Thursday, August 29, 2019

New York City: The Festivities of the Televisions

Around mid May it was time for a week of the year that I dread. To boot, the forecasts showed lots of rain. Despite that, I decided to embark on this. But I would do one endeavor in the evening before the start of the festivities. Let us begin.

Arrived in NYC and started with an evening spot for actress Emma Thomson whom I never met before, the Jonas Brothers, and potential randoms. Two things that would be a huge factor were rain and crowd size. Thankfully I have perfect shots with two of the Jonas bros so that helped me a lot. Needed a Kevin upgrade. When they came with Priyanka Chopra I couldn't get anything but when they left I got Kevin and I got a Priyanka Chopra upgrade as well. 

Emma took care of the crowd and I got a photo op. Got actor Adam Pally, Max Greenfield who I would see several times that week, and a basketball name I never heard of. 

Actor, Tye Sheridan, a want of mine whom I missed last year, left and didn't do anything but another combo hunter managed to somehow break him down and I got a photo op. 


Emma Thompson

Priyanka Chopra

Tye Sheridan

Full list of prelude photo ops




Day 1


After some sleep wake up and start the wait. It's dead at first but I start off with actor and football player Joe Namath (whom I got a horrible shot with at CSA show). Managed to score Dax Shepard whom I failed on in prior years. After a few more arrivals like Gerald McRaney (Major Dad) and others went to the next spot where I apparently missed Oliver Platt who stopped going in but blanked leaving! 

The spot was chaotic but thankfully I had a lot of the people so I could just stand down rather than deal with the chaos. Managed to get Jimmy Smits upgrade and finally got Kal Penn who has eluded me for years (I actually know him best from Superman Returns). Back to the previous spot where I got more people. Sadly this spot has bad lighting so ops didn't always turn out the best especially at night. But I did get actress Halston Sage and others. This lighting issue would be most apparent towards the end of the night when none other than Jamie Fox shows up and we are only 3 people. He does one op then as he's trying to get away and the hotel employee is trying to pull him I manage to snag a valid shot! Though not without a few flaws due to the lighting, sadly. Failed to get Hector Elizondo that evening which would be a recurring theme (though I would eventually score).





Day 2

I start at a spot for Jessica Alba, but she wasn't there that day. Jamie Foxx was though! I try to improve my shot but to no avail. Rather than wait for him to leave I join NYC combo hunter Josh for a Paris Hilton spot where I am likely to get stuff. Get actress Angela Robinson and wait for Paris to leave. She is nice as can be as she signs and does photo ops. Back to the television festivities spot where I manage score a huge want of mine, Jennie Garth from Beverly Hills 90210! Although I would end up getting a much better shot later on that day. Got more photo ops then decided I needed a nap real bad so I went back to the car and got a power nap. While doing so people got Triple H and Stephanie at another spot. Could have used autographs but never thought they'd be gettable in that venue (I guess the rain weeded out the crowd).

Skipped the yearly park spot due to rain but apparently there were 3 people waiting (namely board members Greg and Joresky and NYC combo hunter Josh) and Hector Elizondo stopped! Yikes I miss him again! Go back to the original spot and got more names then went to an indoors spot which was God sent due to the weather. Also was unable to get Hector.

Back outside, checked out another spot within walking distance, then back to the original spot, then called it a night. 








Day 3

Started this day with an early morning spot for Jessica Alba and Shaggy. Figured if nothing else I'll get Shaggy who is known to be friendly. Sadly Alba blanked I did however get Shaggy who was super nice. Go to the spot to wait for Hector Elizondo and finally manage to get him to stop in my presence. With that I moved on to the next spot. 

Got lots of names throughout the day but sadly lots didn't stop. AJ and Aly sisters didn't stop. And the most painful thing was seeing Ed O'Neil enter the place in the evening and blank (though not exactly shocking). I even gazed into the hotel from the outside just to catch a glimpse of Al Bundy, something at this stage of the game is such a rare thing for me. It was very heartbreaking to say the least. Of course equally heart crushing is when most of the fans going for him know him from Modern Family and not Married with Children. Truly makes you feel old.

Unrelated to the event the band Judas Priest were staying there and got photo ops with them.








Day 4

I start at a spot for actress Laura Dern. I got her and actor Jack O'Connell. Laura blanked going in but was super nice leaving. Went to another spot where I had hoped to get AEW wrestlers (who stopped early morning going in) but sadly they all snuck out. I got some names like Geraldine Viswanathan from Blockers and others. Then went to another spot where I saw Judas Priest again. Then to another spot where it was so crowded but I missed actress Kaley Cuoco stopping earlier on (spoiler, I would make it up the next day).

Of to the next spot where we all fought for railing spots only for actors to not come out that way. Got a few names including an upgrade with Julian McMahon. Then went to the final spot for the day where Kaley went inside and stopped again. Never saw her but got others.

Geraldine Viswanathan

Julian McMahon




Day 5

The day would be off to a bad start. I bailed on a spot to wait again for Kaley Cuoco. Saw her but she blanked. I missed a ton of names at the spot I left. I would make up most but not all of them throughout the day. One that I never saw because he left the city is Jared Padalecki who I never met before.

I join markedout board member Greg at the Mario Lopez signing. My previous shot with him has no flash plus I had an 8x10. So I bought the book and he was nice. Back to the spot I make up some lost names. While waiting I get a call that Kaley was stopping a few blocks away. I run there and get a photo op with her! Finally! Then back to the spot to make up more lost names. Got a much needed upgrade with Lucy Hale (previous shot had hat and shades). Mario Lopez was also staying there but thankfully I didn't have to chase him down like others.

At the spot where I met Kaley, Mayim Bialik was coming out. And one girl who didn't know her away around NYC like I do wanted her. So I had her follow me to the spot so she could get Mayim and I myself got an update. Back again to the spot and got more names and would wait there the entire evening. Roby Rose was also around I needed an upgrade with her but she didn't stop. This was the last day of the Festivities of the Televisions.

Mario Lopez

Kaley Cuoco

Lucy Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment