Monday, May 30, 2016

A Multi Day NYC Haul in May


This is a week dread all year to a point where I question if I should even continue doing it. It is the week where you will score a lot, and you will miss a lot. It is a week where crowds are the wildest. It is a week where you score the most in terms of quantity and sift through them all to figure out the diamonds in the rough. 

This year was all that and worse. Many of the setups changed, and not for the better. The crowds seemed to be bigger and more insane than they ever were. It got to a point where I even wondered if I was too old to be fighting tooth and nail (literally and figuratively) for mediocrity. 

Autographs would also be limited in this event as it's difficult if not impossible to do both. Plus it's a risk to print things for that event given how volatile it can be. But I did get some autographs.  

Despite all that it was good seeing everything and BS-sing with everyone, both markedout board members and non-board members. And I did get quite a bit of extra fruits in that mess.

Let us begin. 


Day 1



I arrive in NYC withafter Atlantic City broadwalk con and found a free parking spot. The first spot we try we score a some names, then Woodmo and Greg arrive from another spot. Shortly after I decide to hit up that other spot mainly because I want to get Mary Steenburgen from Back to the Future 3. 

Some notable things from that spot: 

I broke the barriers to get the Mary photo op. But in hindsight that effort would be a waste as I got both her and Ted Danson when they returned. 

I was devastated when I didn't get Matt Lanter after I realized he was the voice of Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars cartoon. But I would later make that up and get the shot. 

I tried tooth and nail to get Ray Liotta after adelta got him but he cursed me out and gave me invalid shots despite eventually saying "just fucking take it already". Thankfully I would make that up later in the evening when I approached him yet again as he returned. He looks at me, he laughs, takes a valid shot and asks "did it come out this time?". Since this was somebody I missed multiple times in the past, my reaction was this face 

Arnold Schwarzenegger came in and out, and did nothing each time. This was including a time we had him 4 on 1. This of course caused devastation for Joresky who didn't have an Arnold shot. 

Carl Weathers from Rocky and Predator would do nothing for no one throughout. Sucks for me cause I wasn't at the Monstermania he did. Hopefully he does another con. 





Sampling of photo ops:

Ray Liotta

Matt Lanter

Ted Danson



After everything was done, we moved the car to another spot in order to commandeer our free parking spot for the rest of the week (which happened to be our sleeping arrangements for the rest of the week). 


Day 2

This day would start at a spot for Indian actress Priyanka Chopra and the band American Authors. Gordon Ramsey was also there but I had him. Gordon comes out first and I get another shot. Priyanka then comes out and does a roll down. I manage to get a car shot and 3 items signed. The band then comes out and I score photo ops with all the band members. 

With this success on to the next spot. Sadly many names didn't come over but I got some good scores such as Famke Janssen from Goldeneye and X-Men. Also got an upgrade with Vincent D'Onofrio from Daredevil. 

Now on to the next spot where I traditionally have huge success. Unfortunately they changed the setup to a point where success was a million fold harder. Police even closed off a large chunk of the area so one couldn't run around as much. I even tried another area of that spot where some Masters were stationed but sadly the Masters had pretty much taken over that area where unless you had a front rail position it would be worthless. So I went back to my original position. 

With the crowds and bad setup I was only able to get chump change. Among other things I did get Erin Richards no shades upgrade. First time the sun ruined the shot but she did a second shot which was better. I got another David Boreanaz shot, Miranda Otto from Lord of the Rings, and I failed on getting upgrades with Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller (I got them a year ago both with shades). 

Left this spot and joined Woodmo and got some more names. At this spot I cursed out and threatened someone who photobombed two of my photos. Luckily one of the shots was someone I had, and the other I got a redo. 

Then we went to scout out another spot but one side was filled with a million people. So we tried the other side where we saw both Arnold and Jennifer Lopez. Arnold signed like 4 autographs but didn't do much else. And J-Lo did one selfie and signed some autographs. While this was happening adelta was having a rack fest at another spot. 

Quickly left to another spot where I ran into Greg but no one great there. Saw Erin Richards again I figured I'd get a much better shot without the sun ruining it. Sadly she remembered me and went "oh, you again" then went inside. Joined adelta at the final spot for the evening where I got more names including a much needed Jimmy Smits upgrade. 

Traditionally this day was always my best. While I wouldn't call it a bust, this time it was sub par. In part because the setup for the one spot's setup was shattered, and in part because we tried for Arnold and J-Lo while adelta was killing it somewhere else. Also missed Miley Cyrus photo ops at yet another spot. 


Full list of Day 2 photo ops part 1

Full list of Day 2 photo ops part 2


Full list of Day 2 photo ops part 3


Sampling of photo ops:











Day 3

This spots start with informing me of Mariah Carey's arrival into a spot. Since she was not due for a little bit and likely won't do it going in we go wait at a spot for Ellie Kemper from Bridesmaid. Sadly she takes so long to come out that we missed Mariah completely but she did nothing anyway. When Ellie did come out she saw us and went to her car. Three of us went after the car in the hopes of a roll down and she rolled down. 

Moved on to the next spot where we got some names, then scouted out another spot with Greg to check out if there would be activities but there would be none. 

Then went to a spot for Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, and the band Coldplay. Eugene and Catherine did nothing going in, with Eugene promising to come over when leaving. 

At one point the Chris Martin from Coldplay apparently went in the door and only one girl noticed him. We asked that girl why she didn't call him over she said she was so in shock from seeing him she was choking on her own voice and couldn't call him over. My reaction was this face 

Eugene and Catherine both come out pretty much at once. At this point I was fighting and screaming and begging to get the shots. I managed to get Eugene but Catherine was ignoring me as she took photo ops with others. 

At one point I was behaving so frantically I got between two German lesbians and they shruged me away. I then quickly went to the left of them (my original railing spot) and one of them pushed me away using her full arm. I quickly shrugged her away saying "don't fucking touch me" as I continued to scream for Catherine and finally got the damn shot! WOW I couldn't believe that happened. After this I got in a spat with the lesbians and with another garpher who said I shouldn't touch a woman and he would kick my ass if I did. I told him I would kick his ass back. Meanwhile Vanessa got in a spat with whom she accused of preventing her from getting Eugene Levy. 

Next up we wait for Coldplay. All but the lead singer leave and do nothing. The lead singer Chris Martin comes over but refuses to take photo ops despite me begging him and telling him I have nothing to get signed and only want the photo op. He then gives me a stupid band pin as a consolation prize. After this is done I give that fan girl the pin telling her it means more to her than it does to me. After all for me it's basically a reminder that I failed to get the photo op. Nothing more.  

Me and Joresky go to grab a bite to eat. While we were eating members of cold play returned because they forgot something. And since the crowd mostly cleared out they actually came over! Damn. 

At this point we go with two of our buddies to try a spot for Selma Hayek and others but the setup is bad. We then drive downtown to checkout a Mariah Carey spot but we don't anticipate success there. We go to yet another spot where we get chump change. We then decide to give the Mariah spot a shot on exits but she does nothing. Though some people tried her at her living quarters and scored.  

My main success for this day was Eugene/Catherine, the rest was pretty much dire.





Sampling of photo ops:

Ellie Kemper





Day 4

We start this day at a spot for Zac Efron, but sadly he is a dick and goes out of his way to avoid everyone. Move to the next spot where I score more names most notably a random in Puff Daddy! When going after him I had no idea who I was getting and just got the photo op. Then after I got it I was told it was Puff Daddy. Pretty good score for a random especially since I missed him in the past. 

Now there were two spots that would have the same set of names, but the setup of the first one was absolutely horrible. Even though Radioman was there I decided not to waste my time. So I walked over to the second one with and Cancer Free Dave. This spot had multiple points of entry but I eventually figured out the right one and called them both over. Eventually I would be joined at this spot by Joresky. 

I would score several good names here. Dermot Mulroney (who I also got to sign my Young Guns laserdisc), Matt LeBlanc from Friends, got a major upgrade photo op with Bill Paxton, among others. Kevin James sadly did nothing going in or leaving but I went after the car and got a roll down shot. Had a photo op with him before but not too find of my first shot. 

After this spot Vanessa had the scoop on where these people were staying. I went there in the hopes of seeing Kevin James but sadly no luck. I got some folks from Big Bang Theory though. And I got to charge my phone which was good. Plus this spot was low key so no huge crowds like at other spots. 

Went back to the crowded spot and got a couple more names but sadly they were all just upgrade shots me (Jenna Elfman, Lana Parrilla, Katy Mixon). 


Full list of Day 4 photo ops part 1

Full list of Day 4 photo ops part 2


Sampling of photo ops:

Puff Daddy

Dermot Mulroney

Matt LeBlanc

Bill Paxton


Kevin James


Day 5

For this day we decided not to go too early as the madness was just too much for the expected rewards, plus we needed some rest. 

First spot we wanted to try for Julianne Moore. The first thing amiss was the total lack of Masters for her. Sure she's not the biggest name but one would think SOME would show up for her. Turns out she was not at the spot and only Rose Byrne was there. Since Rose isn't known to be the nicest coupled with other stuff going on that all made sense. 

Given this upsetting discovery we were about to leave the spot. As we were leaving to our shock Rose came out and did combos with the few girls waitingWe got upgrade shots. 

Go to the main spot for the day. Turns out Luke Perry is there! Holy crap a want of mine! Sadly I miss him but Joresky gets him. 

Highlights from this spot 

I get some actors from the new Riverdale TV show, namely Camila Mendes (Veronica), Cole Sprouse (Jughead also he was in Big Daddy), Ashleigh Murray (Josie), and Lili Reinhart (Betty). This is a show I would probably enjoy and now I'd watch it since I got photo ops from it. 

Scored a movie name in Alice Braga as a random 

Get an upgrade with Victoria Justice which I had to really beg and plead for 

Got a Stephen Baldwin upgrade photo op. He even removed his shades when taking pictures

Finally saw Luke Perry again and via INTENSE begging I got him to pose with me 

Cheech did photo ops but he had a had and shades so I had no reason to get this downgrade shot with him. 

Left this spot briefly to get a Charlie Cox upgrade. Picked up a few scrubs while at that spot. Back to the main spot where the evening ended with a Rachel Bloom shot,. 

Full list of Day 5 photo ops part 1

Full list of Day 5 photo ops part 2



Sampling of photo ops:

Rose Byrne

Luke Perry

Alice Braga

Victoria Justice


Charlie Cox


Day 6

The day starts on a good note. Got KJ Apa AKA Archie! After I got the first shot he removed his cap and I got an instant upgrade. Because he is essentially Archie haired. Also got a random movie name in Marie Avgeropoulos, among other things. 

After a while we finally quit the boob tube festivities and moved on to a spot with Jessica Lange, Gabrielle Burns, and Michael Shannon. 

At this spot we were joined by a Florida grapher. And also there was a girl who said that Jessica Lange "saved her life" and she had a note to give her. I asked her how Jessica Lange saved her life. Apparently she has mental issues and Jessica's movies helped her pull through. Honestly people who say such things make me feel sane, and that's pretty bad. 

But anyhow, while we were waiting a guy comes out of the theater saying we are harassing people at their work place and this is illegal. He was saying he have to move away. The Florida grapher went in a back and forth argument against his idiotic claims that we were somehow not allowed to stand on the sidewalk. In the end he said he'd agree to move just to make him happy. As the Florida grapher told me, this guy is lucky none of the NYC graphers were here because they really would have gone off on him. 

Jessica Lang arrives and we approach her. As expected does nothing from no one. The Florida grapher points out the girl's note and she does take the note. After Lang is in the guy who yelled at us goes inside. So essentially he came out just for her. 

Not too long after Gabriel Byrne arrives and does combos with us no problem. Score! 

Finally only Michael Shannon is left. I got him before but I wanted to Virgilize him. 

I see him approach from a distance and then he just sits down to eat and smoke. Me and the Florida grapher are now simply waiting for him to be done. Wow it was quite a sight, there you have General Zod sitting down, tons of people passing by him, and no one blinks an eye or gives a crap. 

Finally he is done and he stops for us no problem. I get my General Zod figure and Man of Steel blu ray digibook signed.

I then go to the car and rush to an Emilia Clark book signing. Sadly they are not allowing photo ops. I wait by the exit door and way WAY too many people gather around. She does nothing for no one. In hindsight perhaps I should have tried to buy the book and beg.

I then join Joresky downtown to go for Penelope Cruz. We join our buddies at the Cruz spot. Masters and minions are waiting outside. But we had tickets to go inside and hopefully score. 

She snuck inside and apparently signed some autos. Greta Gerwig leaves and I get a photo op. 

When they tell us to line up we all go inside the theater and as she is doing her introduction we take our seats. When she is done we ask for photo ops and I beg for a selfie. I grabbed the shot! HOLY CRAP I COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS WORKED! 

As we were getting our shots others in the crowd actually laughed and giggled at us. Reminds me of a time years ago when I was mocked in a similar setting for asking Arnold for a photo op. But you know what? I'll take it. I can't think of too many better ways to be mocked than with a celebrity photo op (especially if that photo op is Arnold). When the photo ops were done I didn't even stay for the movie I just quickly exited the theater. 

When there I showed some of the Masters my photo op. I also offered my assistance to one Master and he gave me an 8x10. But Cruz rushed outside into her car. 

After this it was time to go. But there was a spot for Ben Foster and Gillian Anderson that ended late. In my Ben Foster shot he is wearing a cap so the upper front of his face is covered. Since this did not conflict with anything and the night pretty much ended this upgrade was worth a try. 

We arrive at the spot just as it's letting out. The free parking spot I found was littered with lots of trash on the side which is probably why the spot was empty. So naturally I took the parking spot. 

After people mostly cleared out I befriended a girl and had her wait at one door while I watched a side door and Joresky watched a front door. I saw Ben Foster come out and called Joresky. I got my upgrade shot then Joresky chased him down to get his shot. He is wearing a top hat in this new shot. Not perfect but MUCH better than a cap. 

Unfortunately for the girl she came for Gillian Anderson and Gillian rushed out yet another door none of us were watching and did nothing for no one. I asked that girl where she was heading she said midtown. I told her we were heading there and she could ride with us if she wished to. She accepted. She then asked if we knew a place to eat that's still open at this hour. I told her we were going to Two Bros Dollar Pizza so this works perfectly. 

We drive to mid town, get some pizza with the girl, then we part ways and leave the city.

Full list of Day 6 photo ops


Sampling of photo ops:

Archie haired KJ Apa

Marie Avgeropoulos

Gabriel Byrne

Michael Shannon

Penelope Cruz


Ben Foster


Now to showcase the limited autographs obtained: 

Young Guns laserdisc

Michael Shannon autographs

Priyanka Chopra and Gabrielle Burns Signed 8x10s

Superman Returns DVD signed by Brandon Routh

No comments:

Post a Comment