Thursday, November 29, 2018

Some scattered airport meets in November

In November my combo activity was at a low, for various reasons. I was worn out from a high activity October, I wanted to save money, the cold of November was another deterrent, among other reasons. So I only did a few quick airport meets (indoor and you have exact times, both luxuries when it comes to combo hunting).

First up, Florian Manteanu of Creed 2 fame and the movie's director. Both were very nice about combos though Florian didn't want to sign too many.

Florian Munteanu

Steven Caple Jr

Autographs



Next up a day where I had two targets. One of them I mainly wanted the photo op, one of them I mainly wanted autographs. Sadly this day would not work out my way as I would get the autographs where I wanted the photo op, and the photo op where I wanted the autograph.

First up, actor Christoph Waltz. I waited and he shows up. I ask if I could get a photo op he goes "not really". Then I ask for autographs he goes "oh, sure". Signed my photos no issue but when I pleaded more for a photo op he goes "I avoid pictures".

After this failure, I salvaged my drive to this spot by going a further 20 minutes away and got photo ops with the Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson statues that were huge news topics in 2017.  

Later in the day I would go for someone that is sort of a 9/11 name. He is Pete Souza, the photographer of both Reagan and Obama. His most famous photo is the Situation Room picture where the killing of Osama Bin Laden is being viewed. My primary objective was to get that photo signed in order to make some money.

When I met him first he denied he was him. Then after I try again he said he would shake my hand, tried to say he doesn't sign prints and he would sign his books if I had books. I had to pull teeth to convince him to do the photo op with me just so I wouldn't leave empty handed.

Christoph Waltz autographs

Pete Souza


Next up, singer Petula Clark known for the hit song "Downtown". Going into the venue I asked for a photo op she said "not right now". Waited at the venue after the show. They began kicking out the crowd saying she won't stop, but a few of us lingered in semi hiding. Then when she came out I was hoping some of the other people that lingered would call for her so I could jump in, but sadly they didn't. That was my big mistake. She got on the bus and all we got was send ins.

My problem here I wasn't aggressive enough. Because I was afraid to be as the venue parking lot is on private property. 

Petula Clark Autograph



Been a while since I got a combo with a space related name. This one is Gene Kranza. He was the flight director for both Apollo 11 and the infamous Apollo 13 (Ed Harris played him in the movie). He was super nice about photo ops but bitched about signing. I had to plead for a second by pointing out another guy got 3, but he did it, though he signed the second one different than the first. 

Gene Kranz

Autographs

No comments:

Post a Comment