Monday, November 27, 2017

Some scattered meets throughout November

Fresh off a WWE haul in early November I target Christopher Nolan. I got a photo op with him in the past so this was an autograph only mission. I heard no one saw him go in the first spot (assuming he snuck in) so I went to the second spot. Then I hear that people did get him leaving the first spot. Wow, PUNCH! 

He snuck in the second spot so now we had to wait for him to come out the second spot. Thankfully after a couple of hours I manage to get him to sign an over sized Batman display that I mooched from a department store back when Dark Knight Rises was out.

Autograph


Next up was a book signing for Hillary Clinton. I'd never try for her on a chance but since this was a guarantee and the $22 book was going for triple digits on ebay, this event was a must attend for me. They allowed one book per person and no photos. Since I have a perfect shot that was no issue for me. They had police, secret service, and metal detectors. She was signing books and putting them on another table. You picked up a book but not the one you saw get signed. One woman wanted to meet her but didn't care to buy the book. I proposed I buy the book and she goes through the line then give me the book, but she wanted no part of that scheme (It's like talking to a brick wall when dealing with people who don't do this sort of thing often). So I bought another book, went through the line again, and got another book (could have had a total of 3 books if this woman cooperated).

Signed Hillary books


Now to get into some first time photo op meets (my favorite kind). Went to a Diane Keaton book signing. Sadly the book was $70 and would likely be sold at a loss on ebay. So I tried the back of the book store but an employee was getting in my face trying to say that I can't stand here. Since I wanted to go in the signing as a last resort I couldn't go off on him. So I pointed out to a pap filming her then he left me and went in the pap's face. With this failure I went in the book store. Thankfully I found someone buying multiple books and asked to hold a book for him. I went through, got the photo op and two extras! She was nice as can be, even taking multiple shots and she was impressed that I got Pacino. Wow if only every book signing was that smooth I'd travel the country for them! She had a habit of doing invalid shots but I managed to get one where she is looking in. She was also feeling me up from behind, HCIT.

Photo op

Autographs


Next up was actor Denis Leary. In all his book signings he did photo ops, but sadly this one was written that it was not an actual signing. Just pre signed books and speech. Since it was $20 for a ticket to the speech and $30 for both a ticket and a pre signed book, I declared this event to be worthless. I also tried looking for any planes or trains for him but completely struck out. So I was forced to try outside after the event (had it been $30 for a full fledged signing I would have bit). There was a book signing in CT right after RICC that I could have gone to as a backup, but I wanted to avoid this like the plague (mostly due to the cold weather).

So I waited till after the show. There were a handful to people waiting. One guy said he wouldn't bother him if he were in a rush. But I laughed and said I'd bother him regardless. He came out and was nice as can be, signed and took photos. Even removing his glasses for the photo op. In hindsight I'm glad this event was not a signing as that would have been $30 wasted. And of course with that the CT event was completely flushed out of my calendar.

Since I was in town I figured I'd go for an autograph only mission in Hal Linden. He came out later than I expected but I was the only one there and he signed my 8x10s. I had no need for another photo op.

Photo op

Autographs


On a day in late November I got a huge punch as Steve Martin did photo ops at his NYC signing (it was written no photos). Feeling depressed I decided to venture for the band Chicago. I already have the lead singer and the drummer, I figured I'd go and see what else I can get from the band. Unfortunately the current line up features a plethora of scrubs and barely valids. There were 3 original members on tour, and by all reports, one is super nice, one is iffy, and one is super nasty

Wait for exits. There are barricades and fans on two sides. The barely valids and scrubs come out. I get one of them but our side doesn't call over the others because 1) we don't really know their names and 2) we don't want to be busy on one of them while missing our main targets.

First up is Robert Lamm. As expected he snubs everyone off and goes into the bus. Second is Lee Loughnane who is the only known nice guy. He waves at us, goes into the bus. Minutes later he comes out and takes care of everyone on both sides of the barricade. I get him on my vinyl already signed by drummer Danny Seraphine. 

Last one remaining is the iffy one, James Pankow. At that point the other side only has 2 people as most fans had left and of course us hardcore combo hunters remain. James comes out and with my vocal might I scream and plead to James. He comes over to our side and does photo ops for all of us but is so quick we don't even get a chance to ask for autos. He waves to the 2 fans on the other side of the barricade and goes into his bus. I now have photo ops with a total of 4 original members of Chicago including the lead singer. Not too shabby.

Chicago photo ops

Autograph


A couple of days later I decided to go for John de Lancie AKA Q from Star Trek and Brian George AKA Babu from Seinfeld. I chose a day when Modern English was playing. I already have Modern English but I figured why not get autos to make my evening more fruitful. As I later found out both venues are 1 minute apart by foot. When I drove down there and parked in front of one venue I was practically in front of the other venue. They were barely a block a part and I could literally stand across the street and watch both doors. Wow you rarely get luxuries like that in combo hunting. Usually you at least have to run a couple of blocks.

They were giving out parking tickets 10 minutes before free parking was in effect. So I quickly jumped in the driver's seat of my car as I waited for those 10 minutes to come and go. Also noticed that Haaz Sleiman was in the same event as Brian/John and he has both a wiki and an imdb with a slew of credits. Remembering my Kate Upton and Felicity Jones blunder I put him on the "to get" list. The John/George event let out first. They had a post show discussion. I mooched my way inside and didn't see any of the actors in the discussion. So I quickly went outside and almost immediately saw Haaz who was more than happy to do photo ops. John de Lancie then came out and seemed to begrudgingly and nastily do photo ops, even asking if we saw the play. Also he was clean shaven which judging by most photos I've seen on google images is not normally the case, including in con pictures that people pay for. Wow so I got a better product for free! Finally Brian George is out and is super nice. Sadly I didn't have anything to get signed by either one because I could find not find proper photos for either. Though good thing in the case of John as I firmly doubt he would have signed. He just wanted to get away from us.

While this couldn't have gone better, reports I heard after that were not so good. John was blowing off photo ops saying that he's "not here for that" and Brian was doing invalid shots.

Anyhow, after this success the Modern English venue let out. I tried to mooch inside but this was both impossible (guards on both entry and exit doors) and unnecessary (it was a bar and at that point they gave wristbands to anyone that entered). We found out that they were doing a m&g upstairs. Go upstairs and wait a few minutes and everyone starts coming through. I get two photos signed by everyone. I didn't need photo ops with any of the band members but I noticed that the lead singer was clean shaven so I upgraded my shot.

Overall a very rare successful and stress free evening combo hunting.

Photo ops

Autographs

No comments:

Post a Comment