Saturday, October 15, 2016

New York Comic Con Week 2016 part 1

This is one of the weeks of the year I dread most, but it has become a yearly tradition for me and to embark on New York Comic Con week as there's so much going on that week. It is the week where you will get a lot, and you will miss a lot. Unfortunately the week would be plagued by misses and by PUNCHES in the face. As always I will split it into days, with the first day being the day prior to NYCC.


Wednesday

This day would start at a spot where I hoped to get a Penelope Ann Miller combo as my top prize, Army Hammer autographs, among other things. Unfortunately, both those would garage and do nothing for no one. I did get Tim Matheson and other names that were all get if there. 

The first PUNCH in the face is we hear Jennifer Lopez would do photo ops on her set while we failed to get Penelope. And the second PUNCH would come the next evening when I looked at the Facebook of a Master combo hunter and he would showcase perfect photo ops with both Penelope and Army taken at another spot which took place after we failed. 

With the news of J-Lo we drive by the set, but sadly could not find an ideal spot to stand. So we rushed to the Jeff Bridges set and we do in fact find the perfect spot to stand. I already have Jeff Bridges but he has a beard in my shot so this would be a major upgrade as he is clean shaven. 

We see him and he says he's late and he'll stop when he returns. True to his word he returns (albeit with a plate of food) and does combos with us. I get a vinyl signed and a Last Unicorn blu ray cover. 

We then go to the next spot where we hope to see Kristen Stewart. While doing so we see randoms. Got BJ Novak and Sean William Scott but had them already. I did however get a decent fresh score in Stephen Dorff from Blade. Then Kristen Stewart rushes in and does nothing for no one. At this point we decide we will no longer try for Kristen Stewart for the rest of the week. 

Go to the final spot for the evening, saw Manu Bennett and get an update. A little of a PUNCH here as I paid for him at NYCC in the past. Then got Skylar Astin. 

After this we commandeered a free parking spot and went to sleep. 

Jeff Bridges

Stephen Dorff

Full list of Wednesday photo ops


Thursday

Before heading to NYCC we stop by a spot just to see who we see, I get an update with Batman producer Michael Uslan. We then head to the Javits center. Upon arrival Joresky finds out from a buddy of his that Fifth Element director Luc Besson is doing a signing! WTF! This is a great name, what a gift! 

Unfortunately the line is capped however he has another signing. But then they ask us if we'd like to go and of course we say yes. Wow things are actually going our way, VICTORY! We saw him do photo ops with a child and a woman, so we were hopeful. Sadly when it came to our turn he ordered us to position ourselves in a bad spot for the photo op, next to cinematographer Jean-Claude Mezieres. Wow what a PUNCH in the face that was! I felt almost as shitty as I did when we randomly ran into Mike Myers and he covered half his face with his arm. Not as bad as that as Mike Myers is a bigger name and you can see Luc's full face here, but still it's similar because here you were given a gift and it was followed by a punch. It's still valid as they both work together in the same stuff (including Fifth Element), I'm still grateful to have it, but it's far from ideal. It's essentially like a Black Sabbath photo op but you're standing next to Geezer Butler.

We did wait for him to leave to try for a proper shot but sadly he went out another way. . Next we went to the Captain Planet and the Planeteers panel. Got David Coburn (voice of Captain Planet), Joey Dedio (Wheeler), Nicholas Boxer, Oren Lyons, and Barbara Y.E. Pyle. Ed Asner was there but I had no reason to worry about another shot as I have a couple already. 

Next up is a free signing for the show Carmilla. Not sure what that is but free is free and you never know who will become someone in the future. We get a signed tampon box and photo ops. Back to the next Luc signing to attempt for proper photo ops. But before doing so I rush to where Rob Liefeld (co creator of Deadpool) is and manage to mooch to the front of the line for a photo op. Success! I then go to Nichelle Nichols and get a table op. Then when Luc's signing is done we follow him outside the venue and I try asking him in French for the photo op. But he leaves whilst waving goodbye to me. 

Next up to Hammerstein Ballrooom. The two panels that they were having at Hammerstein were Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple and The Exorcist TV series. My main goal was Geena Davis. I know she's nasty but I thought if there's one place she might stop it would be here. The Legends of the Hidden Temple cast arrived and I get photo ops with all including two child actors. When Geena Davis leaves I beg and she goes "sorry". This spot ended with photo ops with actress Brianne Howey and producer Jeremy Slater. 

We then rush to the J-Lo spot and find the perfect place to stand, but sadly miss her by 30 minutes. Another PUNCH in the face. Next I hit up the "easy" spots and get Simon McBurney. Then to a spot for randoms where I get a bunch of people but sadly the ones I would really care about I already had. 

Jean-Claude Mezieres and Luc Besson

David Coburn

Joey Dedio

Rob Liefeld

Nichelle Nichols

Full list of Thursday photo ops part 1

Full list of Thursday photo ops part 2


Friday

I start the day by attempting for J-Lo yet again. However the setup this time is bad that the only viable shot is when she is done. Essentially I would have to miss all of NYCC on Friday for a chance at J-Lo. The way I thought of it, even if I did get her I'd consider it a bust. So I bailed and went back to NYCC. Right here Joresky went for paid guaranteed pro ops and spent more than an after tax weekly paycheck of flipping burgers. I chose to try the free route at MSG, with my top want being Andy Serkis (Gollum, Caesar). 

As I arrive the Dr. Who people leaving but sadly I only manage to get writer/producer Steven Moffat. The PUNCH here would be they all went to Javits and did photo ops there. 

As I wait for more to leave I fail to get Theo James but get Kate Beckinsale though not without another PUNCH. The photo op is sub par and I plan to upgrade at RICC. Three strikes against the photo op. She has shades, the pose is bad, and a security guard can't be removed from the shot. If ONE of these strikes existed I may have chosen to be happy with my free shot. But with three sadly I'm going to upgrade. 

While waiting for more exits I score director Anna Foerster. Then shortly after Andy enters but says she's late and that he'd do it on the way out. That was a major PUNCH in the face right there. On exits I get actors Eoin Macken and William Levy, director Paul W. S. Anderson, and Milla Jovovich (though the photo op is a downgrade). I saw Ali Larter but had her twice so could worry about things I didn't have. 

I had a ticket for yet another Luc Besson signing taking place but because Andy denied me going in I had to wait for him leaving and had to sacrifice my shot for a better photo op. Wow what a PUNCH here. This would be an even bigger PUNCH because time passed and I never saw him, leading me to believe he left through the other door. I was literally the ONLY combo hunter waiting for Andy. Had Joresky been with me and not busy with his pro ops, we could have watched both doors. But because I was the only one I could only watch one door and I chose the door that every single celebrity was leaving from. There would be yet another Andy related PUNCH as he did everything for everyone at the Javits center. Wow just wow. I consider Andy my biggest miss of NYCC. 

I then go to the Javits center to get Ryan Hurst. I figure might as well pick up a guarantee. But he was $50 for a photo op so I passed. As I walked I saw Woodmo's buddy Tony and we agreed to split the photo op. Me and Joresky then head to a Rick Astley CD signing. He played a mini concert before the show but worthless to me as I could only see it on screen and wasn't in the room. Finally get up to him and despite them saying only the CD I got extras done. The CD that you bought had a booklet separate from the CD cover. It got to a point where they said one or the other. But I ignored the demand and I got the CD cover, CD booklet, and two other items not bought from Barnes and Noble. He was standing for every single photo op and would bend down a sign. Wow why can't everyone be that kind 



Go to the car and drop Joresky to a screening of his. I then decide on a whim to check a spot for randoms that was a 2 minute drive from where I dropped Joresky. As soon as I arrive I see a combo hunter getting people. I illegally park and rush to get a photo op. Norman Reedus was there and the guy I was getting a photo op with wanted to wait for Norman to pose with us but I told him I needed him not Norman as I got Norman before. Got the shot and didn't know who it was at the time but when Joresky finally arrived I showed him the shot and turns out it was Jeffrey Dean Morgan AKA the Comedian from Watchmen and also in Walking Dead, a name that I had every intention for paying for at Rhode Island Comic Con. Money saved right there! Got more names Walking Dead and otherwise, ending the evening with an upgrade with Aaron Paul and a fresh meet with a decent name in Jason Mantzoukas.


On a side note Radioman was also at that last spot. He was talking to other combo hunters. Then I was just pacing randomly and he proceeds to charge at me and attacks me yelling at me to stay away from him and hang "over there" I then push away his hand and say "don't fucking touch me". 

Kate Beckinsale

Rick Astley

Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Full list of Friday photo ops


Now to showcase some autographs

Signed Valerian poster and tampon box

Signed CDs, Vinyl, and blu ray

No comments:

Post a Comment