Thursday, November 10, 2016

Some scattered meets in October and November

In mid October I went to an event where any randoms could show up. So I had no items on me and hoped for the best. While waiting some names began to leak so I was able to know who I'm looking for. First sighting is John Turturro from Transformers, The Big Lebowski, and more. That is a name I once missed at NYCC so it was awesome to make that up! He was nice as can be and did photo ops. 

Next was another half decent name in Italian actor and director Roberto Benigni. I enjoyed him in Son of the Pink Panther. Unfortunately he is rushing in and not trying to stop. I get a photo op where he's looking at me. James Taylor comes in and is his usual friendly self. I get another photo op with him, which may be my best James Taylor photo op I ever got. 

Now I could have waited 3 or 4 hours to hopefully see Roberto again and hope he is accomodating in order to improve my photo op. But I chose to go home. In hindsight that may have been a bad move because when he came out he was nice as can be and did proper photo ops for all waiting. Quite the PUNCH. 

John Turturro

Roberto Benigni

James Taylor



The day prior to my Mel Gibson score I went to the airport for the director of Rocky and Karate Kid, John G. Avildsen. Ask for a photo op and he goes "no thank you" but then we talk him into signing and then he finally accepts to do photo ops! Success.



Sadly I screwed up on the 8x10. It's from a movie he directed but he's not actually on the 8x10. Incorrect. 



Early November I attend a book signing for actress Jane Alexander. She made a speech first then after the speech a fraction of the crowd lined up at her table. One guy had two books so I asked if I could get his book signed for him so I could just get the photo op. He agreed. I go up to her, she signs, and I get the photo op. Quick, easy, and painless (for a change). 

Photo op


The next day it is time for Faerie Con. I pick up and we head over there. I enter the con and find both Wendy Froud and her son Toby at their table. Toby was baby Toby in The Labyrinth, and his parents created the goblins in the movie. They also did other work for Jim Henson movies. Sadly Toby's dad had to cancel the con. But I get both Wendy and Toby on my blu ray digi book of Labyrinth and get Toby to sign other photos. I also get photo ops. 

Then I go to a panel. That panel has Wendy, Toby, and Jim Henson's daughter Cheryl Henson. Cheryl did lots of work for Jim Henson movies so she is valid. I get a photo op. Technically it would have been correct to get her on Labyrinth items but I felt her role for that movie was too minor to warrant getting her to sign them. 

With this done I go to a book signing for author Holly Black at the same event. She is the author of Spiderwick Chronicles which was made into a movie. I tried for her once at Bookcon in NYC but it was so chaotic I barely got the photo op and was not able to get my extras signed. So this way my chance to make that up. Thankfully I didn't have to buy the overpriced books they were selling at the table since I had the books of own (which I bought for like $1 when I hoped to get her at bookcon). She thanked me for bringing those books and signed them. I asked for a photo op and she was happy to oblige. 

Full list of Faerie Con photo ops

Signed 8x10s

Blu ray digibook

Signed books

This ended my time at this con. I then dropped Joresky home and proceeded to an event for Mike Pence (this was saturday before election night). Sadly I arrived a little late and people were already going in. The line was HUGE. If I stood at the back of the line I would have zero chance at the photo op. So I casually and successfully mooched my way into the front of the line. 

Got in, went through security, then took my spot. Sadly the spot was third row. Much MUCH better than all the way back if I had followed the rules, but still not very good. So I wait some more and one guy in front of me decides to leave. I pray to the combo Gods that he decided to leave leave as opposed to going to the bathroom and returning and thankfully he never came back 



YES so now I'm second row! I have a good shot. Then I get a second blessing from the combo Gods. Next to me as a guy on a wheelchair who is in his 50s. I befriend him, show him my Donald Trump photo ops, show him other celebrity photo ops, and even offer to take his Mike Pence photo op. After all being allied with someone in a wheelchair can do nothing but increase my chances. 

Speech after speech, Pence begins. Since I am in good view of Pence I of course make sure I visibly clap and cheer. I also started chants! Namely "build the wall" and "drain the swamp" chants (who said wrestling is useless!)

When the witching hour finally arrives, I have my newly found buddy ask him for the photo op. I let one of Pence's aids know that I'm taking his picture then getting a selfie. He gets his photo op then I ask for the selfie and SCORE! 


The best part about this, unlike other events of this kind it was not life draining and I only dedicated 40% of the time I normally would. I guess one reason is because I arrived late and mooched as opposed to arriving early but also because I would normally target presidents or presidential candidates. Here it was a VP candidate.  

Three days later this would be the next Vice President! 

Photo op

No comments:

Post a Comment