Saturday, August 31, 2019

BookCon, a great random, and lots more in NYC

Around the same time at BookCon I found a space event featuring Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins. Already have Neil and Buzz so it made sense to try for Michael as my shot with him is completely invalid when I went for him at a book signing years ago. Coupled with Book Con and other stuff, I was NYC bound. 

I arrive the evening before the Michael Collins event, try an easy "show" spot for actor Michael Stuhlbarg (Doctor Strange). When he exits the people tell him stuff like "great job" but I'm literally the only one that asks him for the almighty combo. After this I do some non-combo related errands for the rest of the evening, go to my free parking spot, and sleep. 

Michael Stuhlbarg


I go to the Michael Collins event and try for people going in. I get astronaut Scott Kelly and others. When it's time for Michael he completely ignores me and one other person as he walks into the event. I join Greg for actress Robin Weigert and she is nice as can be as she enters her event.

Go back to the Collins event and as he leaves there's more people and I botch the chase with Greg. In the evening I do an "easy" show spot and finally get Maggie Siff and some of her co stars. Then I try City Winery for some original members of Blue Oyster Cult but it looks like they are long gone.

Maggie Siff

Full list of photo ops


Next day, my second ever BookCon! With my first one being the first ever BookCon. Wow it's been so long. My main want there is actor Neil Patrick Harris, someone who I've failed on multiple times. Once I got an auto only the other times he blanks (and on the street he normally has shades and/or hat). So to have him in a setting where it's actually in writing that he is doing photo ops? I set my goals on him. Throughout the BookCon I got to hang with markedout board member Ira, his fiance, and his step child! 

Meet Ira and family at the John Cena photo op session. I have multiple ops with Cena but if I could get another shot if right there then why not. I got the photo op. Sad it is not even in high rez. I even tried contacting the publisher for a high rez shot they said it wasn't even taken in high rez to begin with. To be fair they were very nice and very prompt in addressing my concerns but truly a problem that low rez pro ops are becoming a trend like that. This is the modern day forced Polaroid. Obviously not a big deal for me in this particular case as I have a few shots with Cena.

Moving on Marcus Samuelsson from Iron Chef is sitting on a table doing combos. No idea who that is, but when in Rome. Went to his table and got a combo. Now I stand in the Neil Patrick line while Ira is going for actress Evangeline Lilly whom I got already. Eventually he joins me. We then go up to Neil Patrick Harris, we buy our books. I made out my book to Ira's step daughter and gifted her the book as I finally score my white whale in Neil Patrick Harris. He actually did photo ops leaving the venue but he was wearing shades so I definitely made the right move getting him here.

We then all went to EL James, author of Fifty Shades of Grey. I bought the book she was promoting and she was happy to do photo ops. Said my goodbyes to Ira and family then explored the area a bit to see if there were more people I could get. But everything I saw I dubbed as "too much money and effort for too little".

Back in the streets of NYC I try to get Santino Fontana from Frozen. Many of his barely valid co stars come out but he does not. I would try again later in the evening. Next to his show is the show of Jeff Daniels. Didn't need him but 75 year old actress Phyllis Somerville is there. Santino comes out and I score the photo op. Then I go back to the Jeff Daniels spot I see Phyllis walk out without stopping for fans. I follow her and ask for the photo op. She is nice but says she doesn't look good. I told her that she looks great and I hope to look as good and be as healthy when I'm her age. Actress Celia Keenan-Bolger came out and I got her too.

Now one thing I had lined up was the producer of Rocky, Goodfellas, and many other movies Irwin Winkler. My initial plan was to go for him this day. Somehow I completely forgot to go. Now missing him was not the big deal cause he has another event in the exact same spot the next day, but two great randoms showed up this evening. One was an older Godfather producer and the other were both Shane and Marrissa McMahon! Never got Marrissa and the dual op would have been cool! 

Kevin Kline is supposed to be there next day, but I have him. The combo had had truly punished me! OR SO I THOUGHT! More on that later.

Neil Patrick Harris

EL James


Full list of photo ops



Wake up the next day this time I won't forget Irwin. But first I go to a spot for Benjamin Walker. I got him before but my shot is bad. So I needed an upgrade. I see him enter with his wife and child, ask for the op, and he is nice as can be. After he enters it hit me that his wife is actress Kaya Scodelario! FaaaaaaK! I wait in the hopes of a miracle and they somehow exit! I ask her for the op she uses the baby as an excuse and shakes my hand. Apparently a photo op will scare the baby. That was heartbreaking. 

Now to the Irwin event. A few of us are waiting. It's off to a good start as I get a photo op with his wife Margo Winkler. She was in Goodfellas and other movies and has a wikipedia page so she is valid. Don't get much more for a while as both Irwin and Kevin Kline apparently went in early. But as exits happen I get an update with Kevin. I then wait in line for Irwin's book signing to be done and score my photo op with him. 

As I exit who do I see mingling? None other than the wife of Kevin Kline, Phoebe Cates! WOW WOW WOW! Phoebe Cates from The Germlins movies, Fast Times at Richmond High, Drop Dead Fred, and many others! I couldn't believe it! I asked for the op and she was actually nice! Turns out me forgetting about the event the evening prior was the best thing that could have happened to me as I got my greatest score for the week and my best random of 2019! Thank you combo Gods!

Back to midtown and wait at a pre party for an event. I get up and coming 18 year old actress Sophia Anne Caruso. I anticipate she gets big and becomes hard. She definitely has the good looks for it. I also see a very suited Andre De Shields and ask him. He insists on a group shot with his "girls" as he puts it.

Then it's time for the event which is sub par but I do get a nice upgrade with Phylicia Rashad (she has a hat in my shot). 

Phoebe Cates

Sophia Anne Caruso


Andre DeShields


Phylicia Rashad



I chose to stick around one more day to try an event I hadn't tried in years just to see what it's like and how it's become. Jennifer Lopez was there but sadly she would end up sneaking out. On exits it was chaos and basically a free for all. Got Heidi Klum but I had her. Got plenty of models who knows some may make it. One funny shot I got was singer Teyana Taylor piggy backing on her husband Iman Shumpert (never heard of either of them before that). 

I did get one good movie name, namely Yahya Abdul Mateen II who plays Black Manta in Aquaman. So being here wasn't a complete waste. But I doubt I'll try this event again.

Teyana Taylor and Iman Shumpert


Yahya Abdul Mateen II

Full list of photo ops part 1

Full list of photo ops part 2




No comments:

Post a Comment