Wednesday, March 30, 2016

MY GENERATION needs some AVENGING

On a day in march I had two goals. Pete Townshend, lead guitarist of The Who, and Don Cheadle (Ocean's Twelve, Ocean's Thirteen, Iron Man 2-3, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War, among others). 

In previous days Pete has been sick and did nothing for no one and Roger Daltrey was being a total dick even denying people before they ask for anything. 


I arrive at the Who spot. Already other graphers are there. More arrive including markedout's adelta with two graphers. He was actually playing minion to one of the graphers who gave him a ride (in exchange for autos) while the other grapher was using his mom (yes his mom) as a minion. 

Time passes we do see Roger and of course he blows us off. The old lady even tried for him at the car window he still ignored her. When Roger came back the grapher was upset his mom was sitting aside reading a book because he thought if she went up to him in time he would have signed for her. 

Pete's security guard tells us that he is still stick and won't be signing today and "maybe tomorrow". When Pete shows up one grapher spots him and he still ignored. Then we all pop up and Pete just goes in the car. Big bust. 

Now I still have two opportunities ahead. A late train for Don Cheadle and Pete coming back from the venue. Both Don and Pete somewhat conflict, but I decide to go for Don and rush for Pete.

So I go to Costco to kill some time and eat some hot dog and ice cream, then head for Don. I park the car, go inside while two people are waiting outside with a car parked out front. 

I see Don and ask right off the bat he says he can't stop. As he is walking I ask for a shot while he's walking he says ok. First shot is blurry and invalid, but I get a second shot that is much better. Looks almost invalid but he is clearly posing so I think it counts. 

He goes outside and denies the two waiting outside. Then when he goes in the car he signs and one guy gets a car shot. 

The grapher heads directly to the Pete spot, and I go to the car and head directly there. I'm about 2 minutes away from the spot and get a call. He asks where I am I tell him. He said he arrived, 30 seconds later Pete arrives and signs 5 things for him. I arrive at the spot and the grapher shows me 5 albums done and is dancing in celebration. I was beside myself. Other graphers heard the news and were upset but said I should feel "really" bad because I was there and just missed him. I don't think I felt as bad as I should have with the many many misses and blunders over the years. It's like I'm desensitized. To make matters worse Don's train as about 15 minutes later. Had it been on time I would have made the Pete spot with minutes to spare 



With news of Pete success spreaking, the next morning graphers were waiting yet again. And I decided to give it one last ditch effort. After all how many other opportunities for Pete Townshend will present themselves in the future? 

The witching hour arrives and we approach, he tells us to back off and his security guard is also there, but moments later CHAOS ensues. I guess it makes too much sense for the guard to tell everyone to calmly line up To make matters worse, Pete had his own shitty black sharpie. Triple Ugh! Despite shoving, pushing, and Pete yelling at people to back off I get two things done in the bad sharpie (one bad autograph and one really bad autograph) and somehow manage to get a valid photo op! At one point someone got him to switch pens then when the grapher who got him mom the day before put up 5 things to get signed (he had gotten 3 things done with the bad one) another grapher shoved him away yelling "don't put your stuff on top of me"

Pete left and the two graphers ended up in a HUGE fight/argument, head butting, cursing each other out, and throwing punches. Meanwhile a third grapher was trying to play peace keeper saying "guys, not here". The one who brought his mom the prior day said things like "you prevented me from getting stuff with the good marker, now I won't be able to pay my bills". 

I was recording and when they realized one of the graphers attacked me and threw me into a cab. The cab driver then said he wanted to call the cops on him because his car was damaged. But the grapher went to the cab and said "this can easily be removed" as he used his saliva to remove the marking. 

After the fact everyone shook hands and made up. We did not even bother to wait for Roger to exit. 

What a difference 2 minutes can make. The night before I could have had perfect autographs and a photo op and not dedicated any more time. But at least this story has a happy ending since I got the photo op 



Don Cheadle photo op

Don Cheadle autograph

Pete Townshend photo op

Pete Townshend autographs 



On another day I decide to try for another Avengers related name, namely Tom Hiddleston AKA Loki. Sadly he had been soured up in NYC so I was bracing for the worst. I arrive at the airport, graphers are there including markedout's adelta. We wait and never see him. We then found out he bumped his plane to the next one. So we wait longer. Meanwhile Joe Lieberman is spotted and we get photo ops. 

Finally he arrives and right off the bat he denies everybody. Airforce guy tried to use the military card but to no avail. As he walked outside I beg for walking selfie and he agrees and I get that. Photo is slightly blurry and not the best, but passable and valid. Thankfully a pap takes a MUCH better shot. When that shot was sent to me my reaction was this face 


He gets in the car and people beg for a roll down but he does not bite. 

With this photo op, I am now officially out of the Wizard World fuck money fest in June. I will still go for other names but as far as the Marvel names go I am good! Only way I would pay for anything Marvel related at that fuck money fest would be if any of the announced guests are fully suited or if they announce someone named Samuel or Scarlet. 

After this success I go to Costco, hot dog and ice cream, charge my phone, relax, and go to Hiddleston's event. At the event the only other grapher is the old timer. He wasn't happy when I told him that Tom signed nothing for no one at the airport but said "maybe he'll see me with my cane and feel sorry for me". 

He arrives at almost the last minute. The venue folks are trying to back us off but we ignore them completely and do our thing. First I get a photo op with director and producer Marc Abraham who is nice as can be then we ask Tom he says he has to go in. Marc apparently told him to sign (according to the old timer I didn't hear that) but he does one per for 3 people. He was wearing spectacles so I didn't even ask for a photo op as that would be a downgrade. 

While I dedicated more time than I would have liked, overall I'd say fruitful and successful.  

Joe Lieberman

Tom Hiddleston take 1

Tom Hiddleston take 2

Marc Abraham

Autograph

No comments:

Post a Comment