Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Met a GLADIATOR in NYC during Chiller Theater weekend

So it was time for Chiller Halloween edition 2012. On Friday October 27 I headed out to NYC to get some celebs before going to Chiller. 

First up was actor and MMA legend Randy Couture. He was doing a signing at Tightan MMA & Fitness in Astoria, NY. Luckily I had my own picture printed cause they were charging a whopping $12 for 8x10s!!! 

When I got to him he was very cool and friendly, and gave a good hand shake. I got a combo from him. 

Next up we try a movie set in the hopes of seeing Will Smith, Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, among others. 


But sadly none were there 

Next up we try for Vince Vaughn. While I was parking the car he blows off two of my crew members. 


We then go to another spot in the hopes of seeing Russell Crowe, a huge want of mine. No signs of him but I get photo ops with Karolína Kurková (who I got before) and Katie Lee Joel. A bunch of paparazzi's were waiting for someone, but we elect to leave. We would later find out it was Mary Kate Olsen (who would have done nothing anyway).  

In the next spot our luck turns around. We see James Van Der Beek from Dawson's Creek. Not   really a want of mine but he was there so I got a combo. After him 3 members of the band XX come out and I get photo ops from each. 

We check out a new spot but it's basically a dud. Then we miss George Lucas by 2 minutes at another spot! Not a huge deal for me as I had a photo op already but horrible for one of my crew members Joresky who really wanted that photo op. 

Next up we try for Sigourney Weaver, the star of the iconic Aliens franchise and also in Ghostbusters. It was my second time meeting her so my priorities were autographs. She was ultra friendly and did combos for everyone. I got her on a show program, an Aliens 8x10, and a Ghostbusters figure. She totally marked out for the figure saying "Oh wow why didn't they send me one, where did you get it, etc". Mine was the first one she signed, HCIT! I also got a David Hyde Pierce combo (though I got him before). Tried for Frankie Valli but didn't have a good position in the railing so that was a no go.

This ends a decent Friday. Now it was off to Chiller Theater in NJ. 

some photo ops



Saturday starts with Chiller. I didn't have too many wants which was good. Sadly, the mooching Gods weren't too good to me throughout as I attempted to mooch several times but failed. 


I obtained a pre show ticket from someone selling his extra ticket, so I saved a tad of cash right there. And I start the show by saying hello to the man I see more than I do 85% of people on this planet, Virgil 

I get a spot in line for Danny Glover from Lethal Weapon and Predator 2. I then find out Dustin Diamond AKA Screech is leaving at 12pm! So I had to get him out of the way. We go to his vending area and next to him is John Wayne Bobbitt. I choose to get a combo from Screech. He wants to personalize the cast 8x10 which I don't want. And he goes "oh you want to ebay it?" I look at him with this face  cause honestly I doubt I can even get $10 for his autograph on ebay. I tell him that I hope to get the whole cast and I don't want my name multiple times and he replies "I could have been the first". He does sign it and I get a photo op. This makes my third actor from Saved by the Bell, since I got photo ops with Principle Belding and Slater. 

Since there I get John Bobbitt. He was in good spirits, super friendly, and joked with us about his dick being cut. He had kitchen knives that he was signing. I got him on the RAW entry of the WWE_E. He also drew a knife! 

Back to the Glover line where a guy lashes out at me and threatens me for "disappearing" and bringing people in line. I try to tell him to chill and that it's just a Danny Glover line and that I had to go get Dustin Diamond who leaves at 12. After more insults and threats I tell him he could either strike me right now or move on with his life. All through his wife was trying to calm him down. In the end he apologized as I took a photo op for one of my buddies and even offered to let me go in front of him, which I declined. When we left the line I accidentally bumped into him on the main floor and apologized then he offered me a hand shake as a peace offering and I accepted it. 


Joresky had items for a friend of his. About 8 of those items were for Samantha Fox. I take advantage of that to get myself a photo op. Next up was my biggest want for Chiller, Bronson Pinchot AKA Balki from Perfect Strangers. I told him he was the main reason I came to Chiller. His price was higher than expected but since he was my main Chiller want I just had to get a combo. I got him on my Perfect Strangers 8x10 already signed by Mark Linn-Baker AKA Larry, thus completing it. I did get him to stand for the photo op He did say he had an artificial leg but if I had known that I would not have asked. I also tried to get him to say "Of course not don't be ridiculous" while I record it but he wouldn't do that. 

Next up were photo ops from Andrew McCarthy (weekend at Bernie's), Steve Bauer (Scarface), Barbara Carrera (James Bond), and Virginia Madsen (Candyman). 

Joresky's friend needed Lee Majors. We went in line for that and I saw some folks I know from wrestling cons (who recognized me before I did them). They were cool to chat with and say hi to and even held us a spot in line.

Then I go for another want of mine, Aileen Quinn AKA Annie. Her handler looked like it was her mother but I'm not sure. They were both friendly and talkative and asked what I had to get signed. When they saw my laserdisc they both marked out and were impressed by it. Got a combo from her. 

Them something random happened. Barbara Leigh who was the first model for Vampirella asked to take a photo with me. She asks her handler "can you take my photo with that young man". How often does a celeb ask to take a photo with me? I'm thinking HCIT! She takes one with her camera and I ask for one to be taken with mine. When Joresky gets his photo op she charges him! 



Next up was an impulse buy, Valerie Leon. She was in Bond movies and one of the Pink Panther movies. I remembered her so I got a combo. Last Chiller guest I get would be Sophia Myles. Joresky's friend had 3 items to be signed so I got the photo op for free 


Chiller Autographs

WWE_E RAW entry

John Wayne Bobbit

Dustin Diamond

Bronson Pinchot

Danny Glover

Andrew McCarthy

Aileen Quinn

Barbara Leigh 

Full Gallery of Chiller photo ops


After all my crew gets their Chiller wants we dash to NYC so Joresky can catch his bus to Tennessee  We just make it. I then head back to the Russel Crowe spot. After all I wanted at least SOMETHING huge to happen.
 When there I see a beacon of hope 


Radioman is there!! Now true he could have been there for anybody, but the fact that this was Russel Crowe's hotel and the fact that Radioman is one of Russel Crowe's best buddies that meant in all likelihood it was just a matter of time before we see Russel Crowe. Of course I calmed myself down cause it was just too soon to celebrate. 



Radioman had a buddy there who was not too happy to see that two people just showed up at the spot. At one point a car pulled up and when I positioned myself where I thought I had the best chance Radioman's buddy says I should stand where I was because I am getting in front of Radioman and he has been there all day. I look at him with this face  as it's basically a public sidewalk and there are no railings or anything. Basically anyone can stand anywhere. I tell him that I am not trying to upstage Radioman just trying to stand where I think I had the best shot. He goes "I'm asking you nicely go on the other side". I don't comply. Turns out the car is for a nobody, and after the car leaves I do go back to the other side just to keep the peace. 

Next up more paps show up and after that two of my NYC allies also show up. Thankfully with them there I am no longer the primary target of Radioman's buddy and one pap who was also saying I "went in front of everybody" whatever that means. Now there's more people to worry about. Radioman obviously told his buddy something then I heard Radioman's buddy say "so these guys are photo with only guys? Whatever they're wasting their fucking time". 

Then a random girls comes out and jokingly tells paps to take photos. I jokingly ask for a photo op. She not only poses but she kisses me! 



Shortly after, the holy grail comes out! Russel Crowe! It was very stressful but with some pleading I get my autograph and then my photo op! I tried to get another autograph but he didn't do it. I didn't care cause I got the combo! A nice clear photo op and a great autograph! I heard he just signed initials unless you were Radioman, but I got a great big autograph  So I can't complain. As he was in his car I thanked him. 



After Chilling with my NYC allies I head out to try for Frankie Valli again. This time I had a good spot. When it came to getting the photo op the handler goes "no we're only doing autographs you take pictures and sell on ebay". My reaction was WTF   and I tell him that it's not ebay cause it's my photo with him. So my photo op is ebay but people getting autographs are not? Really? Really? I do manage to grab the photo op thankfully enough. 

Down the street was a Grace Jones concert. Wasn't sure who she was initially but upon googling her I realize I do in fact know who she is! Among other things she starred with Arnold in Conan the Destroyer and with Roger Moore in A View to a Kill. She took her time to come out. While waiting for her the original Village People cowboy Randy Jones comes out. He does photo ops and gives out his card saying "send me the picture". When she finally comes out she was reluctant to do photo ops saying no flash, but thankfully after some pleading I manage to pull it off. 

This ends a very very good day in NYC!



Russel Crowe complete with a photobomb 

Frankie Valli

Grace Jones

Randy Jones

All my NYC Street meet autographs from Friday and Saturday

Randy Couture autograph

After this it was time to drive back to Chiller to get some sleep and attend the Kirk Hammett signing (which I won). When eating in the lobby we see Maryse checking out. She ran away a day early to avoid the storm.

We then sleep. I wake up Sunday morning and say hi to Mr and Mrs Lucas. Then I calmly browse the vendor areas a bit. I go say hi to So Cal Val who recognizes me each time. Virgil goes "I heard him say he's gonna spend $55 at your table" and she goes "I heard that too". We chat up a bit and she says that she has to make her flight before the storm. I then go to Barbara Leigh's table and chat with her a bit. 




Next up we go in line to buy our limited edition cover Kirk Hammett books which were 1/250. They told us they flew Kirk to NYC but that they don't know if he could make the signing cause if he does he may not be able to make a flight out due to hurricane Sandy After an hour or so they confirm that Kirk is not showing up  

They still sell us the book saying that they may reschedule him and if they do they would honor everything they promised. I bought the book cause I figured worst case scenario I can sell the limited cover and get most of my money back (if I don't make money out of it). Plus I wasted hours at Chiller I wanted to leave with something. But honestly I'm disgusted with Chiller. I realize shit happens but why couldn't they have made the signing earlier? Hopefully they make good with their fans and bring Kirk back. 

On a rather humorous note, Virgil mooched his whole table from where he was assigned to the A level room! 

I then make the drive home successfully racing the incoming storm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment