Monday, November 11, 2013

New York Comic Con 2013 weekend part 2

NOTE: IF YOU DIDN'T ALREADY PLEASE SEE PART 1 OF THE NYCC REPORT (SCROLL DOWN)

Saturday

Saturday starts with a Green Power Ranger suited Jason David Frank photo op. To cut costs I split that one with Joresky. Came out awesome especially since gimmick photo ops are pretty rare outside of wrestling. Then I go in line for a paid signing, namely Bruce Boxleitner from the Tron movies. When I go up to him I ask for a photo op and get that for free 

I then run to join Joreky at the Frank Bello line (bassist of Anthrax). Get a free photo op no problem. Since I got an autograph before, this technically completes my combo. I dash to the Misfits booth and Jerry Only is by himself there. So fan friendly it is truly sad more cannot be like that. He did a photo op no problem and gave me a signed poster. Though he signed it in a crappy white paint marker  More importantly though I got him to sign my WCW book which he marked out for and thought it was cool that he was signing it. He said he didn't even know they made a book. He also said the rest of his band will be arriving. They're not original members but they do make a cool photo op so I would make a mental note to come back to this booth. 

I did attempt the Robot Chicken signing despite having no ticket. Sadly they were vigorous in checking and that was a fail. But I've gotten them before and only needed a photo op with one actress (Seth Green's wife) so no huge loss. 

I then go to artist's alley to see what's up with Kevin Eastman. He has a slow moving line. They say he has a panel to get to so at one point he will come down the line and sign autographs. I already got a combo from him before but he's a good name to get again, especially since I had my old school TMNT photo signed by Rob Paulsen the day before. 

While there I try to call , Joresky, and one other friend to come. All but Joresky arrive. Kevin Eastman goes down the line and signs whatever people have. Got him on my 8x10 but didn't bother with a photo op. Then I rushed to the Ed Burns panel where I got both him and actor Robert Knepper! 

Afterwards I meet up with again so I can split a David Duchovny‎ photo op with him. That goes smoothly. There was another spot I could have gotten him later that evening, but I figure 1) A guarantee is a guarantee and 2) If I go there I sacrifice other combo opportunities. So I declared that this is the best way to do it. It was a wise decision on my part because he apparently did nothing for no one later that evening. 

Then off to the Teen Wolf line, the only signing where I actually won the ticket via facebook. They were even kicking out people who had no tickets. While there I decide to run to the Misfits booth since it's close to this signing. Misfits had a line but I manage to go to the front and explain that I have a signing to get to and I only want a photo op. Got a cool looking group shot. While there I also got John Cafiero from Osaka popstar. 

Then back to Teen Wolf. Joresky joins up with me in an attempt to get into the Teen Wolf signing. While we wait he gets the brilliant idea to get some old TMNT comic books for Kevin Eastman. I ask him to pick some up for me since he's a name worth virgilizing. He goes and comes back with some nice mint comic books. As we approach Joresky manages to mooch his way into the signing by agreeing to pre order a DVD. As luck would have it they were cash only so he couldn't pay. We were both inside and we got combos with Jeff Davis, the creator of the series and by two actors who are on the show Dylan O’Brien (Stiles) and Linden Ashby (Sherriff Stilinsky, also played Johnny Cage in the Mortal Kombat movie).

We then rush to the autograph area in the hopes that we can get to the signing of Hercules: The Legend Begins. This looks like a movie I would enjoy, so if I could get some combos I could enjoy it much more as I watch it. They were giving out posters and we got combos with Scott Adkins, Gaia Weiss, Kellan Lutz (Hercules), and Renny Harlin. The last one turned out to be a huge score as he directed movies like Nightmare on Elm Street 4, Cliffhanger, and Die Hard 2. Goes to show you how you should always get the photo op first, ask questions later. 

Rush to a panel, I score to more photo ops. Chris Elliot from Scary Movie 2 and Groundhog Day, and Maria Thayer from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Both nice as can be. 

Now it was time to go back to Kevin Eastman, where Joresky still needed a combo and I had new comics to be signed. The line was slloooowwwww mainly because Eastman is that damn nice and doing sketches for free. Same deal as before they announced he would go down the line as the signing ended. While waiting Joresky goes to buy more comics. We were near the front and we had a place to be (namely Brooke Hogan panel). I go up and ask when he's going to go down the line, and they initiate it! He does combos with us and signs all our comics! Success! Now we run like a rocket to Brooke Hogan! We make it with a few minutes to spare, mooch our way, and bam! We score combos! This ends our Saturday at NYCC. 

We have some time to chill, so we eat $1 pizza slices, my first meal for the entire day. It tasted good. At our next spot to go for Debra Jo Rupp from That 70s Show. I get a combo and extra from her. Then Joresky spots Dr Ruth as a random! We get photo ops!

After that we go to the next spot and score actress Kathryn Erbe and actor John Pankow. Then off to meet Terence Mann from Critters. While there Joresky with his supernatural spotting abilities sees Hank Azaria. I take another friend who doesn't have him to get a photo op then I get one just because he was there. Terence Mann is as nice as can be and we score other  names while there. 

The final spot of the evening was a shot at glory, namely Katy Perry, John Mayer, and Bruce Willis. As expected none of them did anything for no one. Bruce Willis even said "Now is not the time". My only score at this spot was a photo op with BJ Novak (someone I didn't even stand in line for at NYCC). This ended a long and exhausting Saturday.

NYCC Saturday photo ops part 1

NYCC Saturday photo ops part 2

post NYCC Saturday photo ops

The Green Power Ranger

David Duchovny

Brooke Hogan

Frank Bello

Bruce Boxleitner

Debra Jo Rupp
Dr Ruth


Sunday

This day would be the least stressful day of all, cause all of the NYCC portion of this day would be spent in the autographing area. Also, I would unintentionally get what I consider by biggest score for the entire NYCC weekend. More on that later.

I hold a spot in the Lemony Snicket line. He authored "A Series of Unfortunate Events" which was made into a Jim Carrey movie. So in my view that makes him a worthy combo. While that was happening I stood in line to get White Power Ranger photo op tickets for me and Joresky. This would take forever. While there though I chatted with one guy who is an expert on street meets. He knows exactly where and when to stand. And if you see him standing someplace it's a place you want to stand. At NYCC however HE was the one asking ME questions. It truly felt like some parallel universe. 

While there I also see Bobby and Peter from the Netherlands and to my knowledge it is the first time I've seen them outside of a wrestling setting. 

Anyhow, we start with Lemony Snicket. Nice guy but I got a gay vibe from him. When I go up to him he goes "hello there little boy". I get two books signed plus the photo op. There were other authors in that table but no one was going up to them. Everyone was going to Lemony Snicket. Must have sucked to be them. 

Me and Joresky go to John Morton cause we figure he would be quick and easy. But of course there's a little girl telling him her life story as if he's the biggest star in Star Wars. He basically wore the Boba Fett suit in a single scene in Empire Strikes Back. Definitely a valid Boba Fett and someone you want to get if you're a Star Wars fan. But hardly anyone to scream for. Very nerve wrecking to see people tell their life stories when you have places to be and people to virgilize. But wait! While there we see Jerry Ordway right next to him! The guy we couldn't find on Friday! What luck! We don't have to look for him later on! I get my trade paperback of "Death of Superman" and "World Without a Superman" signed for free both of which he co wrote. Got a free signed Shazam poster from him. And of course a photo op. Nice as can be. Finally we make it to John Morton and that's a quick combo. I got him on my Boba Fett figure already signed by Jeremy Bullock. He goes "oh wow you got Jeremy on it" and asked me where I wanted it signed. 

Me and Joresky then stand in line to split a Chloe Grace Moretz photo op. She was looking so damn hot. For whatever reason she is leaning more towards me in the photo op. 

Next up is White Power Ranger suited Jason David Frank photo ops! I split this one with none other than  and it came out very well. 

Without going into detail on how, I managed to obtain autograph tickets for both Person of Interest and The Following. I got two of each, one for me and one for Joresky. Now it was time for the Person of Interest signing. Joresky was no where in sight (likely busy with Stallone) and Woodmo was there needing a ticket. So I offered him my POI ticket, he was more than happy. While waiting me and Woodmo checked the Kane panel to see if he had a mask on, cause a photo op with maked Kane would be cool. But we found out that Kane was not masked and Hornswoggle was not leprechaun suited. So we went back to the POI line. 

We got there. First score was Len Wiseman who directed several movies. Next up were actors Jim Caviezel, Kevin Chapman, Taraji P Henson, Amy Acker, and Sarah Shahi. All but Taraji were first time meets. In the case of Jim Caviezel my first shot was bad but he gladly took a second. Even though I had no idea who that was. But when I joined Woodmo to get in line for The Following he informed me what a huge score that was. He played the title character, Jesus Christ, in Passion of the Christ! My reaction was this face  I could not believe it! From all I hear he is apparently impossible on the street! So to score someone I wanted without even trying made this an extravagant victory! I consider this my best score for the whole of NYCC weekend. Goes to show you that one should always take photo ops first, ask questions later. 

The Following signing was sadly not as successful. They treated fans like cattle even offered signed posters to "avoid the wait". Really?  I stood in line for a signed poster or to see celebrities? What rubbish. Photo ops were impossible there despite my attempt. But I already had photo ops with Kevin Bacon and Shawn Ashmore so this made it less painful.

Next up was RL Stine. Unfortunately the line had been cut off, and it was looking hopeless on that front. So me and Joresky decided to take our spots in the Sleepy Hollow line. But as the RL Stine line dwindled we saw a window of opportunity to mooch our way in that line. We offered the last person in line a free book and I let Joresky mooch in the line. I figured I would stay out of it to increase his chances since he's a big fan of RL Stine. Joreskly got his photo op, two books for himself, and one for me. Then I slipped in line and got a photo op for myself! What looked like a hopeless case turned out to be a success! The final stop was the Sleepy Hollow signing, where we scored combos from everybody, namely writers Roberto Orci and Alex Krutzman who co-wrote the Transformers movies. And actors Katia Winter, Tom Mison, Nicole Beharie, Orlando Jones, and Phillip Iscove. Photo op with Jones came out blurry but no big deal cause I had him. Nicole Beharie made a funny face looking at me. 

Now there was an issue where Froggys could not locate the digital copies of the celebrity authentic guests (in my case for Chloe). After much back and forth Froggys himself told us to email him for digital copies. It took a week but I finally got mine. 

As we were leaving the city we got a tip for Keanu Reeves. Against our better judgement we decided to check it out. We knew it would likely be a bust, but you gotta play to win. We got there in time but as expected he did nothing for no one. After some $1 pizza slices, we ended our very fruitful adventure. 

NYCC Sunday photo ops part 1

NYCC Sunday photo ops part 2

The White Power Ranger

My greatest score for NYCC weekend, Jim Caviezel

Now to showcase some autographs from Friday through Sunday!

Signed 8x10s of Roger Rees, Brooke Hogan, Debra Jo Rupp, and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

Jerry Only autographs, Last Unicorn book signed by Peter S Beagle, Boba Fett figure signed by John Morton.

Max Brooks and Shane Davis signed comics, TMNT comics signed by Kevin Eastman, and TMNT 8x10 signed by Rob Paulsen and Kevin Eastman. 

Superman books signed by Jerry Orday, RL Stine signed book, and Lemony Snicket signed books

Jerry Ordway signed poster

Dark City, Dark Knight Rises, and Man of Steel items signed by David S. Goyer

Curse of Chucky signed poster, Brad Dourif signed Chucky figure, and signed posters of the Following, Vampire Academya and Sleepy Hollow. 

Signed posters of the current TMNT, Person of Interest, Hercules, and Teen Wolf



No comments:

Post a Comment