Saturday, November 24, 2018

Pre Chiller Theater Celebrity meets

Prior to Chiller Theater I would embark on several celebrity meets. The first attempt is the elusive Rick Moranis, from classic movies such as Ghostbusters, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Spaceballs, and more. This guy rarely does stuff but this time was doing a con in Texas. This means he was flying commercial within the USA! So I took it upon myself to find his flight. And SCORE! So me and go to the airport and wait. Finally it's the witching hour and we score photo ops! VICTORY! Then I go after him and attempt to plead for an autograph while him and his girl ask me several questions including how I happen to be at the airport with a Ghostbusters laserdisc. After lots of improvising answers he signs one for me and one for Greg! I now consider my Ghostbusters laserdisc complete as the only other person I'd add is dead (Harold Ramis). This combo is like a $300 convention value!

Wow, the combo Gods can work in strange ways sometimes. A few years ago I was mooching scrubs at Chiller with and we received word of a Rick Moranis event in NYC but didn't act upon it. Turns out it was taking place that very evening and he did combos for the handful of people waiting. I was beside myself the whole weekend and we were talking about how great it would have been to enter Chiller with such a huge name in our cameras. Now, I will now be entering Chiller with Rick Moranis in my camera 

To boot this worked out even better as before I wouldn't have had my laserdisc on hand.

It's now time for NYC. I arrive in time to try for legendary singer Andrea Bocelli. Arrive at the spot and sadly he goes to his car. Four of us (myself, Vanessa and friend, and NYC combo hunter Josh) run after his car. I scream at him for a photo op. He taps on the window. At first we think he's tapping to tell us to go away, but he taps again and clearly signals for us to come over. By some miracle he starts doing car shots! This marks my third photo op with a blind celebrity (Stevie Wonder and Jose Feliciano). It's not the best shot in the world but I'll take it.

Go to another spot where Woody Ellen is inside. Sadly never see him so he must have snuk out. But this spot was not for nothing. I upgraded Mary-Louise Parker and Josh Charles photo ops. First time op with director/writer Kenneth Lonergan. Got Lucas Hedges (update) and Stephen Henderson (slight upgrade). Sadly I tried to upgrade Casey Affleck as he has a horrid beard in my shot, but while he agreed to pose I again ran into a problem I faced with him in the past where he doesn't give out valid shots.

Head on to the next spot to make up my past failure on Glenn Fitzgerald (Sixth Sense) and actress Edie Falco, this time scoring them and getting Edie to sign a program.

I run to try for actress Megalyn Echikunwoke again. On my way I see a guy pushing a cart labeled "anti Trump bandwagon" selling all sorts of anti Trump merch. I raised my right arm, did the Roman salute, and shouted "Hail Trump" as I continued to the Magalyn spot. Sadly I never saw her. Also, by that point Stockard Channing shut down all combos completely.

Next spot, actress Janet McTeer. She came out not too long after I started waiting and was super nice. I got her before but this is a bit of an upgrade. Then the final spot for the evening for Mercedes Ruehl (The Fisher King, Last Action Hero). Got a bunch of barely valids then she finally came out and was nice. Also got another shot with Micahel Urie. Director Harvey Fierstein came out, signed, but wouldn't do a photo with me (tho I got him before).

Called it a night and parked. Woke up the next day and I figured might as well get a signed Roger Daltrey book. He was so brutal when it comes to cameras. This place is also a place of horrors as this was the location of the disastrous Sarah Michelle Gellar book signing.

After this went to a Sandra Bullock spot. I knew there was little to no chance of that happening but it was literally on the way back to my car. Going in she signed a little and leaving she did nothing. But this spot wasn't a total waste as I got first time shot with actor Trevante Rhodes (The Predator).

With that, I got my car, Vanessa hopped in my car, and we would leave NYC for Chiller.


Rick Moranis

Andrea Bocelli

Full list of pre Chiller ops part 1

Full list of pre Chiller ops part 2


Now some autographs

Roger Daltrey book


Ghostbusters laserdisc

Rick signed it right underneath Ernie Hudson.

I declare this laserdisc "complete". Here is the list of people that signed the LD

Bill Murray 
Dan Aykroyd
Sigourney Weaver
Rick Moranis
Ernie Hudson
Annie Potts
William Atherton
Ray Parker, Jr
Ivan Reitman (director)
Bill Bryan (he wore the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man suit)

No comments:

Post a Comment