Saturday, August 27, 2022

Shore Leave, Scares that Care, and Galaxy Con

Rounding off July cons, I would do 3 cons. Shore Leave in Maryland, Scares that Care in Virginia, and Galaxy Con in North Carolina. Sadly, covid would be a factor in these cons.

Let's start with Shore Leave, where I meet with Greg2600 on markedout. We both want Aimee Garcia but turns out she is behind a glass pane and not doing table ops. She has pro ops the next day but not the day we are there. The website said nothing of all this. And she is really the only name of note that we needed here. We wait to try to negotiate. While waiting I knock out John Billingsley of Star Trek fame and actor Eddie McClintock.

When it comes to Aimee we plead our case saying the website said nothing and we have to drive up. In the end they let us pay for table ops, but sadly there's a glass pane. However, it is 1000X better than the pro ops she did the next day. They used a horrid divider for that. And I managed to edit out the pane well. So it largely worked out.

Aimee Garcia (glass pane edited)

Full list of Shore Leave photo ops


Next up a weekend of two cons, Scares that Care and Galaxy Con. First up, Scares that Care. Thankfully I only plan for 4 people. KC Martel from ET, Steven Williams from Jason Goes to Hell and 21 Jump Street, Harvey Stephens who was the Child actor from The Omen, and finally Kerr Smith from Final Destination fame.

Full list of Scares that Care photo ops

The heartbreaking this about all this, it would be the last Scares that Care ever. Sad times cause I really liked this con. And off to Galaxy Con.


Start off Galaxy Con with Andrew Robinson from Dirty Harry. A good rare name I haven't seen elsewhere. Then Marilyn Ghigliotti from Clarks who did over the table ops due to COVID. I'm fine with that better than masks or glass.

Next up Gerard Christopher AKA Superboy. And then actor Rupert Friend from Obi Want tv show and Pride & Prejudice. Surprisingly his booth didn't have much activity and did table ops even though those were not advertised. 

Now here comes a sour note of this con. She was advertised as doing table ops. So I went to get one. But she is not doing table ops, pro ops are done, and she is not there Sunday! What an unlucky chain of events! I pleaded my case to them, told them I'd pay, and explained my situation. In the end they preferred to give me a free signed 8x10 as an apology instead of taking my money for a table op. The mind boggles. I figure she will do another con so I decided to concede and chose an 8x10 from Star Wars.

For actors I rounded up my day with Terry Farrell from Star Trek fame and Hellraiser III and Steve Downes AKA Master Chief from Halo.

I also got a couple of people from the artists area. Comic book writer Peter David. I got him to sign my Incredible Hulk comic books and a photo op. I put $5 in his donation box. And artist Tom Fleming who worked on some iconic WWE are from the early 90s. He sadly wouldn't take the mask off for ops. But I got him on two prints. He asked where I got these. I told him truthfully I got them from the Internet and printed them at Walgreen. He goes "oh, really" like he was surprised. Then I left Galaxy Con.

Michael C Hall was playing a venue in Raleigh. So I thought why not try to upgrade my shot from NYC years ago. Don't want to pay for it but for free why not. Sadly he didn't stop. Rushed out the front while we were waiting in the back. I got the barely valid band members.

Andrew Robinson

Rupert Friend 

Full list of Galaxy Con Day 1 and street photos

Autographs part 1

Autographs part 2


Go back to Galaxy Con the next day. The main objective is Brendan Fraser, a huge want of mine. Now here's the mind baffling thing about him. He is at his autograph table, he is doing no table ops. He has no mask, no glass, no divider, nothing. And he is mingling normally with fans. Yet in the pro ops he requires plexi glass. The mind boggles to no end.

I begrudgingly decide to do the op. My rationale is that if he died I would regret not getting the op. But I managed to edit out the damn divider. Ended my time at Galaxy Con with wrestler Kaleb with a K who was also Suicide in Impact Wrestling.  

Brendan Fraser (glass pane edited)

Full list of Galaxy Con Day 2 photo ops

No comments:

Post a Comment