided against it. One reason was that I already had photo ops with all three and would get Rosario and Eva to sign for me when they came to this event (did not have any merch for Kerry). 


Of course, as I would later find out of the three only Eva showed up and used the garage. Another celeb I wanted to get autographs from was Antonio Banderas (already have a photo op) and he also used the garage. Saw Mario Lopez but he was a dick and did nothing (also have a photo op with him). Jose Feliciano, my top want for this event, used another door but not the garage, and I got photo ops with a bunch of who names and names I didn't really care for. One name I did get that I had 8x10s for was Wilmer Valderrama (Fez in That 70s Show). I got him to sign two for me and failed to get a photo op (though I didn't try hard as I have one already). 

So far a big bust, out of all this nothing extravagant photo op wise and only a couple of Fez photos signed. 


Then I make probably my single biggest mistake for the weekend: I left this spot to try out other spots that were less sure. By the time I got back the event was over (made the rookie mistake of not double checking the running time) and could have had my Jose Feliciano combo! 


Apparently someone also did get Mario Lopez to sign but only after running up to his car and some major begging/pleading at the car window. 

Furious, upset, disgruntled, humiliated, defeated, and depressed do not even begin to describe how I felt at that point in time. We then scout out a Bill Clinton spot but turns out he didn't even show up 

There was a spot with Jamie Foxx but considering how much of an asshole he is we decide not to waste our time further. 

After checking out some other spots all we manage to get is Vincent C Gray (mayor of DC) and NBC announcer Brian Williams. Then called it a night.



Like the other days, monday started off very slow. Spotted two buses at a hotel and turns out it was Soundgarden's bus. Waited for hours and didn't see any signs of the band members. I got a tip where Paula Abdul was eating, so I rushed there. Unfortunately the area was blocked off and I figured by the time I went through security to enter the vicinity of the restaurant, she would be gone. Went from spot to spot with no luck. 

Even tried one spot where we were expecting to see the singer Kesha and we saw two NYC collectors waiting. Eventually left that spot and found out later that the NYC collectors only succeeded in getting autographs after many hours (and no photo ops). Went to one hotel and upon arrival Stevie Wonder is getting into his car. His handlers were helping him get into a van. I didn't bother to ask him for a photo op as I had one already. No one else had the courage to ask. I later see Will.I.Am from the Black Eyed Peas but didn't bother with him as I had a photo op and no merch on me. So far the day was a complete bust but there was one last beacon of hope, a spot with a bunch of mostly lower tier celebs including a major want of mine, Kristen Dunst. There was another big venue with huge names, but best to go where you can actually get stuff, not where it's impossible. 

Unfortunately, Kristen Dunst cancelled out and was not in town! Another defeat. Even some other celebs that were supposed to be there did not make it. Alyssa Milano stayed in LA and Paula Abdul did not show up. Most of the celebs showing up to this I already had so it was mostly an autograph mission. 

To add to this, it was getting colder and colder. 

This was the last stand and the whole thing was now drunk and salvage. 

Thankfully, salvage I managed to do. 

I did get one first time photo op that I wanted: John Leguizamo who played Luigi in Super Mario Bros and Sid the Sloth in the Ice Age movies. Got three autographs from him. The only other time I met him he signed but didn't do photo ops. I also got a Taraji P Henson photo op, among others. 

Autograph only scores (already had photo ops) were Tim Daly, Matt Bomer, David Arquette, Richard Schiff, and Wayne Knight. 

At one point I was waiting on the side for the Goo Goo Dolls, and in doing so missed another chance at a Tim Daly autograph, adding to the many defeats of the whole ordeal. 

The last three that came out were Omar Epps, Marlon Wayans and Evan Handler. Evan did photo ops no problem, the other two I didn't manage to get. Omar was a dick and didn't get anything signed (already had a photo op) and failed to get a Marlon photo op. After this I was just happy to go home. 

Photo ops

Common

John Leguizamo

Taraji P Henson

Full list part 1

Full list part 2



Autographs

Common and Wilmer part 1

Common and Wilmer part 2

Final Salvage part 1

Final Salvage part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment