Thursday, July 20, 2023

Scattered meets throughout June part 1

In early June I would go for actress Jennifer Garner. I met her before but since it was an easy flight by me I thought why not get some autos. She was nice but a strict one per. I got a 13 year update photo op.

Jennifer Garner

Autograph


Next up, after my multi day NYC haul at the festivities of films (already reported), I drove from NYC to Philadelphia to try for singer Chubby Checker. He is best known for The Twist and the Limbo Rock. I wait and finally see him sitting down. I go up to him he goes "don't go taking a picture of me". I explain to him what I want but he says he doesn't want to "draw attention". I say I'll wait till he boards but he wants no part of it. Not wanting to give up, I wait till he boards. I then go up and plead my case again. He goes "what do you want?" and I explain again. I try to take a selfie but he says to let someone take it. I choose a random person, an older man. I was afraid he would screw up the op but it came out perfect. Success! 

As he lined up I tried to ask for an autograph but he declined. At that point I thanked him and left. I mooched some breakfast and headed home after 5 long days.

Chubby Checker


There was a spot for the cast of the TV show flaming hot. So I went for them to see what could be had. While waiting at the spot director/writer Gina Prince-Bythewood is spotted and does ops. Then I see actor Bobby Soto and get an op. Then Annie Gonzalez whom I recently saw in NYC. On exit I get yet again Eva Longoria, this time a standing full body shot. I guess that's an upgrade over my previous two ops. And I get an upgrade with actor Jesse Garcia.

Unfortunately I never saw child actor Brice Gonzalez who must have left through another exit. And I would later find out that actress Chloe Bridges was there, but no one spotted her. PUNCH!

Full list of photo ops


Next up was an event with mostly people I never heard of. But I wanted singer and actress Michelle Williams (the black one, not the white actress whom I already have).

First I get a singer named Bilal. Then decided to stand at another place to see the artists where I got Cory Henry. At this point nothing was being had so we all waited for exists/returns. First singer Emily King comes and is nice. Then Joshua Henry and finally Michelle Williams show up. Michelle barely wanted to stop and almost wanted to do group ops, but ended up being semi nice and I got the combo. Sucess! The night ended with singer Luke James.

Michelle Williams

Autograph

Full list of photo ops


On a day I had a flight for actor Eriq La Salle (from the original Coming to America) and the Isley Brothers, both different airports. First one for Eriq. Sadly he is a complete dick and wanted no part of this. Wouldn't do autos, wouldn't do ops. The mind baffles because not like this guy would get recognized everywhere he goes. Then it was off to the next flight. 

Before the flight went to a nearby signing for MMA star Max Holloway. I wasn't planning to get him myself since I didn't want to pay. But his wife is apparently a pro surfer names Alessa Quizon so I got the free op. Then to the nearby airport for the Isley Brothers. I met Ron before but needed Ernie plus autos from both. Sadly Ron (who was in a wheelchair) was having none of it, and Ernie was barely accepting to do ops. I guess this wasn't a complete bust since I got the op from the one I needed. 

Alessa Quizon

Ernie Isley


Next up, awesome con. I only needed two names, Mandip Gill and Jodie Whittaker. Sadly Jodie was pro only and I had no splitter. So I just split a table op of Mandip Gill. Otherwise I just get ops with some of the artists, some were repeats some were fresh. I was happy to get artist Tom Fleming who worked on some of the early 90s WWE PPV posters because at the previous con I saw him at he didn't take the mask op. 

Mandip Gill

Full list of photo ops


Next up, I went to a venue for the Happy Together tour. The line up for this tour is this:

Turtles: Mark Volman the only original member, but Ron Dante of the Archies (Sugar Sugar) is subbing for lead vocals. I have both.

Little Anthony and the Imperials: Jerome "Little Anthony" Gourdine, no other originals. Need Anthony.

Gary Puckett & The Union Gap: Only Gary, have him.

Vogues: no originals, so nothing to worry about.

Classic IV: no originals, so nothing to worry about.

Cowsills: 3 members, all original. Mooched a group op at Chiller

Joey Molland: Guitarist of the core line up of the band Badfinger. Have him.

So I had almost everyone that there was to be had but I didn't have Little Anthony. So I went to try and meet him. After it let out, I went to where the singers come out. Saw Mark Colman go in a bus, saw other people out and about. 

There was a woman who wanted to meet the Cowsills. She was so desperate to meet them. One of them (Bob) came over and she was so excited. Her phone was fumbling. I said I'd do it with my camera. I called her phone, and she texted me her info. Bob eventually called the other two to come over, and she got an op with the girl and a group op with all 3. It was a "dream come true" as she put it. I also got ops with them all and also got another op with Gary Puckett.

She said to please send them, and she'd give me $100 if I sent my address to her. She asked if that was ok and I of course said yea that'd be great. She left and not long after it seemed like all hope was lost for Little Anthony as he went to the bus and didn't come over when I called him. But then he just walked out the alley way and I got the op. Super nice guy.

Then the woman texted me and said if I come to her house I can pick up the cash. I of course said yes. I drove there and went to her apartment. She gave me her card and said I could go to the 7-11 and withdraw cash. She even gave me her pin number. "I trust you" as she put it. I went and got the $100 out (the receipt said balance $411). Went back to her apartment and gave her back her card. Have to admit I felt a tad bad taking $100 when I saw the balance. But she did offer it and not every day you get such an offer.

Little Anthony

Full list of photo ops


The next day I would go to another music venue for Justin Hayward, lead singer of The Moody Blues. I haven't heard good things so I was very nervous going for him. After the show we waited outside and a lady comes up to us and takes our items to get signed. She goes inside and later they come back signed. She is saying that he probably won't have time for ops as did another guy that was with him. But I of course ignored these claims and waited more. Eventually he comes out and I ask for the op and he agrees! Sucess! 

Justin Hayward

Autograph

No comments:

Post a Comment