Friday, June 23, 2017

Awesome Con 2017 Report

I decided to do Awesome Con on Saturday because director and writer Edgar Wright was making an appearance that day only. I am already a fan of some of his work and he seems to be an up and coming director. I can see him reaching at least Nolan/Abrams status. I meet up with who gives me the exhibitor pass (thanks to our vendor buddies) which are worth their weight in gold. 

Besides Edgar, I only planned to get a couple of paid guests, and none were big names. I expected none of my wants to be pro op only. I was right except for one instance: Whil Wheaton! Not only that but his pro op was sold out! This was my PUNCH because now that meant I would have to come Sunday to get my photo op with Wheaton. Dammit! Khary Payton was a name I had thought of getting, but for a $60 table op and no one to split with I passed.

While Joresky was spending fuck money on the WWE guests, I look for someone that I know has attended awesome con for WWE folks before, namely the Shocked Undertaker Guy. I look for him, I spot him, then I show him the photo on my phone and I go "excuse me, is that you?" he then goes "yes it is, I am trying to get people to forget by not wearing glasses". He accepts my request for a photo op and I tell him that if it makes him feel any better I was seeking him out that's how I noticed him. 

Next objective, Edgar Wright. Since I did not have an autograph ticket I decide to try the panel. I go to the panel, and the audience is huge. They are going to show the first 5 minutes of Baby Driver and ask that no one records anything. They have like 20 security guards around to make sure no one records. Really? Sorry to say this Awesome Con but piracy has existed for decades long before even the Internet existed as it does today. Movies were being uploaded into Usenet binaries long before the Internet was anything close to mainstream. The movie will be pirated and the first 5 minutes of Baby Driver is but a spec if even that. One guard even yelled at me to put the camera down and I had the lens cap on! 

Thankfully after that footage showed most guards left which was good as I wanted to try and get my photo op with Edgar. When it finally ended I go to the rail, about 5 or so people waiting I ask for the photo op he goes "well..." and continues walking away. Bust!

So I join Joresky in the autograph line and I manage to score an autograph ticket! YES! That's a step in the right direction. Sadly it doesn't seem like they are allowing photo ops, but when we get there I manage to get him to pose though the guards said we can only take pictures from a certain distance. Sadly the photo op is a little blurry but I guess beggars can't be choosers at that point I'm happy to have a shot. I get a Baby Driver poster signed plus one extra item for our vendor buddies. 

Next up I decide to try and plead Whil Wheaton for a table op so I wouldn't have to come back the next day. While waiting I notice Edgar's line is pretty much dead and gone and they are having him sign extra posters. Tried calling Joresky but his phone was dead. I approach and ask for a photo op he goes "sure" and I manage to get a MUCH better shot. 

Get up to Whil, plead, but no dice. He tried to give some BS about the contract saying only pro ops and goes "I'll shake your hand". To make my time a little more worthwhile I finally decide to get a photo op with Felicia Day. Split the shot with someone via the switcharoo! Ended my time at Awesome Con by mooching a Catherine Tate photo op. They said no flash but of course I stayed silent and accepted it. 

Come back the next day, for that Whil Wheaton pro op. He's like "Oh wonderful you came back" and I got the photo op, which I split. Upon leaving Awesome Con one guy noticed Sam Ellis who is the character designer of the show Archer. Never heard of that show but got the free photo op and headed out. 

Edgar Wright

Whil Wheaton

Full list of Awesome Con photo ops

Baby Driver poster


No comments:

Post a Comment