Sunday, August 25, 2013

I got a FRESH GRANT for a new SHOW

After some rest I set out for some meets on August 22. One was a street meet, one a signing, and one a concert. Sadly, for reasons unrelated to combos, I got no sleep the night before. So this was due to be a grueling day. 

I arrive at the first spot for Bill Cosby. I got him before but wanted to virgilize him. I was a bit early so I took this opportunity to take an hour's nap. When I woke up some photographers were already on site and I waited in a room inside hoping Cosby would come through, but he didn't and directly appeared outside  So now I had to wait for the speech to end. Sadly, it was going on and on and on. While Cosby was sitting a child asked for an autograph but he ignored. After the thing was over there were cops and crowds we tried asking him to sign but he's like "no autographs, no autographs". One guy begged him more and he goes "let me tell you something" the guy stops and listens then Cosby just walks away from him. I asked for a photo op he goes "go ahead". A police woman tried to hinder me but I said "he said go ahead" and I got it. I don't know if it counts as an upgrade over what I have, but it was something over nothing. He goes inside. We wait for him to come out where we try begging him for an autograph and he goes "I'm not signing and you're going to make me mad". From there I see it as a fruitless attempt. 

As I would later find out someone else tried as his hotel but he still didn't sign saying he doesn't sign anymore but insisted on doing a photo op and goes "isn't this better than an autograph"?

Bill Cosby photo op

This is my previous Cosby shot

Although I failed to get autographs, I was also happy I did not get any tickets given that there were tons of police enforcement everywhere and I stretched the legality of my free parking spot. Now it was off to the Bowie Baysox stadium for the Alfonso Ribeiro AKA Carlton Banks signing. 

Now I actually found his flight info, but his incoming was far away (due to another signing he had) and his outgoing was at 8AM, and I had no interest in getting up early to wait for him. So the best solution for me was to just go to his signing. It should be noted that they really gave him the  itinerary. Rather than have him fly to Los Angeles direct from Baltimore, they had him drive to DC and connect to Chicago (he could have even flown direct from DC but he didn't). Although he did sit first class all the way. And admission to the game was $11.50 for the worst seat. Not too bad considering I'm only there for combos.

Anyhow, the signing was still 6 hours off, but it made no economical sense to drive 1h home and then 1h 15 minutes to the signing. So I just drove 30 minutes from where I was. This also meant that I could catch some much needed sleep since I had time to kill. Turns out there's a Walmart close to the stadium! This meant a parking lot to park and sleep in and a free bathroom! To boot, this Walmart had a subway so I could actually get something to eat. I ate, then went to sleep for a few hours. I woke up all refreshed (though sweating even though I parked under a tree), used the bathroom to change clothes and take a crap, then drove to the baseball stadium. 

I enter the stadium, stand in line, and shortly after IVP Chris and Joresky arrive. I also see  who jokes that I'm here to see a baseball game and we both chuckle at that. And while standing in line, it was awesome to actually be waiting on a guarantee. It was refreshing knowing that I would 110% get a photo op, and most probably a combo. Wow what a nice feeling that was. Finally we arrive to Alfonso, and I get my photo op. Shortly after I whip out my 8x10 and ask for the autograph. He hesitates but does it (the rules were either an autograph or a photo op). I then went back in line and got a second photo signed. Hung out a little with Joresky and IVP Chris, and we all left shortly after. 

Alfonso Ribeiro photo op

Next up I attempt to meet Amy Grant, who in my opinion is a million fold a more talented singer than any of the current pop singers. Just listen to her voice: 



So I get to the venue, and I have time for some McDonalds. I wait it out and she is about to enter her bus! No, no no! I start calling her over, and she approaches waving at us saying she has no time and they have to leave town. I essentially call out to her and beg/plead for a photo op till she breaks down! She comes over and says "well ok only if I can leave when the bus driver says so"! Victory was mine, she does a photo op! Then proceeds to sign and do photo ops with others. But then I realize my photo op isn't ideal cause part of her face was behind me  So I say it's blurry and ask for a retake which she says she will do. As she's going through the crowd she also asked me where I was from and that she never heard an accent like mine before, HCIT. As she comes back to me I get her to sign my vinyl and we do a second take  She asks if she can use my sharpie to sign which I of course agree to. She signs a bit more including my 8x10! She then leaves saying she had to go. She hands me her sharpie as one other person called her over to sign one more but she continues to walk away. I of course thank her as she leaves. This was a smashing success because most people were lucky to get a single combo, and some got nothing. I got TWO combos! In fact I was the only one to get more than one item signed. I don't think she took care of more than 7-10 people. Maybe she took a liking to me to some degree, who knows  Plus I do credit myself for bringing her over (so other people benefited from what I did). 




Aside from not getting Bill Cosby autographs, I'd say this day went pretty damn well. After getting Amy Grant I went home and relaxed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment