Tuesday, March 13, 2018

An assortment of celebrity meets in February

First off is a rather ambitious endeavor, namely actress Jennifer Lawrence. I know she's not photo op friendly but as I've learnt the only guarantee in combo hunting is if you don't try you will wind up nothing. Also appearing was Hunger Games director Francis Lawrence so if I got nothing else I'd at least get this.

Arrive at the event and it's off to a bad start as I missed all entries by 5 minutes (Jennifer signed but didn't do photo ops). Later on I find out something incredible! Actor Joel Edgerton, a "common" name I always seem to miss, is attending this event! I was ecstatic as he's also a Star Wars name I need (he played Uncle Owen in Star Wars 2 & 3). 

Wait for exits and only see Joel Edgerton. I get a photo op and my time here is officially not a waste. Sadly I didn't see either Jennifer or Francis as they snuck out, most likely due to the crowd that formed after the audience let out.

But all is not lost, I know the next spot! And the next spot wasn't nearly as publicized! Arrive and it's just the usual handful of graphers (which was nice after the monstrous crowd). Sadly I missed Francis going in and Jennifer did nothing.

Wait for exits and we walk in the alleyway where the cars are stationed. One of the female workers of the event goes "where do you guys think you're going?" and one grapher tells her off by saying "it's a public alleyway". 

Jennifer goes in the car and signs via the car window where I get my auto. Francis shows up and denies me as he enters the car. I then go to the other side and beg him. As security tries to tell me to step away from the car he opens the car door, poses, and signs for me.

Go to the third spot for the evening (where they are dining). Wait for exits. Sadly Jennifer does nothing but I do get a second shot with Francis as I don't like my first shot. I didn't bother with the final spot for the evening, but I heard Jennifer signed again but denied photo ops.

Joel Edgerton

Francis Lawrence

Autographs


The next day I attempt for yet another ambitious goal, Steve Martin. I knew he wouldn't do photo ops but I thought how would I feel if people I knew went there and got the photo ops while I stayed home for the evening. So I figured I had to go. We wait and he finally comes out but denies all photo ops. I get an autograph.

Steve Martin autograph


A few days later I go for a name I met at Chiller, namely Steve Bauer from Scarface. Main reason I wanted him was because of the nice Al Pacino autograph I got on my Scarface laserdisc in 2017 (also signed by Oliver Stone). I figured since Pacino gave me a nice auto it'd be cool to add him to it. 

Arrive and wait at the event. He eventually came out to smoke and was nice as can be. The photo op is an upgrade because he is clean shaven here!

Photo op

Autographs


Next up is an art gallery event with lead singer of The Cars, Ric Ocasek. It was a 2 day event. Now I've tried for him before and failed as he's not the nicest guy so I thought to myself I better make sure to go the first day in case he gets soured up by the second day. Spoiler alert, my suspicion turned out to be true! The first day he did free combos even if you did NOT buy artwork that ranged from 2K to piercing the 5 figure line! (at those prices I obviously wanted to stay far away). The second day that was completely shut down and you had to buy artwork to meet him! To boot, the first day I saw someone who bought artwork get a stack of albums signed. The second day I heard they limited it to 2 albums per person if you DID buy art! Wow just wow!

Anyhow I arrive at the event, stood in line, and got a very smooth combo with Ric! Could not have been easier.

Now there was a show with Jeffrey Osborne. I have to admit I'm not familiar with his work but I heard he's doing a free signing after the show. Well I am already out, the show will end soon, and I don't have to wait outside for him. So I figured might as well pick up a photo op.

Arrive at the venue, mooch my way in, line up to meet him, and get the photo op. Nice and easy.

Ric Ocasek take 1

Ric Ocasek take 2

Ric Ocasek Autograph

Jeffrey Osborne


Next, the airport! I did not have one great flight, but several flights. One was Billy Ocean who I met but figured I could get autos, and the others were 3 political flights. Namely Elizabeth Warren, Ted Cruz, and Marco Rubio. I got Marco and Ted before but could use a Ted upgrade. Elizabeth I never got but I hear she could run for president. So I figured if I get her now I potentially save myself physical and emotional pain and suffering come 2020. To boot, these were coming in at around the same time so not much time would be dedicated.

As I arrive in town I receive word that actress Evan Rachel Wood is coming to town. So I immediately look for her flight and was jumping with joy when I scored it.The flight was slated to arrive a few hours after all the others, but I wasn't complaining. So now it was surely worth my while to drive in.

Everything didn't go according to plan. Some flights were delayed and some were coming in early. Elizabeth Warren's flight was early and didn't find that out till last minute so I rushed and as I arrived I saw her leave the gate. I got a combo no issue though. As I go to were Ted Cruz and Billy Ocean were coming out from I informed the other graphers that she is long gone after they stated they were walking over to get her. 

Ted Cruz exits. I upgrade my photo op and get autographs. Sadly, with Billy Ocean's flight being 30 minutes early and Marco Rubio's flight going through a 2h delay, this meant both were coming in at around the same time at opposite ends of the airport. Therefore we had to choose one or the other and everyone obviously chose Billy Ocean. He came through and was nice as can be. I get another photo op and autos.

Now I had some time to kill before Evan Rachael Wood. When it came time for her she signed a strict one per and did a photo op with me no problem. Other combo hunters hounded her for more autos but she did nothing more.

Evan Rachel Wood

Full list of photo ops

Autographs


And my final combo endeavor in February was the band Gin Blossoms. I was in the neighborhood for other reasons so it made sense to stop by and try for them. Other combo hunters arrive which was good cause I wouldn't be able to spot the band members by myself. At least one member blows us off as he goes in a car. But the lead singer Robin Wilson is spotted and is nice as can be. We never see the others so we assume they left.

Robin Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment