Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Steel City Con - The miracle appearance

Steel City Con doesn't usually have too many names for me and I often end up skipping it. But this time they added Nancy Cartwright AKA Bart Simpson. So there was one big name, there was Lance Reddick, and there were a handful of "maybe" names. I decided I would drag myself to this show. 

Then Lance Reddick died. Typical to what happens to me at cons. I need such few names and for one reason or another a name I want gets taken off the list. So now I was down to one name. A big name, but just one name nonetheless. 

Then the unusual happens. In fact it probably never happened in the last 10-15 years. Names I actually NEEDED started being added last minute. Usually names I want drop off last minute, not added (and names that do get added last minute are never names I need). 

First off, the elusive Randy Quaid, but of course no one believed he would show. But at least it gave me hope. With the addition of Quaid, Steel City is upgraded from "whatever, I'll go" to "OMG now I have to go". Then not only did Quaid actually show up there, but they added ANOTHER name I needed, Miriam Flynn for Saturday only. I missed Steel City in Spring 2022 which was her first con, so I was ecstatic to make that up!

I drive half the way, and carpool the other half with markedout board member CMShowstopper. 

I start the show by juggling lines. I wait in the Nancy line then get Randy Quaid. Plus he was not wearing a beanie like he did Friday so he looks a little more like him. Sucks he has a beard but at least it's still him. If somehow he does another con with no beard I'll get an upgrade. One silver lining about mask ops being a thing, beards seem like less of a thing to complain about. 

Then went to Miriam Flynn. They moved her table to the hallway I assume because of whatever feud she and Randy have. Then finally got Nancy after waiting in line for a while. I was in the cash line and for whatever reason they weren't taking people in the cash line and  only letting through those in the pre order line. I can understand giving them priority, but at least let in a couple of cash people after 5-10 pre order people. SMH.

I decided to skip people on my "maybe" list due to lack of splits, but I did one thing which is probably not the wisest financially speaking. I had two Jesse Ventura figures which were signed horribly in the past. I removed the ink and had him redo them. By MIRACLE I found two people to split a combo price with me. So I did save a little at least. The way I thought of it, I regretted not getting the rest of my Ultimate Warrior and Dusty Rhodes figures done, I don't want to regret not getting Jesse Ventura figures done. Plus he was cheaper here than at wrestling cons between that and his age it was basically now or never.

Randy Quaid

Miriam Flynn

Nancy Cartwright

Autographs

No comments:

Post a Comment