Monday, July 1, 2013

Wizard World Philly Report June 2013

It was beginning June, and I pick up Joresky on Sunday to start our journey to Wizard World Philly, a con I seem to attend every year (and one of the very few I do attend). Before the journey started I had one autograph out of it. Joresky picked me up a Jack O'Halloran autograph at the con he attended (Non in Superman 1 &2). I figured for $5 you can't really go wrong. In all other cons who but the ECW Zombie ever charges $5. This way if he dies tomorrow I would at least have something over nothing. 

We arrive at Philadelphia Convention Center and find free parking. A good start. I paid a discounted price for admission as I was hooked up with a vendor pass from a friend. So some money saved right there. 

Sadly for the con itself the mooching Gods would show us very little mercy. Not to say they abandoned us though. For example I only had to bite the bullet for two of the so called "professional" photo ops and one was a very rare splitted mooch (more details on that later). Let us begin.    

The first celebrity meet is Brandon Routh. I elect to get a combo (and to save a lot of money the only autograph I would obtain at Wizard World Philly this year). Despite attempts to mooch a photo op, they were vigorous in checking. So that was a fail. This marked my second actor that played Superman. 

Next up is Lauren Holly from Dumb and Dumber. When we came up to her she was on the phone and told us to wait a minute. Really  in a paid setting we're supposed to wait? WTF?? But it wasn't a waste cause we got free energy drinks! Got a photo op with her. 

Sadly I had to get a dreaded "pro" photo op in Holly Marie Combs from charmed, somebody I missed multiple times in the past. Also got a free photo op with Michael Golden who is the co creator of X-Men character Rogue. From what I could see we were the only ones that asked for photo ops and he was more than accommodating. I also got photo ops with Shawn and Aaron Ashmore. Shawn (who played Iceman) was somebody I missed out on at NYCC last year, so it was good to get a photo op with him. I got Aaron just because he didn't cost much and he's the identical twin of Shawn. So it's a fun novelty.

Me and Joresky decided to split a "pro only" Charisma Carpenter photo op (Cordelia from Buffy and Angel). When we got up to her she wanted BOTH of us on one side. My reaction was this face  Why would anyone want people to stand on one side and not the other? Makes no sense. Luckily in a paid setting you can easily stomp you foot and say that is unacceptable. Joresky asked if he could buy his own separate op but then Charisma said that she would "buy it" and gave us separate photo ops  Essentially making this a splitted mooch because we split but got individual ops! 

The final meet for this event was Summer Glau, who I know best as Cameron from Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. She had tons of people in line for her, and each buying like 3-4 autos at $40 an item! Me and Joresky decided to split the photo op. 

After Wizard World we headed to NYC for more meets. 

Holly Marie Combs

Charisma Carpenter

Brandon Routh

Shawn Ashmore

Summer Glau

Full list of photo ops

Autographs

No comments:

Post a Comment