Saturday, February 2, 2019

Jackie Chan and miscellaneous January meets

Since I've been out of country in December and January has been ice cold, I've for the most part taken a break from combo hunting. But around mid January I got a flight for actor Ian Bohen. I figured it was indoors, exact info, let's break in 2019 for combo hunting. And thus I got my first celebrity photo op of 2019. 

Ian Bohen


Next up, the Jackie Chan book signing! Bought that book last year and it got rescheduled. Markedout's adelta was supposed to come up with me but decided to cancel out so I had an extra book thanks to him. This worked out great as I went up with a new traveling partner who bought adelta's book. 

I have to admit driving up to bookends was a painful experience due to the "no photo op" rule. Anyone who knows me knows that I will never forget my Kate Upton blunder. But there is also another blunder I'll never forget, and that is my Steve Martin blunder. I was thinking of going to his CD signing and didn't only to see a lot of people get photo ops. I wanted to avoid this horrific scenario again at any and all costs. And the only way to guarantee avoiding this is to go. Plus I know from past experience that Jackie Chan isn't a nasty guy. He's a nice guy just afraid of NYC crowds (which I don't blame him for). So I thought there would be at least a 50% chance of photo ops.

To boot, on my way I got word from NYC that people got Chan at the hotel. It was painful to see considering there was a possibility I would get nothing at the bookstore. When I arrived I saw the invalid photo ops the first 50 or so people got. This added to my sorrow. But then I get a facebook message from PA combo hunter Joe D. He was in line and told me he was doing table ops! What? Can it be? Is it possible? I get back in line and sure enough table ops are happening! Praise the Lord Jesus Christ! Praise the combo Gods! After failing on Jackie Chan in the past I am finally getting this photo op! Some people even scored extras and when I tried at the table I was being denied. I didn't push the issue as I wanted my photo op. This marked my first A lister of 2019, my first autograph of 2019, and my first full combo of 2019.

After the fact it was good to see and chat with for the first time since October. Brought my car around and waited for Jackie to leave to score an extra. This is probably the coldest weather I ever waited for a celebrity. They were trying to tell us he would be doing nothing but he did some photo ops and autographs leaving. I got an autograph.

With that success, me and my traveling buddy went to [ironically] a Chinese buffet and had a celebratory meal. Sadly also had to get a hotel. The water bottles in my car froze overnight so definitely was not a night to car sleep. It was a decent family owned motel less than $85 after tax and not too bad when split in two. I felt I was in a luxury penthouse as I'm so used to car sleep. But I definitely won't be making a habit out of this.

The next day it was time to embark to NYC for the first time in 2019. This will be a separate report.

Jackie Chan photo op

Jackie Chan autographs


Towards the end of January there was an event with lots of rich people. George W Bush, Bill Gates, Tim Cook, Jeff Bezos, to name a few. In the past I had bad luck at this event but I figured I'd try to see what I can get. The only significant name I saw was Tim Cook and he denied leaving and coming in. Got Cal Ripken update and some other political names. 

Full list of photo ops

No comments:

Post a Comment