Friday, November 21, 2014

New York Comic Con week 2014 report part 2

This report begins with the first day we attend NYCC

Friday

This day begins at NYCC, or as some have called it, panel con. Despite its nature we still manage to extract some good fruits out of that event. 

The top want for the day is Lucy Lawless AKA Xena: Warrior Princess. She is not going to be at her booth till later, so we worry about other things. We attend the panel for the movie "Young Ones". The celebrities who were here for Young Ones included Nicholas Hoult, Michael Shannon, Kodi Smit-McPhee and director Jake Paltrow. The goal was combos with everyone except Hoult who I only needed on the poster they gave out for free. 

The panel ends, shit hits the fan and everyone rushes to the stage. I manage to get Michael Shannon to sign both the poster and the Man of Steel magazine that I have. Unfortunately in the chaos ink smudged in the page, but the autograph is unaffected. I got Kodi combo, Jake combo, and as they were being rushed I manage to plead for a Shannon photo op and a Hoult autograph. I'm happy with the Michael Shannon upgrade because he was wearing a hat covering most of his head in my shot. This wasn't easy and was chaotic so I'm fortunate to have done as well as I did. A good start to NYCC. 

I then rush to the Epic photo ops are to get my Jennifer Morrison shot. Next up me and Joresky attend a free signing of The Librarians. The cast included Rebecca Romijn, Christian Kane, John Kim and Lindy Booth. I needed extra autographs from Rebecca and combos with the rest. Unfortunately they started cracking down on photo ops and extras as we were approaching the line, so sacrifices had to be made. We wanted a Christian Kane photo op the most. So we chose to sacrifice the Rebecca extras and Lindy Booth photo op. We got the autographs from Rebecca and Lindy (on the photo they provided) then we got to Christian and got the full combo no issue. Then snagged a full combo with John Kim just because.  

After this the next series of photo ops I got were Karl Urban, Stephen Amell, Manu Benette, Lucy Lawless, and former Ramones drummer Marky Ramone. 

When I went to the Stephen Amell photo op line to try and find somebody to split with me. I go down the line and find someone willing to do it. This is actually the second time ever I find a total stranger to agree to split with me, and most people are afraid to do it for whatever reason. But it gets even weirder. This guy didn't want my payment. 


After me and Joresky got the Lucy Lawless photo op he then left to an event that had music names I either had or had no interest in. So I stayed in NYCC in an attempt to get Michael Keaton and Ed Norton at their panels. As the panel was going on, I used a lot of stealth to mooch my way into that room. I got in, victory! Unfortunately this effort would be for nothing because as soon as the panel ended they bolted out  I then grabbed some free Birdman posters, and this ended my time at NYCC for Friday. 

I went to the next spot where I was hoping to see Channing Tatum, Sienna Miller, and other actors. Unfortunately when I arrive the spot seems to have already peaked. But I saw someone taking photo ops and I had no idea who it was at the time. He was super friendly and I got a shot. It turned out to be a decent score, director Spike Jonze. 

On to the other side of the building where stars were exiting. There was a crowd. I then see Vanessa and two of NYC's top graphers rush car. I'm invited to join them. I figure I can't go wrong in a car with an entourage of that caliber. But to show you how there are no rules when it comes to this, even they fucked up and it was a total dud. Had I stayed put where I was I would have had a photo op or two. Wow what a bust. In terms of tactics I made what seemed like a good decision, stick with the best. But in hindsight I should have stayed put. Also goes to show you how unpredictable and volatile combo hunting is, even the best of the best have bad moments. 

After more barren time I decide to join Joresky to get Duff McKagan. I had him already but wanted an upgrade shot plus an autograph. Unfortunately traffic hinders me and I arrive too late. I pick up Joresky and we go to the final spot for the evening. As soon as we arrive we see 
Sienna Miller but unfortunately she says on the way out. 

Upon more waiting Steve Carrel comes up and I get an upgrade shot with him (he has a cap in my shot).

After I learnt that Bradley Cooper is in the building I rush to my car to get the photos I have randomly in my car. Unfortunately as I arrive Bradley is signing and I miss that chance to complete my combo with him. Bradley Cooper autographs is something I can never seem to score for whatever reason. I also missed Mark Ruffalo leaving but I have a photo op with him and had nothing on me so I missed nothing on that front. I then quickly snag a Sienna Miller photo op as kept her word and did photo ops. 

Lots of ups and downs for the day, but overall I would say success! 

Karl Urban (Star Trek, Dredd, among others)

Jennifer Morrison (Once Upon a Time)

Lucy Lawless AKA Xena: Warrior Princess

Stephen Amell AKA Oliver Queen/The Arrow

Former drummer of the Ramones, Marky Ramone (I Wanna Be Sedated)

Michael Shannon (General Zod in Man of Steel)

Sienna Miller (GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra)

Steve Carrell (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Despicable Me 1&2, Dinner for Schmucks, among others)

Full list of Friday photo ops part 1

Full list of Friday photo ops part 2

Friday autographs



Saturday

Back to NYCC. This day we would be joined at NYCC by Vanessa. Joresky won free autograph tickets for Robot Chicken and Rick and Morty. But sadly I won neither one. 

I also go to the Marvel booth to try and win tickets to the Daredevil signing, but sadly I didn't get a winning ticket. I won some sort of lame prize like a discount ticket to some merch, but I gave that away to someone who has seemingly happy to get it. 

After he picked up his tickets we got a photo op with Gillian Anderson. Already had her but this is a MAJOR upgrade. Sadly she looked a lot hotter the day before, so I was a little disappointed. I reserved my spot in the Powers signings and also in the Black Sails signing (thanks to Mr Notorious from markedout.com for the latter). Joresky then went to the Robot Chicken signing and I joined him. They were checking tickets but all I needed was a photo op with Clare Grant who I constantly fail to get every year. While the handler was saying no posed shot I gave him my camera and asked if he could take my shot with just Clare. While Joresky is getting his Robot Chicken stuff done I score my Clare Grant over the table shot! VICTORY WAS MINE! 

Now over to the Powers signing, despite security screaming no photo ops we clean swept combos with Noah Taylor, Olesya Rulin, Logan Browning, Susan Heyward, Brian Michael Bendis, and Eddie Izzard! Another victory! 

Next up was Rick and Morty. I mooched into the line with Joresky and again, clean swept combos with everyone! Namely Dan Harmon, Justin Roiland, Chris Parnell, and Sarah Chalke (Roseanne). 

Now on to the Black Sails signing. The plan was to go to that then to a Bill Nye panel. Unfortunately the singing started late and it was impossible to do both. We had a backup plan for Nye, namely the signing. At the Black Sails signing it was another clean sweep of combos! Toby Stephens (the main villain in the James Bond movie Die Another Day), Zach McGowen, Luke Arnold, Hannah New, Jessica Parker Kennedy, Toby Schmitz, and producers Robert Levine and Jon Steinberg. This sweeping victory came with a punch in the face unfortunately. The line for the Bill Nye signing was already capped 

While Joresky is getting is Star Trek TNG cast photo op, I wait with Vanessa at the Marvel booth. Watching all these people go up to the signing was painful. They even let a little girl in the signing just for being a little girl. While waiting we see comic book writer/artist Joe Quesada. He does photo ops no problem. Then I find a credit card on the floor. I pick it up. I then ask one of the security guys at the Marvel booth if his name is Michael. He says yes I'm Michael. I tell him he lost his card, and he was ever so grateful. I ask him "does that mean I get to go in the signing" he goes "YES, that means you get to go to the signing". I went underneath the ropes into the line and Vanessa's reaction on the miracle that I pulled off was this face 

In order to help Vanessa out I tell the guy "could you also please take care of my girl" and the guy says he will. So I go through the line I ask for my first photo op with producer Jeph Loeb and someone says "no photo op" but Jeph agrees to it. I then score combos with producer Steven S DeKnight and actors Vincent D'Onofrio (The Kingpin), Deborah Ann Woll, Charlie Cox (Daredevil), and Elden Henson. Since I have Ben Affleck that means I now have both live action Daredevils. 

When I was done a TV screw took me aside and interviewed me about my experience and asked me other general questions while I showcased my signed poster. Apparently I may be in the promos for the TV show. So look out for that! After I was done with the interview I found out Vanessa went through the line so that was good to hear. Vanessa wanted to get The Hurricane. So I looked up the booth number and we went there. She asked me if I would split the photo op with her and I did it as a nice gesture to her and also because he was fully suited and masked so it was a cool shot. 

After this we all go down to see if we could mooch our way into the Bill Nye line, but they were REALLY micromanaging the line. Sadly it seemed like we would not get Bill Nye. We even pleaded to some staff members but no dice. Another crushing defeat came in the fact that we found out that Robert Smigel AKA Triumph the Insult Comic was just walking around but we found that out when it was too late. 

Also, Joresky spotted Jack McBrayer AKA Fix-It Felix walk around to go to the back room area, I tried to chase him down for a photo op but was unsuccessful. 

The last stop for Saturday at NYCC was the room where Mike Tyson was going to do his panel. Scored photo ops with both Judith Roberts and Amy Sedaris leaving. Then we all mooched into the Mike Tyson panel which Vanessa wanted to attend. After it was done I scored a photo op with Rachel Ramras and Vanessa managed to score Mike Tyson but I wasn't able to get that upgrade shot.

Another grueling yet mostly successful day at NYCC was in the books. We head over to a spot where Walking Dead actors were going to be at. Unfortunately it was a mad house. But I manage to get an Andrew Lincoln autograph. 

Next up Vanessa got info where Michael Keaton and Emma Stone were eating. Unfortunately the condition set by the person who had the info was that we had to relinquish to him any autographs we got. We refused since we had photo ops with them, so I just dropped Vanessa off at the spot and me and Joresky went to "easier" spots. In hindsight that was a horrible decision cause Vanessa got a PERFECT Michael Keaton where he looks like Bruce Wayne 

First spot we try for Rose Byrne. I got a perfect shot with her but wanted to try for autographs. While waiting James Earl Jones waves at the crowd. This would be a painful thing for me to see - IF I didn't already have a combo with him. Mark Linn-Baker comes out and I had a photo for him to sign, he said it was a nice photo. I marked out as I yelled "cousin Larry" to him which made him smile. 
The other names we got there were names and we later found out Rose Byrne no showed at the spot

If I didn't have Mark Linn-Baker this would have been a huge success. But since I had him it wasn't. On to the next spot for Michael Cera and Kieran Culkin. They took forever to come out that many people gave up and left which allowed us to get prime railing spots. Unlike his douche bag of a brother Kieran was friendly and posed. But Cera acted weird and would stand away or look away as he said "take it". But I managed to jump close to him and get a valid shot. 

The last spot for the evening was a spot for Bill Hader. We weren't expecting to see much, but boy did this spot flourish with random celebrities. Seth Rogen came in but didn't bother since I had him and wanted to give Joresky the shot. Leaving I got an upgrade shot (he was wearing a cap in my previous shot). Upgraded my shots with Steven Yeun and Robert Kirkman from walking dead. Paul Rudd, Sebastian Stan, Edward Norton, and Kristen Wiig did basically nothing. Rudd and Stan I have already, but needed Wiig and Norton. Though Norton is always an asshole. Another heart breaking rejection for me was Zach Galifianakis who used "social media" as an excuse for not doing photo ops. However I still had my Hangover photos handy cause of Bradley Cooper randomly showing up the night before, and he happily signed my 8x10. Would have much rather had the photo op though. 

The last person in the spot that I still needed a photo op with was Jack McBrayer who I failed to get at NYCC. I was dead set on this one so I waited it out even after all graphers left and even Joresky went to the car to nap. The spot let out, the doors were closing, I see a bunch of people come out at like 5am and still no signs of Jack! WTF! Did I miss him in exits? The workers were already putting the tables and chairs away. Then finally I see him. He was literally the last non-staff member to leave the restaurant! I ask for a photo op and I get it. My reaction was this face 

Since Vanessa wanted to attend NYCC with us in a few hours, she chose to crash in the car as well. We parked close to NYCC and got some VERY much needed sleep. 

Gillian Anderson (Dana Scully in the X-Files)

Toby Stephens (Die Another Day, Black Sails)

Charlie Cox (Daredevil in the Daredevil netflix tv series)

Vincent D'Onofrio (The Kingpin in the Daredevil netflix tv series)

Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Page in the Daredevil netflix tv series)

Jack McBrayer (Fix-It-Felix in Wreck-It Ralph)


Seth Rogen

Full list of Saturday NYCC photo ops part 1

Full list of Saturday NYCC photo ops part 2

Fill list of Saturday NYC photo ops part 1

Fill list of Saturday NYC photo ops part 2

NYCC autographs part 1

NYCC autographs part 2

NYC autographs part 1

NYC autographs part 2


Sunday

Again, the day starts off with NYCC. Since I was still feeling the blow of missing out on Bill Nye the prior day, I was dead set on making it to the American Dad signing before that got capped off. Thankfully we make the signing. 

When it starts they're of course yelling no photo ops but I snag photo ops with everyone as they're yelling. Swept combos with producers Brian Boyle and Matt Weitzman and voice actors Wendy Schaal, Rachael MacFarlane, Scott Grimes, and Dee Bradley Baker. Upon leaving I sadly realized that I fucked up my photo ops with Brian and Matt. The first one was so blurry it's garbage, the second I'm looking away from the camera. Thankfully the ones with the voice actors came out fine that's the important thing. 

After this success we go upstairs to the booths for a free signing with Steve Wilkos, head of security for the Jerry Springer show. Got a free signed lunch box and a photo op. After this we got free photo ops with Gary Sohmers, host of PBS’s Antiques Roadshow and Lloyd Kaufman, president of Troma and creator the Toxic Avenger. 

Now there was a Bret Hart signing for his Simpsons action figure at the NECA booth. Vanessa wanted to meet Bret, unfortunately they said they stopped selling the figures. Vanessa was upset about that but I checked back later and they began selling them again. Both Vanessa and Joresky ended up getting him. 

There was also a photo op session with the cast of the Thrilling Adventure Hour but we had the timing wrong and missed that. 

The last stop at NYCC was a Jerry Springer signing. Thankfully he was nice as can be. He handed out a free cape which I had him sign, a free 8x10 which he signed and personalized for everyone, AND I had two 8x10s of my own which I got him to sign, plus the photo op. Wow why can't all celebrities be that nice and stress free. Good overall name and extra good name for me due to his appearances on RAW. Hell, there was even a Weird Al song about him. 

After Springer we left the convention. I was so damn tiered from running around all these days that I didn't check updates to NYCC since I wanted to get out of there so bad. And for that I got a punch in the face. We missed a panel with Josh Duhamel who did photo ops there 

After NYCC we head to a spot for Callie Thorne (TVs Rescue Me), Elizabeth Reaser (Twilight). Get Callie plus a couple of  names then finally we see Elizabeth dashing away. We chase her down and she is more than happy to do combos. 

We scouted out other spots after that but they were duds, then I dropped off Vanessa and me and Joresky left. This ended a very fruitful few days. 

Wendy Schaal (Francine in American Dad)

Rachael MacFarlane (Hayley in American Dad)

Scott Grimes (Steve in American Dad)

Dee Bradley Baker (Klaus in American Dad)

Jerry Springer


Full list of Sunday photo ops

NYCC autographs part 1

NYCC autographs part 2

NYCC autographs part 3

NYC autographs

No comments:

Post a Comment