Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Some scattered meets to end June

For various reasons my spirit was broken and I was feeling down, therefore focused on meets that were either a guarantee or one hair short of a guarantee. Plus things where I knew the time dedicated, the pain, and the suffering would be minimal. 

First stop one evening was singer Aimee Mann, the lead singer of 'Til Tuesday (Voices Carry). I arrive and hit some bad traffic due to an accident, but thankfully make it in time as I run into markedout's adelta. 

She eventually comes out and is nice as can be, as expected. 

I was about to go home but then a music grapher recommended a spot for Jazz guitarist Pat Martino. Don't know who that is but apparently he is known within Jazz. Since I knew I wouldn't have to dedicate much more time and the venue has one door that leads to an alleyway, I decided might as well make my time a little more worthwhile with an extra photo op.

I arrive there and apparently the show ended 30 minutes ago. So I wasn't sure if he was still in or not, but I figured most likely he was. I wait for about 20 minutes and this really dingy car with NY plates pulls up. I'm thinking "no way this could be for someone valid" but then I saw a guitar being loaded in the trunk. Minutes after that sure enough he's getting into the car. I ask for a photo op and he is more than happy to oblige, even thanking me. 

Aimee Mann

Pat Martino

Autographs


On another day I go to a John Grisham signing. Thankfully I pre ordered the book because it sold out. I got a photo op at Book Con a few years back but it wasn't a very good shot. So I wanted an upgrade. Photo ops were in writing, but they said no extras. 

Arrive there and wait in the back to see him but never did. He probably arrived early. Then went inside. One friend of mine decided to bail on the event (he had already paid for his book) so I was able to give his wristband to someone else so he can get the photo op. 

The event included both a signing and reading, 5h in total. So I had no interest in waiting for him to leave to get extras. I decided to try for extras while in line. Get up to him, secure the combo, then when the guy behind me was done I put a book on the table and he signed it! No one said a thing! I actually had two more books but I was afraid to put three and freak the staff out. I though with just one I would have a better shot as they would figure it's easier to just let him sign it than make a scene (and indeed that's what happened). Plus I got the books in a free bin anyway so no big loss. I also sold the event book to another grapher thus cutting my costs. 

Later that evening I was done with a movie date and decided to for Joey Molland, the lead guitarist of Badfinger. He is the last surviving member of the principle line up of the band. Some of their known songs include "Day After Day" and "Without You" the latter which was covered by many artists. I arrive and sadly miss his meet and greet by 5 minutes. So I wait for him to leave and he is nice as can be, even saying thanks for hanging out. 

John Grisham

Joey Molland

Autographs


The next evening I decided to try for members of the band Heart. More specifically the bassist Steve Fossen and the drummer Michael Derosier who were on all the hits. Wasn't planning on this but since an engagement I had was moved to the next evening I figured why not since they are known to come out after the show. So it falls under the "all but guarantee" umbrella. To boot, the concert was free. 

I arrive and time it to catch the tail end of the concert. When it's done about 10 minutes later they setup a merch table. I manage to get photo ops with my two main targets and all the barely valids. 

Full list of photo ops

No comments:

Post a Comment