Sunday, November 30, 2014

Rhode Island Comic Con weekend 2014

Finally, I get to report on my final con of 2014. Just like last year RICC impressed me with its array of rare guests that you hardly see elsewhere. John Rhys-Davies from Lord of the Ring, a bunch of lower tier Star Wars guests that I've never seen elsewhere, and even some key Power Rangers guests, among other things. 

Friday

The weekend starts Friday on Halloween night in NYC where me and hope to find some Halloween parties full of celebrities. But first we go to a spot where it's a little more guaranteed. First spotting by Joresky is a random in Celia Weston. Then Bill Pullman comes out. I have so many photo ops with him I didn't bother for another, but I got my photos signed. Me and Joresky had the same photo from Independence Day and he made it a point to sign them both in the worst spot for each of us 

Next up is actress Holly Hunter, a fresh meet for me. She came out with a scarf and took that off for photo ops, signed for us, but didn't sign more than one. Didn't bother to beg cause if the celeb does at least one full combo not worth the effort to beg. 

Finally Richard Chamberlain comes out and signs my photos no problem and I get another photo op with him. 

Since we had the timing wrong we had to wait out in the cold more than we wanted to, but all in all this spot is a sweeping success. 

We scouted out a possible Halloween spot for celebrities but didn't see much. In any case it was raining pretty bad so we called it a night. 

Holly Hunter (Thirteen, The Incredibles, among others)

Full list of photo ops

Autographs

Saturday

In this day we are joined by markedout.com's Greg2600 and Gary G Watson. We drive to Rhode Island and arrive there later than hoped. But we found free parking. A good start. 

After a successful mooch, me and Gary G enter RICC. I got NO autographs at this con so anything listed is photo op only. 

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa: The first stop after entry. He played Shang Tsung in the Mortal Kombat movie. 

Karen Ashley: The second yellow Power Ranger. 

David Fielding: Another Power Ranger guest.  

Austin St John: The original Red Ranger! Took a shot with and without the helmet. 

Michael Kingma: He played the Wookie Tarfful in Revenge of the Sith

Ralph Brown: Had a role in Phantom Manace. 

Mark Dodson: He voiced Salacious Crumb in Return of the Jedi, also voiced Gremlins. Did me the Salacious laugh in person when doing the photo op, which was awesome. 

Gerald Home: Mon Calamari in Return of the Jedi. Got a FREE photo op. 

Femi Taylor: She played Oola in Return of the Jedi. Good lower Star Wars name that has eluded me. 

Brian Muir: He sculpted some of the Star Wars props including Darth Vader's helmet. Wasn't planning to paying for him but he did FREE photo ops. 

Katrina Law: Nyssa al Ghul in Arrow. After I got the photo op she takes a selfie with me (which she also did with others apparently). 

Terry Carter: From Battlestar Galactica. Was hooked by Gary G with a FREE photo op. 

Rebecca Mader: She played the wicked witch of the west in Once Upon a Time. 

Finally it was time for John Rhys-Davies from Lord of the Ring. He was sadly pro only, but I split it with Joresky. 

John Rhys-Davies

Full list of RICC photo ops

After this it back to NYC for some more meets. Our first stop was a spot for Rose Byrne. Ufnortunately this spot was met with a punch in the face. We remembered another spot with Forest Whitaker, Susan Sarandon, and Michael Stipe. But since we remembered too late we decided to stick this one out Rose Byrne came out with Bobby Cannavale! I got Rose to sign my magazine and photo, but sadly failed to get a Bobby photo op. 

Last spot for the evening, and unfortunately it is ultra cold and windy, I get some photo ops but nothing too great. I wanted to upgrade my Chris Rock photo op and get some autographs, but he did nothing going in or out. Prince was supposed to show up but didn't. 

After Chris Rock did nothing I decided it wasn't worth staying out in the cold for this spot. So I went in the car. 

Full list of NYC Saturday photo ops

Rose Byrne autographs

Sunday

First I wanted to try to get upgraded shots with Carol Burnett and  Brian Dennehy. As I arrive I unfortunately find out I missed Carol who went in another way. While waiting Daniel Sunjata is spotted across the street. We get photo ops though I already had him. Then Brian shows up and I get a photo op. 

After this we chill and grab some dollar pizza as we gear up for the next round. 

First spot is a spot for Cynthia Nixon and Ewan McGregor. Joresky wanted Ewan, and I wanted Cynthia. From what we knew, Cynthia comes out the back and Ewan the front. I waited for Cynthia at the railing in the back while Joresky waited for Ewan. 

What happens, Cynthia comes out the front Wow what a big blow in the face!


After this I rush to a spot for actress Joely Richardson. Thankfully she comes out and we get her no issue. 


After this back to the Rose Byrne spot to get Joresky a good photo op and to check if Bobby comes out. Sadly no luck on Bobby. Checked out a spot for Josh Radnor and Gretchen Mol but we were too late. 

At this point we bought some dollar pizza and headed out.

I consider the post RICC portion a bust. While I did not leave empty handed, what I did get was not worth all that time, effort, and cold. I suppose you can't always hit a home run 


Joely Richardson

Full list of photo ops for Sunday







No comments:

Post a Comment