Thursday, November 12, 2015

The week of New York Comic Con 2015 Part 1

Fresh off the Clint Eastwood success of the night before (see previous post), it was now time for NYCC week. 

Thursday

The day starts out at NYCC. I stand in line for Grumpy Cat as I wait for 

He finally joins me. I also see . Unfortunately they are charging $10 for a Grumpy Cat comic book which allows you to get a photo op. But I device a trick to save money. I paid $5 to so I can use his comic book to get my Grumpy Cat photo op. And it works. Rather have the $5 than the comic book.

Me and Joresky then split a photo op with Keisha Castle-Hughes. Unfortunately we didn't realize she was doing table ops We then go into the Final Girls panel and get photo ops with with director Todd Strauss-Schulson and actress Malin Akerman. We then split a photo op with Natalie Dormer. After that Joresky noticed that Twilight author Stephenie Meyer was doing a signing! WTF! So we get a book and get a combo with her. 

We then get a tip for a Kristen Stewart spot. But unfortunately we arrive there it is too late and she is gone 

We head back to NYCC where we go to the Banshee panel. Eliza Dushku was there but didn't need a shot with her. I got Frankie Faison and other names from the show. 

We leave NYCC. Due to bad luck from the prior evening we chose this "easy" spots instead of a Sarah Michelle Gellar spot. In hindsight that was a bad move because she did perfect combos. On our way Joresky spots Chandler Riggs and I get an updated photo op with him. 

Next up is Clive Owen. I manage to get a full combo from him and photo ops from others. Then a spot for actress Marlee Matlin. Already had a photo op but wanted to improve it. Got a combo from her and photo ops with others. 

We then went to a spot where we thought Sarah Michelle Gellar would be but it was a dud. Then to another spot where we got some Walking Dead names. I also got some info from a Master combo hunter that would help us know when to wait for Sarah Michelle Gellar. This ended the evening. 

Thursday NYCC photo ops

Thursday post NYCC photo ops

Clive Owen

Stephanie Moyer

Natalie Dormer


Friday

The day starts off at a spot for Sarah Michelle Gellar. Thanks to info fished out the night before we had a time frame for when she would come out. While waiting we saw some randoms. Among other things I upgraded my photo op with Clare Grant. Rapper Nelly came out but did nothing for no one. We also saw Kevin Eastman but I have enough photo ops with him so I didn't bother. Finally Sarah Michelle comes out and unfortunately but not surprisingly she is wearing shades and a hat. She says she would do one photo op per person but refuses autographs. 

On our way to NYCC lo and behold a billboard that had an advertisement for a celebrity appearance at Macys on Sunday to meet actor Levi Miller (Peter Pan in Pan). SCORE! 

At NYCC with a little bit of money I managed to score from autograph tickets for the Ash vs Evil Dead signing the next day. A good start. 

I then mooch into a signing and get combos with DJ Qualls, Joel de la Fuente, and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. Then off to a spot for the cast of Limitless, Elementary, Mr Robot, and Colony. We meet up with all of 

While waiting it was fun to chat and BS. Scored a lot of names in that spot, most notably an upgrade with Christian Slater. I got a downgrade with Lucy Lui as she is wearing shades. Other names I got include Josh Holloway, Rami Malek, Jennifer Carpenter, John Noble, and others. 

Back to the main con I split a Nathan Fillion photo op with  (originally was supposed to be with )


Then we go in a panel and I get DJ Qualls again but this time have him sign my 8x10. Also get Frank Spotnitz. We then got info for Kristen Stewart yet again but due to rain we stalled and got author Terry Brooks and actress Poppy Drayton. Manu Bennett was there but had him already. This was a fatal mistake cause she was gone by the time we got there. 

A Master combo hunter then gave us Brian Wilson info on condition that we help him with autographs. Brian Wilson would be a huge score so we agree. We go there and literally miss him by a minute wow what horrid horrid luck! But all is not lost as I get an Al Jardine photo op. Of all living significant Beach Boys I now have 3 of 4. 

In an attempt to salvage the evening me and Joresky head to a spot to see if we find some randoms. We get Arielle Kebbe and James DeBello. But wait, we over hear people saying Mike Myers in at the bar! Wow how incredibly epic! An evening where we lost big names and the combo Gods gave us a huge one! I quickly go to the random stash in my car and get my Austin Powers 2 and 3 DVDs. We wait and lo and behold, he is there! We get photo ops. Unfortunately our hearts were crushed as he covered part of his face with his arm. He did the same thing with all photo ops he took at that spot. Joresky even tried asking for another shot and told him why and he goes "you're ok". I then had him sign my DVDs and he goes "oh you're prepared" 

Here we were having a sub par day at best and by sheer random miracle we stumble upon a spot where Mike Myers simply decided to have a drink on a Friday night. And when he agreed to pose it was beyond epic or so we thought. We thought we were so lucky our evening turned around and we would have another Clint Eastwood type miracle. 

But this feeling of epicness was swiftly crushed as it quickly turned to a punch in the face. Wow was a crushing blow that was to us. I was the one that took Joresky's picture before he took mine, and I saw what he did, my heart just cracked and broke right there. 

While getting that shot (and me getting my 2 DVDs signed) was not a bust, the epicness  was taken away as it turned into yet another "average" score. 

I guess it's the same feeling of thinking you won the 100K jackpot but then you're told it was an error and you only won 1K. Still happy to get the 1K, don't get me wrong. But quite a punch in the face when you initially thought you stumbled upon 100K by sheer luck.

Friday Pre NYCC photo ops

Friday NYCC photo ops part 1

Friday NYCC photo ops part 2

Friday post NYCC photo ops

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Christian Slater

DJ Qualls

Al Jardine

Mike Myers

Stay tuned for part 2 of NYCC (Saturday and Sunday) in addition to the full list of autographs obtained in those four days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment