Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Rhode Island Comic Con weekend 2015


Friday
With some good rare names at RICC, me and embarked to NYC for some meets and then to RICC. 

The first stop for the evening was a Viggo Mortensen book signing,  thanks to who first texted me that tip. 

We arrive at the book store and meet up with inside. He informs us there's a book signing. Soon after we are joined by Vanessa the Jersey Shore Stalker and her friend Dave. 

The book is about $16 with tax. We buy the book. Looking at that book it didn't even seem correct for him to sign it. But whatever gets us the photo op. 

We were in line Greg gets the photo op. When it came to our turn he said didn't want to pose and says to take it while he's signing! WTF? To add insult to injury not 5 minutes after us Vanessa gets a perfectly valid selfie! So we went to the end of the line to try again but a few people trickled behind us. Then when he rejected us saying he did take photo ops (wrong, he took no valid shots with us) and again and told us to go to the end of the line we did so yet again. Then when we were at the end he yelled at us yet again telling us to go to the end and I told him, "but this IS the end of the line" 

He then scoped it out and did not want to do photo ops. When me and Joresky were walking away with our heads down he begrudgingly agreed to photo ops with us saying "come on, just do it, quickly". This is where we got a good shot and Joresky sadly got a blurry one. 

We waited a bit and I had to make a semi lie saying that his camera battery died so I'm using my camera. He said he didn't believe us and told us to leave. As we did yet again with our heads down he begrudgingly agreed to do photo ops with us saying "come on, just do it, quickly" and I took Joresky's second shot. 

He then yelled at ME again when Vanessa's friend David couldn't get his cell phone to function and I volunteered to take his photo op and he was saying "I already took photos" Really I'm trying to help and he's STILL cursing me out?



After I took David's photo op he then told us to get out and literally was shoving us out the door. At that point I was too afraid to ask him to sign the 8x10 I printed. 

While it would be different if he was a dick to everyone, he seemed to single both of us out. And others got extras signed without any issue. 

Of course, this was no doubt a success. But it was quite the traumatizing success. I never imagined succeeding would leave such a bitter taste in my mouth. Of course it's still miles MILES ahead of not getting the photo op.

And yes, I could care less about that book as he pointed out. I just wanted a Viggo combo. It was barely even correct for him to sign it. He is not even the author. I believe that book was even out before his involvement. Then he contributed some content to it and it was re released. The back of the book has a long list of names that contributed to it and his was amongst them (and near the bottom). I had no interest in even keeping such an item in my hands, and I didn't believe it could be sold as it was personalized (he insisted). I asked Vanessa if she wanted my copy and she took it. No idea what she can do with a book signed to me. But if she has more use for it than me, more power to her. 


But again he singled us out in that respect as well. Other people were bringing him items and did not even BUY the book at all. At least me and Joresky *pretended* to care about that book.


Up to the MSG to meet some 80s rock bands. We circled about 2-3 times till we found the place to stand. When we did someone was waiting for Ansel Elgort. He came out and we got photo ops sadly this was just an upgrade for me as I already had him. 

Then we wait some more we see DMC come out of the door and does photo ops no problem. Two other graphers stand next to us. Then we see people trickling out from somewhere else including Dee Snider. I get a combo with him. Already had a photo op but here he has no shades. We quickly figure out the right door where everyone else is coming out from. I spot Mike Score from Flock of Seagulls and he seemed surprised we all wanted combos from him, but was as friendly as can be. Then off to Lou Gramm where I didn't need a photo op as I got a perfect one in the past. I get all my stuff signed he's nice as can be. 

We sadly didn't see Tone Loc so he must have left earlier. And we did miss Tiffany and Debbie Gibson but I had those two so it was no big deal. Plus I actually didn't bring anything for them to sign. Now we wait for Howard Jones. He finally comes out and says 2 things per person. I get my vinyls done and get a photo op. Then MTV VJ Jesse Camp comes out and I can't believe how nice he is. He was chatting, posing in many poses, talking, wow I couldn't believe it. He was actually inviting us to take a picture with him! Me and Joresky actually wondered if he was even valid because how could any celebrity even the lower ones be THAT friendly, but upon googling him and reading his wiki page he is valid. 

Despite no Tone Loc, a very miserable Viggo, and struggling to find where to stand, this was a refreshingly successful evening 


After this it was off to Rhode Island. Asian Dave was generous enough to offer us a room and I thank him for it as I could have let Joresky sleep there while I get sound sleep in my car, but it would have added 30 minutes more to our drive plus another 30 minutes coming back from the hotel to RICC. Rather than adding another hour's worth of driving, we chose to simply park in the RICC garage and sleep. 

Full list of Friday photo ops

Viggo Mortensen

Ansel Elgort

Mike Score

Dee Snider

Howard Jones

Signed photos

Signed vinyls


Saturday


Wake up for RICC. I enter and have to run around from one place to another till I found out where to redeem my Transformers voice actors tickets. Then I'm told they don't have tickets and to come back to the stand to collect them! 

I make my first task is to get Amy Jo Johnson. I was helping someone out getting two figures signed in the hopes that I could jump the line (due to pre order) and get a table op, but sadly this plan failed. Pre orders couldn't jump the line and table ops weren't happening. 


After I get the Amy Jo autographs I redeem my Transformers ticket. While waiting in line for Amy Jo photo ops I debrief Joresky on where to go to redeem his Transformers tickets. I then send him off on a mission to get us both some items to be signed. Without going into detail on why I had nothing to get signed it was because I wasn't initially planning to get their autographs. They gave out a 3D poster but it wasn't suitable to be signed. And they gave a comic book but since the voice actors didn't have any part in the comic book that item wasn't correct.  

The Amy Jo photo ops were delayed due to trouble with the camera and Amy actually went down the line to apologize and explain the situation. Wow that was very nice of her. When going up to pay for the photo op they asked if I wanted a print out, jpeg, or both. I said jpeg. I took a gamble because print + jpeg would have cost more. I wanted to save money but that mean I was leaving the con without my Amy Jo photo op. But the gamble paid off cause I eventually got the jpeg without issue. Amy was friendly and did not make you feel rushed or anything. This was probably the best experience I had in a pro op. Not too expensive, didn't have to pay extra for the jpeg, didn't have to pick up a print I didn't need, and Amy was genuinely appreciate of everyone. It really felt more like a glorified table op rather than a pro op (which was a good thing). 

I then joined Greg, Sean, Joresky, and Asian Dave in the Transformers line. Sadly Joresky picked the 80s Transformers movie poster where Megatron and Optimus didn't have a big role. Granted it would be correct to have them sign it but I wanted a better item for them. So I ventured down and found something better. Both voice actors were cool and I got the dual shot. I sold my poster on ebay for $100 which helped me recoup money I paid for that photo op. 

After my "big two" tasks were done, it was smooth sailing for me. Went to Brian Barth's table and got Lorenzo Lamas, then got Tami Stronach AKA the Childlike Empress from Neverending Story. She was sort of Empress suited for the photo op which was a nice touch. Me and Joresky then went by Austin St John's table and saw that he was clean shaven. Sadly that meant I had to get that photo op again. So we split the photo op. Then it was on to some lower tier Star Wars names in Michael Carter, Clive Revill, Garrick Hagon, and Dermot Crowley (had Garrick but needed a better shot, the rest were new). My final get at the con was Will Friedle from Boy Meets World. 

Full list of RICC photo ops

Amy Jo Johnson

Frank Welker and Peter Cullen

Lorenzo Lamas

Tami Stronach

Austin St. John

Poster that I sold


On to NYC for some more meets! Our first stop is Piper Perabo who I need a better picture with but sadly we are too late. We then go to another spot for Lea Salonga and George Tekei. Joresky had to get the front spot for a Lea photo op but for me I only needed an autograph as I got her before so I didn't need the front. As soon as she comes out I get the autograph. 

The next spot is a Donald Trump spot. Thankfully I have two photo ops with him so this was a stress free autograph only mission. First person we see is Aziz Ansari and I get a photo op though I had him already. We see Larry David and I try to upgrade my shot but sadly it comes out invalid as he looks away. Radioman also shows up at that spot. I also get a photo op with actor Tyler Labine. Trump arrives and is mobbed. For some reason he is ignoring my 8x10, so I have him sign my other 8x10. I also get him on an ECW belt buckle for Scorpion Faced Tony and Trump marks out for that. I then sent Scorpion Faced Tony a picture of it and he was overjoyed. Singer Sia arrived and is wearing a mask. Wow I hope other celebrities don't get ideas. 

On exits I get Trump to sign for me again despite Trump's security trying to stop me (and on the photo he ignored on entry). I also manage to get a photo op with Bill O'Reilly and with B52s singer Kate Pierson. We also thought we saw basketball player Amaury Studemire go in but when he exited turned out it wasn't him and the spot's security guards laughed at us. 

Full list of post RICC Saturday photo ops

Kate Pierson


Sunday

This day's we go by the philosophy of "aim low and actually get". We go to our first spot and get Patrick Breen (Quellek in Galaxy Quest) who was very nice. The next person we spot is actress Tammy Blanchard (Florinda in Into the Woods) and she was nice. Next is John Benjamin Hickey. After this we spotted actor Hoon Lee (Master Splinter in Nickelodeon's TMNT cartoon) and he took photos with us no problem. After this we saw Kellie Overbey and we asked for a photo but she declined saying she had no makeup on but said she would do it after the event.

Next up I decide to try for Mamie Gummer but never see her. We then head to the Piper Perabo spot and thankfully we didn't miss her this time. She was nice as can be she signed and took photo ops. We then wanted to roll the dice for Mark Strong for Green Lantern. We drive there, park for free, then run to the spot. To my shock we didn't miss anything. Get some lower names and of course a Mark Strong combo! Success! 

We pick up $1 pizza slices then head back. Joresky wants to stop by a concert in Baltimore for the band Dead Sara. I questioned my sanity in embarking on this but we did. Got photo ops with all four members. 

Full list if Sunday NYC photo ops

Dead Sara photo ops

Piper Perabo

Mark Strong

Saturday and Sunday NYC autographs

No comments:

Post a Comment