Monday, April 17, 2017

A Trifecta of Philly area cons, some punches, and some LOVE

We will start a couple of days before the cons. I try for actor Tim Robbins at the airport. Despite my best pleas, he rejected doing photo ops at all costs saying "I don't want to do it". Finally accepting defeat on that front, I then plead for an autograph and get one. 

Tim Robbins autograph


Fast forward a couple of days, I go up north with  and Martin. With Greg Evigan, one of my top Chiller wants, having cancelled Chiller I wanted to go first to  Amazicon in Wilmington to get him. Joresky is in panic mode and wasn't thrilled with the idea since he needed no one there and was afraid it would cost him and Martin names at Great Philly and Nostalgia cons. But one luxury that comes with owning the car and being the only driver, you get to make choices such as this. Had it been Sunday I might have entertained Joresky's fears that some people might leave their tables early. But being Saturday, the peak of con activity, and with each con being less than 1h from the other (even after setting the GPS to avoid tolls), plus the fact that each con ended at 7pm, I was confident everyone could be had during the allocated time frame. Spoiler alert, I was right. 

So anyhow, first stop for me is Amazicon in Delaware. I leave my passengers behind and enter the con. It is a ghost town. I get Greg Evigan and as quickly as I'm in, I'm out. 

Greg Evigan

Next up the Great Philadelphia Comic Con in Oaks. Arrive and meet up with for splits as we wait for Asian Dave. 

I get photo ops with Paul Freeman, Nakia Burisse, Jed Rees, Mira Furlan, LeVar Burton, Marina Sirtis, Colin Baker, and Margaret Kerry. Margaret (Tinkerbell model) is an exceptionally cool score because anyone affiliated with vintage Disney is quite a nice treat.  

Score some comic book names in Mike Zeck and Jim Shooter. Then finally Asian Dave arrives and I finish up with the Star Wars guests. I thank Dave for the free Alan Harris.

Paul Freeman

Jed Rees

LeVar Burton

Full list of Great Philadelphia Comic Con photo ops


Drive up to Nostalgia Fest in Bensalem. That con IMO had a superior array of names than Oaks (though I already had said names). Despite that there was no crowd and even RF was complaining about the lack of traffic. I get Chris Owens (Sherminator in American Pie), Vanessa Angel, and Corbin Bernsen. 

Chris Owens

Vanessa Angel

Corbin Bernsen


After the cons me, Joresky, Martin, and Greg all go feast at Golden Corral. This is where I get a PUNCH as I find out Tim Robbins racked multi combos at his outgoing. 

After I dropped both Joresky and Martin at the bus stop, I go to my date for the evening. Long story short, I had sex for the first time ever in the state of PA. 

From physical love to a band that sings about love, the next day I try for Air Supply. This is a band I failed on in the past but due to the venue not allowing us to stand on their property, not due to the band blowing us off. Air Supply actually offers $200 m&gs but I chose to go the street route because by all accounts they are guarantees if you can go up to them. 

So I arrive at the venue and scout the area. Seems there are side doors on each side of the venue. I saw railings stored on one side, so I assumed that would be the side Air Supply would come in. But since I have no experience in this venue I decided to consult a Philly combo hunter who works with the top Master of Philly. He told me that in 15 years he never got anyone at that door and told me it's the opposite end where people come in and out. Thanks to his guidance I was able to see the rather hidden stage doors. Wow good thing I had the good sense to gather some intel. 

While waiting there I see another local grapher. He's an older guy. I guess the best way to describe this guy, he is a Pokemon autograph collector.  He didn't really seem to know who Air Supply was. He was asking me how they look like and what song they sing. He told me that he gets "everybody" on baseballs, be it singers, actors, politicians. He had the cheap baseballs on him but he uses the $17 balls for bigger names. Says that with baseballs he always has "something" to get signed.

While waiting there was also an older man and two older woman who bought the m&g. They knew what I was doing but didn't want to join me. They pointed out the scrubs of the band as they entered saying "go get em" but I didn't want to make ripples in the venue for barely valids.

Wait some more and finally they arrive. They are walking to the door. First I get Graham Russell, then I go get Russell Hitchcock! YES! Photo ops secured. Now while the pokemon grapher gets Graham to sign I get Russel to sign my albums, then I run over to Graham to get my albums done. 

Graham was literally at the door when I had him sign my albums, so if not for the grapher to slow him down and get him to sign the baseballs, I would have only gotten Russel on my ablums and Graham would have been long inside as I did that.

As I put my stuff back in the car I rushed over to the line for the $200 m&g and showcased the success to the older trio from earlier. They asked "any luck?" and I showed them my photo ops. They congratulated me and I advised them to stand by that door on exits if they wanted any autographs as they proceeded to enter the venue for their fuck money m&g. 

After this success, I set my GPS to avoid tolls, played some Air Supply songs on my phone, and I went home. 

Graham Russell

Russell Hitchcock

Air Supply Autographs

No comments:

Post a Comment