Sunday, October 16, 2016

New York Comic Con Week 2016 part 2

If you have not already please see part 1 of my NYCC report.


Saturday

This day would start at the Javits center where I would get a ton of photo ops. First one would be David Mazouz from Gotham. This is a great update because he now looks older than when I got him last. Would not have paid for the shot but for free that is a good score. 

Among the other upgrades I got include McG (Director of Charlie's Angel), Deborah Ann Woll (Daredevil), and Frank Miller. Some fresh names I got include Jon Gries (Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite), Tyler Posey (TVs Teen Wolf), among others. 

Unfortunately my time here was not without more punches in the face. First PUNCH was getting Ryan Hurst for free after paying for him the day before. Second PUNCH was finding out that Keanu Reeves did multi combos at MSG. I already had him but needed autographs. I guess Reeves is probably the softest punch of all as I can't be in multi places at once. Also missed the Power Rangers movie cast at MSG but they didn't do much so technically not a miss. 

Also went in the building to split an Evangeline Lilly photo op with  I managed to get a solo shot, partially mooching the photo op.

At one point it started raining and Joresky went inside. That was when I got Mike Colter AKA Luke Cage (among others). I also got another PUNCH in the face as Joresky gets Steven Blum from Star Wars Rebels. To make matters worse he had a booth but amongst all the chaos and all the pain and misery I was going through the past few days it just slipped my mind to look him up! Ugh that was a want of mine. 

I call Joresky and he says Amy Heckerling (director of Clueless) is just hanging around in the hallway. I then rush and get her and also Real Genius director Martha Coolidge. Martha looked at me with fascination. According to her I look like her family members.

Next up I try a panel. After it's done I get Chris Hardwicke, Reg E Cathy, Wrenn Schmidt, and Star Trek's Brent Spiner. Sadly at this point my camera battery dies and my backup battery isn't working! I fail to get a photo op with Patrick Fugit from Almost Famous! Damn another PUNCH in the face. 

I then rush to a spot where I can see randoms and also charge my battery. Luckily my friend Suzanne was there and could take my photos. Meanwhile I plugged my camera battery into a charger at a secret location where I was mooching a building's electricity. There was a huge crowd so I didn't fight for people I knew I had. But I did get a photo op with Verdine White from Earth, Wind, and Fire. 

Joresky arrives and after my camera battery is fully charged we head to the next spot to meet up with Vanessa the Jersey Shore stalker and find the info for the next spot. Upon arrival turns out she already found the info. She then hops in the car and we drive there. 

It is raining and it is miserable. Lin-Manuel Miranda is the only known name there and he is foul. Other randoms show up but I have them all. I got a couple of photo ops but this spot is a bust. Me and Joresky decide to cut our losses, commandeer a spot close to the Javits center, and get a some wonderful and much needed sleep. I so tiered I slept like a baby for the next few hours. 

Evangeline Lilly

Jon Gries

Deborah Ann Woll

Brent Spiner

McG

Amy Heckerling

Frank Miller

Full list of Saturday photo ops part 1

Full list of Saturday photo ops part 2

Full list of Saturday photo ops part 3


Sunday

The day starts off with pretty miserable weather. The perfect place to be is within the walls of the Javits center. First we line up for Noelle Foley. Wanted to split a Noelle combo with Joresky with him getting the photo op and me getting her to sign my Beyond the Mat poster. She marked out when she saw the poster going "oohhh wow the documentary, is it 1999?" and I said that it was. As she was signing it Foley goes "oh I signed it already" and I said that he did. Joey Styles came over and marked out for the poster as well. I also told Noelle I needed her mother and brother to sign it. 

Joresky got a dual photo op and I went and got a dual shot and also got a Noelle only update! Wow this worked out well. Paid for a Noelle combo mooched some additional photo ops. A good start to the day. 

Next we go to the Outsiders panel. After it was done got Kyle Gallner (Nightmare on Elm Street remake), Christina Jackson, Gillian Alexy, David Morse, Peter Tolan, and Peter Mattei. On to the next panel where I was hoping get actor Christopher Meloni but sadly he cancelled. Got other cast members and Akiva Goldsman (Batman Forever & Batman and Robin writer). 

My next panel featured 95 year old Mad Magazine veteran, Al Jaffee. He was a want of mine and being as old as he is this would likely be my last chance for him. I missed him at Baltimore Comic Con due to being in NYC for Star Trek con so this second chance was a blessing.I wait for the panel to end, and then just waltz behind the table. I ask Al for a photo op and he does it no issue. Wow easiest panel get ever. No security no nothing! No one bothered me in any shape or form. I was also the ONLY one to ask for photo ops. 

Unfortunately it would be accompanied by a PUNCH in the face. Someone asked him for an autograph and he gave a nice autograph and sketch. I asked for the autograph next and he said he would stamp and that a stamp is "just as good". Wow that was crushing! He's 95 so I couldn't say anything about it but it was a damn painful punch getting a stamp while someone else got the full auto/sketch just before me

Behind the scenes: Al Jaffee stamps my magazine

I also got photo ops with the others in the panel who were more than happy to pose. In fact they reacted like I was the first person ever to ask them for a photo op (Denis Kitchen and Arnold Roth upon research both seem valid).


I then rush to Hammerstein to join Joresky. I get Son of Zorn director Eric Appel and actor Johnny Pemberton (who purposely poses looking away from all cameras). 

Next up is a panel with

Jonathan Nolan
Thandie Newton
Jeffrey Wright
Jimmi Simpson
Ben Barnes

Out of those, the first 3 are wants of mine, the other 2 are "get if there" names. 

As we wait a bunch of kids start hanging about. Then they extended the railing. So far so good. The first two in are Jimmi and Ben. They do photos with everyone no problem. Upon inspecting the photos I notice two of the kids photobombed me

Photo op #1

Photo op #2

I fucking went off on the kids! Keep in mind that 3 more people were coming in so I could not have them photobomb me again. I cursed them out and told them to not do this again. 

Next person in was Jeffrey. At one point the black kid tells him something and he doesn't do a photo op with me. I tell the boy "did you just tell him not to take a picture with me" and the black kid says in a laughing manner "that's my dad" I go "yea right". As it turned out he was telling the truth and at one point all the kids went inside the stage door. 

At that point the week hadn't gone to well and I was in drunk and salvage mode after so many punches and THIS happens? I bust my ass off for photo ops and a bunch of kids PUNCH me in the face and take one away from me! 


After Jeffrey the kids were gone and I was able to get Thandie Newton going in. Nolan did nothing for no one but said he would take care of people on the way out. This meant we were were staying for exits. This also meant we had to sacrifice the Lucha Underground panel. But thankfully I already got a mask photo op with Rey Mysterio so it wasn't a huge deal to me. Though there were a couple of lower names in the panel I wanted. 

On exits I upgrade both my Jimmi and Ben no meddling kids in the background. So at least that was fixed. Thandie does nothing for no one so thank God I got a good shot going in. Attempted to disguise myself and get Jeffrey but sadly no dice there. Nolan came out and true to his word took care of everyone. 

This ended NYCC week. Sadly, despite a lot of decent and half decent gets and then some I consider NYCC week sub par at best. No fresh names that were big and a LOT of misses and/or PUNCHES in the face. Overall I give myself a C at best. 

Mick and Noelle Foley

Al Jaffee

Johnathan Nolan

Thandie Newton

Full list of Sunday photo ops part 1

Full list of Sunday photo ops part 2

Al Jaffee stamps

Signed Beyond the Mat poster

I have Mick Foley (signed twice as Mankind and Cactus Jack), Noelle Foley, Terry Funk, Dennis Stamp, New Jack, and Droz. The other people I'd want to add are director Barry Blaustein (the cousin of ), Foley's wife and son, The Rock, and Jake Roberts. Jake won't sign it unless you pay him 3 figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment