Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Custom Monstermania, CSA Show, and more

I had no intention of attending Monstermania in Hunt Valley at the end of September. But getting Robert Englund for free and without putting up with huge lines (ie upgrading my photo op and getting autographs hassle and money free) was something on my bucket list. So I got his flight info and the stars aligned where I was able to make it. 

I arrived at the airport and a PA grapher was there. Apparently more Monstermania people are on the flight. Cool! 

We spot Robert and he is nice as can be. Get autographs and photo op, including one item signed by Wes Craven. Was nice to get him without waiting in those horrid convention lines and paying 1-2 days worth of flipping burgers to meet him. Also got updates with William Katt and Bill Moseley, and first time shots with Amanda Wyss and Ricky Dean Logan. Not a shabby evening. John Heard was on the flight but somehow slipped by, which didn't matter to me as I got him at a Cherry Hill Monstermania in the past. 

Robert Englund

Full list of photo ops

Autographs


Next up I attended CSA sports show. Of course there was no sports name there I would even pay upper tier two figures for much less the three figures they were asking. So I stuck with the movie names. And as with last time I successfully managed to mooch admission. 

First up I get Dwier Brown who played Kevin Costner's dad in Field of Dreams. Already have a few names from that cast (including Kevin) so why not get another. Plus they had a Field of Dreams background. Then I got Susan Backlinie who is the first victim of Jaws and also in the movie poster. A good get if there name. And they had a cool Jaws background. Wow I like those authentic backgrounds. Much better than the typical horrid pro op backgrounds and certainly a ton better than CGI backgrounds some have been offering. My last guest was Rob Garrison from Karate Kid, adding yet another name to my Karate Kid collection. 

Full list of CSA photo ops


Later that evening I would try a venue for Kathleen Turner and Marg Helgenberger (Species, Hera in the Wonder Woman movie). That venue is sadly every combo hunter's worst nightmare. Multiple front doors, side doors, stage doors, garages, you name it this venue has it. And Kathleen Turner isn't photo op friendly and always drives out of this venue. I would never ever wait for Kathleen at this venue but I wanted to try for Marg so I figure might as well come a tad earlier and wait for Kathleen. As expected never saw Kathleen, so I waited by a door I thought Marg might come out of and prayed to the combo Gods (we could also watch 2 or 3 other doors from that spot). Thankfully she came out of that door and was nice as can be.

Marg Helgenberger


Leave the venue that is every combo hunter's worst nightmare to a venue that is every combo hunter's wet dream. Only one front door that goes in and out, and you have to walk through a tight alley that is 110% public grounds. So if they ever say you have to leave the alleyway you can just refuse (which has happened to me in the past). Additionally they can't even block the alleyway because people and cars go back and forth. The name I was going for is pop singer Jody Watley. She is not a huge want of mine but I was already in town and this was ending not too long after I got Marg. Plus it's a decent name so I figure why not. 

We wait and she eventually comes out with some kind of transvestite. She goes "I don't like people that sneak up on me in the dark". I say I want a photo op she goes in a lighted up area and says "let's do it here". She then removes her spectacles and I get a photo op. Another grapher has an item and she goes "I'm only doing one". As we thank her she goes "don't sneak up on people in the dark" as she walks away.

Jody Watley

No comments:

Post a Comment