Sunday, July 16, 2017

David Blaine and CSA Show

On an evening I decided to go for magician/illusionist David Blaine. To dedicate the least amount of time I decided to try in the evening. Markedout's adelta tried earlier in the day and succeeded but got a hat and shades shot. 

So I arrive and the show hadn't ended yet. I wait and eventually 2 other combo hunters arrive. There are two buses one on the front and one on the side and two fancy cars by each bus. Adelta did inform me which bus he used, but in combo hunting one never knows so we had to keep a look out. 

We look inside and notice David walking towards the side. So we run there. Then we notice a car pulls up on the side by the stage door. We suspect that this is the car he is using. Security even tells us we can't stand [on the sidewalk] by the car. I wanted to argue but didn't cause the other two didn't want to argue. One woman even told us "David's not getting into this car" but obviously we didn't believe her. So we all stood across from it but could still see everything. I figured if nothing else when the witching hour arrives I can run up to him and completely ignore all security yelling at me. Finally people start getting into that car and we look closely but don't notice him. Like WOW  that woman told us the truth? This may be a first!    

Upon this revelation we run to the side where adelta said he was. Not 30 seconds later we spot him walking to the bus with hat but no shades. I ask for a photo and he goes "let's do it" I get he shot!

The other hunter asks and I take his photo with my camera. When the third hunter asked for an autograph he goes "no autographs, only pictures" which unfortunately meant I couldn't get my 8x10s done  :depressed:  But considering I almost missed him completely, I am so grateful to the combo Gods to have the photo op 


Funny thing is I don't think any of the other bystanders even asked him for a photo op. Perhaps one other person did, the rest said nothing. Odds are he would have done photo ops for anyone who asked as he was in a "photo op only" mood. But after denying autographs and doing maybe 3 photo ops total he went into his bus. 


Couple of notes: 

I didn't think about it till after the fact, but the entourage that went into that SUV, they must have been someone important and/or valid. I couldn't tell who as my focus was on the prize so I was just looking for "David or not David" but they can't have had all that security and come out the side door for nothing. I guess this will forever be a mystery. 

While I was getting David, Adelta did get Kevin Bacon and his wife Kyra Sedgwick. But I already have great shots with both of them so I definitely made the right call going for David.


Next up is the CSA sports show! My top want there was Daphne Maxwell Reid who played Aunt Vivian in seasons 4 thru 6 of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. 

I arrive and I get a huge PUNCH in the face. Not 3 minutes before I arrive, people told me they mooched Jim Brown as he was leaving the show for breakfast. Wow that hurt bad! 

I then go inside and get both Daphne and her husband Tim Reid. I got the combo with both deal since there was no photo op only deal, and I split it with another combo hunter. So that worked out well to cut costs. Then I get actress Loni Anderson. 

I go out to intercept Jim Brown as he was coming back for the signing, but sadly did not see him. Go back inside and befriend someone who had a Jim Brown ticket. I go in line with him and I attempt a table op. I even beg and plead and the handler denies me as I fail. This is where you know you're dealing with rookies, cause as the guy was getting his auto and table op instead of quickly switching with me he ASKS "can my friend get a photo" 

After this failure I get boxer Chuck Wepner who was the inspiration for the Rocky movies. I had Jim Brown's flight but sadly something came up so I couldn't make that. But I waited outside for Jim Brown to leave the event and unfortunately it was the same handler at this signing table. I pleaded for the photo op to no avail. I further annoy the handler I did tell him "I'm just going to go the airport now" and gave him Jim Brown's flight info to his face. 

The silver lining is Jim Brown had a beard so hopefully I get another chance at a photo op where he is non-bearded. 





No comments:

Post a Comment