Friday, April 19, 2019

March meets: Andy, Winston, Lupita, and more

Around mid march there would be an event with a host of celebs. I had most of the celebs but my main want was actor Andy Garcia. I arrive to try entries and literally miss Andy by a minute, though he was wearing shades. By then most are inside and I wait. 

Sadly I blink and miss what I think is Andy's exit. And most celebs don't stop. The only one to stop and do a roll down is Jose Feliciano who is blind! Luckily I had a good shot already so I got autographs. 

Day is off to a bad start. I leave and come back just in time to see a well dressed Andy enter. And he blows me off. Wait till the end of the evening and most celebs are driving off, including barely valids. But when I see Andy I scream for him and he walks over, does photo ops and autographs! SCORE! One woman criticized my screaming but I simply rebuffed it with "he came over, didn't he?". Other celebs that drove off include Patti LaBelle, Gloria and Emilio Estefan, and Quincy Jones. Luckily I have ops with all of them. Cyndi Lauper does send ins in her car. I had an 8x10 to somebody and I get two 8x10s signed. Luckily I have 3 photo ops with her. Among all this I got Latin singer Gian Marco whom I never heard of and some barely valids including a group shot with 4 females (I think they are stage actresses from the play about Gloria).

Moved on to the next spot (namely the hotel) to see what else I could get. Play the waiting game. Get another Cyndi graph, get some Gloria graphs. I get child actor Kevin Tellez who has been in some TV shows. There were more Latin singers and actors but we didn't know who they were in order to call them over. Andy blanked at this spot.

It was a long day but I scored Andy combo and extra plus bonuses. So I'd say success.

Andy Garcia

Group shot

Full list of photo ops

Autographs


About a week later actor Winston Duke, actress Lupita Nyongo, and director Jordan Peele had an event. The venue I knew would be a mad house. So I literally spent 4-5 hours looking for flights or trains for them. And I found nothing. More on the reason why in a bit.

The next day I go to the hotel they would stay at. Play the waiting game. While waiting I see another combo hunter take a photo op with a celebrity spotted randomly, so I grab the shot. But sadly it turns out to be actress Minnie Driver whom I already have (and this is a downgrade as she has shades). Wait some more and then I finally find out 1) why I couldn't find them and 2) that they're not actually here. Via IG they released a group shot of them flying in on a private jet!

Sadly it was now venue or bust. The venue was on private property so I feared being harassed but shockingly this wouldn't prove to be a factor. I try entries and had both Winston and Lupita one on one. Winston ignored and Lupita goes "where did you come from" and denies.

Now it was the situation I feared most. Exits! As expected many from the audience would stay. I was literally the only non-black here. Winston comes out first and I ask for the photo op. Remembering me from earlier he taps me on the shoulder and says "thank you" then enters his car (which garners laughter from the crowd). He rolls down the window to greet the crowd and I ask for a selfie which he agrees to. From then on people from the crowd copy me. I also get autos from the window

Next up, director Jordan Peele. I ask and he denies. Goes in his car. When I see him do a car selfie I quickly go and grab one! Lots of cars leave and I assume this is done as I figure Lupita snuck out in the chaos. I am leaving and look back and see her walking a ramp. I quickly run and ask for an op. She agrees but is moving so the op comes out blurry but I'd still say an upgrade from my hat and shades shot from NYC.  Plus getting her with no hat or shades (even at night) is very rare!

While the end result is not what I'd call perfect, considering how hopeless this situation was looking I'd say I'm on the plus side. 

I then went to another spot with director John Lee Hancock and writer/producer John Fusco (Young Guns). Mooched into the venue and they were nice as can be.

Winston Duke

Lupita Nyongo

Full list of photo ops

Autographs


Couple days later I go to a spot for actress Tichina Arnold. While there I got an update with Chad L Coleman plus some barely valids. Tichina was nice as can be. Then go for actor Justin Hires who had a comedy show. He came out and greeted the audience and I got a photo op

Full list of photo ops

No comments:

Post a Comment