Sunday, July 20, 2014

Crack that Whip *insert whip crack sound*





The band Devo, best known of their hit "Whip It" were on tour. So I decided I wanted to meet them. Of the 5 original band members, 2 of them are dead. And the 3 living ones are in the current line up along with current drummer Josh Freese.

As the combo Gods would have it, all four were coming in one flight, and I had the info! Joresky decided that the info conflicts with his jobs and insisted that he would simply try at the venue after watching the concert. 

So I arrive at the airport, several graphers including Philly graphers. The same ones I encountered with Bill Ward. Got into a spat with one of them before the plane landed. 

The witching hour arrives and they walk to baggage claim. We then follow. They essentially racked for everybody, I could not believe it 

First person I got was bassist Gerald Casale. After he signed my 3 albums and 2 photos I got a photo op which he was happy to do. One woman who saw us get our albums signed asks "how did you guys know which plane they were coming in". One guy says "well there's only so many" and one philly guy says "we have friends that told us they boarded the plane". LOL!


Next up I got to Guitarist Bob Mothersbaugh. He says he doesn't sign photos only albums. Before signing he asks "what's my name" and I say "Bob" and he goes "oh lucky guess". He signs my 3 albums and is happy to take a photo op.   

Finally I approach lead singer Mark Mothersbaugh and get my 3 albums and 2 photos done! I ask for a photo op and he was happy to do it. He looked away in the first one but happily posed a second time. As they were leaving Mark had a sliver and was signing someone's record and I had him sign one for me as well. 

Finally I try to get a photo op with Josh Freese but he says he doesn't do photo ops though he signed for everyone. I had nothing for him so I didn't get him. For me Josh Freese would have been nothing but a bonus photo op. So after getting multi combos with the three members that matter, I left the airport victorious 

Sadly, Joresky was not so lucky. After the concert he was one of seven people waiting, and they all did nothing for no one. Joresky of course regrets not coming to the airport. Quite amazing that he paid for the concert and got nothing, I just paid for parking and I racked. 

Gerald Casale (bass player of Devo)

Bob Mothersbaugh (lead guitarist of Devo)

Mark Mothersbaugh (lead singer of Devo)

Three record albums signed by all 3, plus a record signed by Mark

Photos signed by Gerald and Mark

The "Shout" album is a funny homage to 

No comments:

Post a Comment