Tuesday, October 24, 2017

September Cons: Mid Atlantic, NJ Horror, and Baltimore Comic Con

Mid September was Mid Atlantic Nostalgia Con. Sadly as I was on the way I found out my main want there, Maud Adams, had cancelled. I arrive, pick up a program. I must say the program is probably the most impressive of all shows, especially for such a small con. Of all cons I attended, only NYCC has a better produced program. It also featured a memorial for the late Martin Aaron Totten. Nothing major in terms of guests. They were either real cheap or free. Tammy Locke complemented my looks, how cool is that? 

Full list of photo ops

Tommy Cook autograph and Martin Totten memorial


Towards the end of September I go to New Jersey Horror Con. I had two main goals from that con. One was Kerri Green from the Goonies and the other Crispin Glover AKA George McFly from Back to the Future. I already got Crispin in the past but sadly he had a horrible beard so he didn't look like him. 

I arrive the night before and mooch a couple of photo ops. Next day I do a lot of splitting with  including the pro op only Kerri Green. One notable interaction was Daeg Faerch. I was trying to negotiate a photo op only price but he said he can't do it at the table unless I buy an auto. Then he actually invited me to mooch him in the lobby. Eventually I did just that. There was also a Pretty Fine Things signing and the main person I wanted from there was Camila Perez who was in a couple of Gotham episodes. Sadly she didn't show up but since I learnt from past mistakes with Kate Upton and Felicity Jones I made sure to grab free photo ops with two barely valid actresses that did show. 

After hitting up the Chinese buffet with  it was time to wait for Glover. I didn't care to pay to sit through his ordeal. I talked to two other convention goers who seemed oblivious of his antics and told them his routine. Even mentioned how much time he spends answering each question. One guy asks me if they are in fact obliged to "endure" hours of his movie and q&a just to get the combo. I said that this was an understatement but basically yes. While waiting for George to let out I got a tip for a private flight for some Van Halen band members, but rather than go to Philly and possibly struggle at the spot (there was a chance they would drive out) I decided to stay put and get my upgrade as planned. 

Finally the thing let out and I take my spot in line to get the photo op. One guy I talked to earlier told me he thought I was exaggerating about the ordeal but turns out I was being lenient. The other guy said how he wanted to shoot each person that asked a question (he apparently took 30 minutes to answer each question). Of course this did not end as life stories were exchanged during the m&g. And a lot of people just bailed the line as they didn't want to dedicate more time waiting. Finally I got up to him, and this upgrade is not only night and day compared to my previous shot, but he has short hair so he looks just like George McFly! The whole thing must have taken about 6h total. After this I headed out as the next day I planned to attend Baltimore Comic Con. 

Keri Green

Crispin Glover

Full list of photo ops part 1

Full list of photo ops part 2


Next up, Baltimore Comic Con. I needed one acting name there, namely Finn Jones. Sadly he wasn't doing table ops and I didn't feel like paying an arm and a leg for the pro op (with no one to split with). I tried to plead for a table op but was denied. So I decided to wait and see if I could score a table op after the pro op.

Meanwhile I look for 90 year old comic book illustrator Ramona Fradon (best known for her work on the old Aquaman comics). She also co created Metamorpho. I must say that woman looks incredible for 90. She was sitting on a regular chair signing and sketching stuff. Wow, may we all be this fortunate. I asked her for a photo op and she seemed shocked I wanted one. One thing about comic books guests they are not used to doing photo ops so are happy to do them without any charge. While I went around the table to get the op one guy actually dropped his comics to get signed. How fucking rude! But I got the op eventually. I also looked for some of her old comics to get signed by the only ones I could find were in the triple digits. Too rich for my blood. Since it was Sunday I'm guessing all the cheap ones were bought and signed over the weekend. I just went back and got an index card signed. Told her why I was getting the index card signed and she described paying so much money for old comics as "robbery".

I notice Stan Sakai at a table. He apparently created Usagi Yojimbo. I know that character from the TMNT lore. Also noticed Don Rosa who is a Disney comic book name that is HUGE in Europe but not so much in the US. He even joked how Europeans actually travel to the US for his appearances because his line is so much shorter in the US than in Europe. Got a photo op. 

I passed by the MCW booth and saw Joey Mercury and Melina. I needed a photo op with Mercury with a bald head (because that's how he looked for J&J Security) and Melina was looking different. So I chose the dual op as it wasn't much more than the Mercury only op. I asked Mercury if he could remove his cap for the op and he tried to say it was an extra $20. 

Saw a huge line for comic book names Walt Simonson and his wife Louise Simonson. I looked them up and saw that they worked on quite a few things I enjoyed in the past. Most notably Walt worked on the Robocop vs Terminator comic books. So I got photo ops with them and they were happy to do it. I also noticed Val Staples was there and he worked on a lot of the 200X Masters of the Universe properties. After he signed a stack of MOTU comics for someone I asked him for a photo op and he was dazed and confused at my request. He then joked that he's ugly but would do it. When we took the shot he commented that I look better than him in the photo. 

Now back to Finn Jones. I go up and say I missed the pro op and if I could get a table op. The handler denies but Finn says that it's "ok" and comes around and I get a FREE table op! SCORE!

Since I didn't pay anything for the Finn photo op ended my time in Baltimore Comic Con by finally caving in to a Neal Adams photo op. On my way out I mooched an upgrade with Darryl DMC McDaniels

Joey Mercury and Melina

Finn Jones

Full list of photo ops

Ramona autograph

No comments:

Post a Comment