Thursday, November 24, 2022

November cons: Rhode Island Comic Con and Monstermania

Rhode Island Comic Con had such a monster line up. When they added Elisabeth Shue, that sold me. She is a name I missed in NYC and she is the last name I still need from Back to the Future (she played Jennifer McFly in the second and third one). My other top name there was Jason Lee from Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Unfortunately, like Chiller I had to weed out a lot of "maybe" names due to lack of splits. I had 12 names on my main list and got them all. I had 21 names on my maybe list, but I only got 4 of them. 

One great thing about RICC in 2022, the weather was good. Every time I've been to Providence for RICC it was freezing cold. So I would always park in the garage by the venue and sleep there the night before I attend. This would set me back $20 on parking. It is $12 if you park there up to 12h (plenty of time to finish up with the con) but since I arrive the night before and need to somewhat shield myself from the elements when it's cold weather, parking is $20 since I'm there longer. But this time I parked in a residential neighborhood for free and slept there. When I woke up, I walked 20 minutes to the venue! In a world where money is drained from you on every corner, it always feels good to save money somewhere.

As I enter I go to artist's alley and get a free photo op with Batman artist Pat Broderick. I then meet up with markedout's Greg2600 and most of my splits would be with him. 

First up, puppeteer Simon Williamson. He worked on many older Muppet movies but is probably best known for Max Rebo in Return of the Jedi. Always cool to add another name from the Original Star Wars Trilogy. That's almost non existent for me at this point as pretty much everyone from the OT I either met or is dead (or both). Then I get Bruce Reitherman AKA Mowgli from the original Jungle Book. Another older Disney voice actor to my collection, also rare. 

Then actor Jake Abel from I Am Number Four and Percy Jackson. And child actor Grant Feely AKA Luke Skywalker in Obi Wan. Then suit actor Carey Jones from Mandalorian and Predators, followed by Mitchell Whitfield from Friends and My Cousin Vinny. 

After this I go check out the names in the arena and I find out that neither Elisabeth Shue or Jason Lee are doing table ops, which sadly means I am now stuck getting the pro ops. I go back to the original building and seek out the creator and artist of Eddie from Iron Maiden, Derek Riggs! I got the photo op for free. He was doing a singing in Pennsylvania and I'm such a huge Iron Maiden fan I was actually thinking of doing it, but decided against it with everything going on. So to have him here in RICC where I already am and to get the photo op for free? What a treat! He was selling his book for $80 and he would sign and sketch it. It was very tempting to buy that. But sadly ops are the priority for me so I couldn't be spending on this.

Then I get actress Gigi Edgley and go back to the arena to get my sole want from that area, Asher Angel from Shazam who finally returned to this table. 

Then it's time for the Elizabeth Shue pro op which was fairly smooth, and after that knocked out Doug E Doug, Rawle D Lewis, Malik Yoba, and Leon from Cool Runnings. 

Ended my time at RICC with actors Mark Sheppard and Joivan Wade, and the pro op with Jason Lee. Jason's pro op was quite the long wait and I split that with markedout's Woodmo.

Elisabeth Shue

Jason Lee

Full list of RICC photo ops


Monstermania in Oaks had very few wants for me. I would not have event attended if not for the addition of Marley Shelton. First person I get is Bradley Gregg from Nightmare on Elm Street 3. Then Robyn Lively from Karate Kid 3 and Twin Peaks. She was being so friendly and nice to everyone. Also get Michael Bailey Smith AKA Super Freddy and also from Charmed.

I then get Ashley Bank from Monster Squad, the only Monster Squad name from this con that I needed. And I finally get Brooke Bundy (Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and 4) who was sitting by herself most of the time. 

Ended my time in Oaks with Marley Shelton (Scream 4, Rampage) who was friendly.

Marley Shelton

Full list of Monstermania photo ops

No comments:

Post a Comment